PDA

View Full Version : scalp driving me nuts

mimiflower07
01-06-2008, 11:02 AM
hi everyone...happy new yr. tried to take a cancer break while trying to enjoy the xmas holidays which we did. Just a weird question. Have any of you had a lot of scalp irritation. My scalp is very tender, and itchy!! It feels like i have about 10-15 little under the skin pimples. Or is it the hair follicles dying. I will be having my third chemo this week so am expecting more scalp irritation. In the big picture this is very minor but wondered if others could relate. Its hard to even wear my wig. Never really gave my scalp a second thought but for me this seems to be my problem area.
It seems to settle then flares up in the evening..any how thats my concern other wise chemo is going...i now have an app for my mugga Feb 11. thanks to all of ya
suzanne

Brenda_D
01-06-2008, 12:34 PM
My scalp hurt quite a bit when my hair started falling out, about 15 days after starting chemo (AC).
I think it's pretty common. It's one of those things we endure.

KellyA
01-06-2008, 12:42 PM
Hi there,
I had a very sore (itchy to start) scalp when I started chemo. It began to bother me when my hair was getting ready to fall out and then stayed that way for a few weeks. After that it was fine. It was so uncomfortable, I couldn't brush or even wash my hair and it bothered me to have anything touch it at all. I think your discomfort will ease up soon.

Love, Kelly

mimiflower07
01-06-2008, 04:01 PM
thanks..i was thinking that this was very common but you never know!
Kelly your photo is so beautiful you look great and happy. I really wish this was something none of us would have to endure...
suzanne

KellyA
01-06-2008, 04:29 PM
Suzanne,
Thank you very much for your sweet pic comment. Oh, how I wish this was something that no one had to endure. It is such a huge mountain to climb, and seems so overwhelming at times, especially in the beginning. But over time, the most beautiful thing happens, and life takes a very unexpected turn... in reflection, what a gift this experience has been, and the joy in life that may have not always been there, or at least was taken for granted before bc, has given me an outlook on life that I never would have had.

Hang in there- time will pass, things will get better, and you will find out so many wonderful things about yourself that you didn't know before. This time next year you will have a head of new hair, and a whole new outlook.

P.S.- Cold compresses worked wonders for my scalp. My hubby would wet and freeze a washcloth for me (so there was no hard ice against my head). I had so many washclothes and popsicles (helped with my nausea) in the freezer, there was no room for any food!!!!!

Love, Kelly

Mary Jo
01-06-2008, 04:43 PM
Hi Suzanne,

You are right......it would be nice if this was something none of us had to endure BUT listen to Kelly. She is a wise woman. This "journey" you are embarking on is tough. Way beyond words. But, that being said, I repeat what Kelly said and know that you will get through this like we did. And, also I agree with what she said in that what you will learn and gain from your experience will go beyond anything you could imagine. Yes, again, Kelly is right in her saying "what a gift this experience has been." (man that Kelly is a smart cookiehttp://her2support.org/vbulletin/images/icons/icon7.gif) Of course this all takes time. Afterall, it's a journey - a long, hard one. Things will be learned each step of the way and you will be amazed at how differently you will look at life and all it's blessings. Sending hugs and love to you "sister."

Also hoping the "prickly" head leaves you soon. It didn't last just too long for me. Just a few days before the hair came out and maybe a week or two past that.

Peace to you friend,

Mary Jo

sassy
01-06-2008, 05:13 PM
Suzanne,

I have to agree with Kelly and Mary Jo, this is a tough journey and one I would not have willingly started nor wished on anyone. However, as with anything in life, one must look at the positive of any situation and this one has definitely had a positive side for me.

I discovered how many caring friends and family members that I truly have. So many prayers, so much help, so many kind gestures: I might not have had the opportunity to experience all this otherwise. As Kelly said, life takes on a whole new meaning and your appreciation of it grows tremendously.

I found that rubbing coco butter on my head helped the itching prickly feeling. As a matter of fact, I eventually rubbed it on my whole body--it just seemed to make me feel more comfortable. I also found that wearing scarves and hats was more comfortable than wearing my wig. I only wore my wig for other people--when I thought that others would be more comfortable with my wig than with a hat or scarf. I was perfectly comfortable anywhere in just a hat or scarf, and went bald at home. My sons' friends quickly became comfortable with my baldness!

Although it may seem endless now, this will pass and you will grow back beautiful hair.

My best wishes to you,

Jackie07
01-06-2008, 05:57 PM
I called a dermatologist in the hospital when I got scheduled for my chemo. He told me to quit using the prescription shampoo (I've been using Ketoconizole alternates with DHS Zinc shampoo for almost 17 years) and just use the Zinc shampoo.
Any scalp problems you have, I would think it's best to talk to a dermatologist.

Bev
01-06-2008, 08:46 PM
Scalp Therapy by Nioxin helped. Sort of Eucalyptus, menthol. Good luck, Bev

suzan w
01-07-2008, 08:27 AM
After my second chemo treatment (A/C) my scalp became very sore and itchy...then the hair started to fall out. My scalp was very sensitive throughout treatment...could not stand anything touching it...no hats, scarves...sometimes even the wind hurt!!! I used an organic body lotion made by Nature's Gate . When my hair started to grow in it was also very itchy and I used the Nioxin products and found that they really helped. A funny chemo story: I was at the movies in the restroom and there were 3 teenaged girls there too. They were washing up when I was in the "stall". They were very loud and talking about how awful they looked. Just as I came out of the stall one of them announced that her hair looked so bad people probably thought she was on chemo. Well...she just about choked when she saw bald me. I just smiled. I heard her say to her friends as they walked out, "Oh I can't believe I just said that...that poor lady..." So, maybe a teenager learned something that day, eh???

Susan M(PA)
01-11-2008, 08:41 PM
I have the dry itchy scalp with little bumps, too. I'm on Tykerb and Xeloda. I had hives on my arms, legs and torso on the first round. Doc lowered the Xeloda to 1500, down from 3000 mg. The body itch and hives stopped, but I still feel the itch scalp may be allergy related. I suppose it could be the toxicity.

I find taking my dose of daily flax seed oil helps (Barleans brand), fatty acids are great for the skin, anti-allergy, better yet has anti-cancer benefit in breast cancer studies. I also like Aveeno eczema care body wash for my hair and scalp.

Good luck!

Susan M(PA)