PDA

View Full Version : Worried about liver mets

lisajones4
01-05-2008, 03:22 PM
Hi everyone. I was hoping to vent. I am so very scared.

I have had pains on my lower right side for the last few days and now I am having slight pain (feels more like a muscle pull) in my right shoulder blade. I am so worried that this could be related to my liver. I had scans done at the end of October and those were clear. I am going to see my dr. for my three-month check-up on Friday.

I tend to still carry my four-year old daughter on that side and carry all heavy things on this side (since it is the opposite of my lumpectomy). Could the cancer grow that quickly in 2 months? Any thoughts would really help!

Lisa

Mary Anne in TX
01-05-2008, 03:44 PM
Lisa! I know that you must be totally worried at this moment! But you know, it could be over doing it over the holidays or something else simple. I hope it is absolutely nothing! I'll be praying that that is so! But try to save the fear for when you get bad news and then for only moments! Don't let this stupid disease rob you of this week with your family! You'll know soon enough. "Own" this time til then, if at all possible! Maybe getting mad would help!
Lots of love,
ma

penelope
01-05-2008, 05:26 PM
Lisa, on word....gallbladder.

I had pains EXACTLY where you describe for over a year (right shoulder blade and below right rib cage). Two ultrasounds and a CT scan said there was nothing wrong with me. I had a HIDA scan and that showed that my gallbladder was functioning at 13%.

I was scared it was my liver too, but it wasn't.

mslinda
01-05-2008, 06:02 PM
Sounds like my gallbladder problems. I didn't have a severe attack but just annoying pains and going up to my chest and shoulder. I also though of a heart attack. But it was gallbladder. And this was before breast cancer. I still have nagging pains on the right side. I have been ultra sound, cat scanned, pet scanned and MRI'd, but nothing. So I just ignore them now. I have said a prayer that this is something simple. You take care.
Linda

BonnieR
01-05-2008, 06:14 PM
I agree with the others. It is interesting that gallbladder pain can be experienced in the right shoulder. But it happened to me too.
Or it could be the lifting, etc, that you've been doing.

ETA: amazing that we consider it a GOOD thing to "only" have a gallbladder attack!

lisajones4
01-06-2008, 07:48 AM
Thank you so much for your responses. It has helped my "psyche" tremendously! You guys are awesome!

Becky
01-06-2008, 08:58 AM
Although I agree with everyone - still get it checked out by your onc to be 100% sure. Unless it goes completely away - don't just ignore it. Even if it is a gallbladder attack, you may need treatment for that.

Love and a hug to you

Mary Jo
01-06-2008, 05:30 PM
Hi Lisa,

I don't have a clue what it could be - of course - but DO have a clue on how it feels to worry about those pesky problems and always wondering if the cancer has returned. I've had many scares (as we all have) and for me each time is is nothing.

Of course you know you have to tell your onc. and they will determine for you what it is.

I'm only responding so I can tell you that I know how you feel - I know that unsettling feeling we get - BUT I also know that it can all turn out well and that each pain we get isn't always cancer.

Just wanting to encourage you and to say I understand,

Mary Jo

BonnieR
01-06-2008, 05:40 PM
Oh, yes, I agree with Becky. Even if it is "just" gallbladder, it needs to be checked out. I had to have surgery. Not saying you will......

Rupali
01-06-2008, 06:09 PM
Hi Lisa,
Are you on aromasin and Tykerb...
I have similar feeling and I am going to the doc tomorrow...
Regards,
RUpali

Jackie07
01-06-2008, 07:11 PM
I had the same worry after celebrated New Year. But when I saw my oncologist for a routine check Wednesday, he did not even try to take a look. Then I realized that I had cleaned all the ceiling fans in my In-law's house - 7 of them- before Christmas. That must be the cause of it. I am going to wait a couple more weeks and see if it will go away.

lisajones4
01-06-2008, 09:45 PM
Thanks everyone. I finished Herceptin almost a year ago.

The pain in my shoulder went away after some tylenol today and it hasn't come back. I am hoping the side pain will go as well.

I am going to the doctor on Friday. I will keep you updated. Thanks again!

Lissa

StephN
01-09-2008, 02:01 PM
Doing this as I too have been having symptoms of gall bladder trouble. The pains, some nausea and tenderness in my right front abdomen. This thread got my attention focused and I saw my GP yesterday.

Having already had liver mets, I knew this seemed different.

Hope Lissa's pains will be just a form of "ceilingfanitis."

kareneg
01-09-2008, 03:23 PM
Hi lISA,

I agree with Becky get it checked better to be safe and have no worries then to worry. Your in my thoughts and prayers.

lisajones4
01-19-2008, 12:12 PM
Again, thank you for all of your encouragement. I had blood work last week and it was in "normal range." Do you think I should push for a CT scan? I am going back to see my doc in two weeks. Thanks again for all of your help.

Lisa

Rupali
01-19-2008, 12:53 PM
Hi Lisa,
I had similar pains. Got the blood work done. The liver enzymes came slight bit higher. Doc asked to stop tykerb for one week.
Got the Liver function test done again and all enzymes back to normal.
Got ultrasound of the liver, kidney,spleen gall bladder - all normal..
The pain went away for a few days and now after 3-4days Ihave it again.
I asked onc for CT scan and she said its not needed as I had PET scan in December and everything was ok.
I am scared and dont know what to do.
Taking Tykerb again as monotherapy but the doc decreased the dose to 4 tablets.
They will do a new blood test next Friday....

Any suggestions.

Regards,
Rupali

Sherryg683
01-19-2008, 10:30 PM
Let me just say this...my brother has melanoma and over half of his liver is eaten up with cancer. He has had no pain in that area and his Oncologist at MD Anderson has said that the liver rarely produces painful side effects. I know us with cancer always worry about every pain. It is always good to have it checked out...sherryg