PDA

View Full Version : Your Experience with Zometa

doh2pa
01-04-2008, 12:58 PM
Hi All,

I am trying to make the decision whether or not to begin Zometa. The benefits are very clear to me but I'm concerned about side effects and risks. I know about the jaw osteonecrosis (I will have to be cleared by my dentist) but are there any other side effects out there or other things I need to consider. Also, how often did you get an infusion and for how long?

Any info you could give would be greatly appreciated.

Believe51
01-04-2008, 01:20 PM
Ed has been on Zometa since diagnosis(16 months) with little or no side effects. Infusions are once a month and may be infused at 15 or 30 minutes, it actually takes us longer waiting for the drug to arrive than the infusion itself. As for the jaw issue it is like any other scary side effect, not everyone gets affected, but it does weigh heavy on the decision to take it. He had no choice since his bones were full of many lytic lesions and severe degeneration of bone. I hope you get replies from us all that will aid in your decision. Until then take care My Friend and keep fighting the good fight. Lots of love and hugs>>Believe51

Verna
01-04-2008, 01:20 PM
Zometa is probaly one of the easiest treatments I've had to do. No side effects for me. I get a 20 minute treatment every 4 weeks and have for 2 years now. I do worry about needing dental work, but will cross that bridge when something happens. I still get me teeth cleaned every 6 months like normal.

Before Zometa I did Aridea, but that was if I can remember 1 1/2 hr. treatment every 3 weeks. They are both the same, bone strengtheners. Some insurance company's won't do the Zometa, but I never had a problem with them.

Hope this helps,

Verna-

Bill
01-04-2008, 05:25 PM
Hi Donna! My wife, Nikki had Zometa every four weeks for 2 years and the only side effect she had was she said it made her feel a little achy for a few days. It only took 15 minutes for that bag. Hope this helps. Love, Bill

Becky
01-04-2008, 07:22 PM
Dear Donna

I get infused once every 6 months in order to ward off increased osteoporesis since I had my ovaries removed and started taking an aromotase inhibitor. I had achy flu-like symptoms for 2 days when I took Zometa at the same time as when I also had a Herceptin infusion. Once Herceptin treatments were done and I only had Zometa alone, I had no symptoms.

sassy
01-04-2008, 10:52 PM
I have Zometa infusion once a year. My first gave me significant flu like syptoms for two days, but nothing else. My next infusion is the first of February, so I'll find out if the side effects have diminished.

Colleen007
01-05-2008, 10:53 AM
I get a Zometa infusion every 6 weeks (and have been since December of 2005). The first time I got it, I had a fever. Since then, I don't really experience side effects. You only have to be worried about the jaw osteonecrosis if you have to have major dental work (like a root canal). I still go to the dentist for cleanings twice a year as usual.

hutchibk
01-05-2008, 07:00 PM
I just learned before Christmas that I now have osteoporosis in the lumbar spine and still osteopenia (thought increased) in the hips. So, we are also planning to start Zometa. We have talked about once every 3 months, I think. I plan to go to the dentist first and have all necessary deep cleanings and fillings done before we start, and then I will make every effort to be a good kid and brush and floss twice a day....

It's also important to take your calcium and vitamin D... and I am doing research currently to find out the appropriate dosage of those in conjunction with the Zometa. Will let you know what I find out. Here's a link to Novartis with some good info:
http://www.us.zometa.com/info/therapy/breast_cancer.jsp?irmasrc=ZOMWB0084

doh2pa
01-07-2008, 12:37 PM
Thank you all for your replies. It's a great help to get info from the people in the know. I think I will probably go ahead and do this, so thanks for making the decision a little easier.

dchips1
01-08-2008, 10:08 PM
Iwas on Zometa and no problem until I needed a root canal and the dental assistant scraped the inside of my gums and the wound never healed. I do reccomend after much problems and now braces to save my teeth and help me eat that if you do need much more than a cleaning use hyperbaric oxygen treatment according to Marxx protocal. I went from many open areas and loose teeth to 1 very tiny exposed piece of healthy bone. Any time you go to the dentist it is kid gloves///the need to be experienced, gentle and as noninvasive as possible. The lower jaw is worse than the upper for osteonecrosis. We need more research and MD Dentist training to help heal, save jaws and have good quality of life. PS I also got my primary Health insurance to pick up some dental expenses. Good luck with your deciscion on Zometa.