PDA

View Full Version : Are antioxidant supplements contraindicated?

CLTann
01-02-2008, 08:15 PM
During the haze and fleecing moment at the first discussion with my onc, I vaguely remembered his advice of not taking concentrated soy extract. Then he said something about vitamin C. I couldn't recall whether anti oxidants are okay or contraindicated.

I am taking Femara at the present time. Do any of you have any idea whether anti-oxidants, particularly glutathione peroxide, are acceptable for b.c. patients taking AI inhibitors?

I would like to try these for a skin condition. Thanks.

Sheila
01-03-2008, 05:45 AM
Ann
I was told not to take them while doing chemo...I think Dr's have different opinions on this, or maybe don't know patients are taking them.

Lolly
01-03-2008, 01:06 PM
My onc has said not to take mega doses of anything, especially while on chemo. He feels whole foods that are high in vitamins, minerals, anti-oxidants are ok, but that evidence is showing that anti-oxidant supplements while on chemo can actually help the cancer cells rejuvinate themselves, just as a normal cell will be helped. So, I don't take anything without running it by him, as I'm always on chemo. The supplements he's ok'd for me include: acidophilus, melatonin, Co-Q10(100 mg), B6(50 mg 2 x's a day), calcium, magnesium, and Vit. D.
Don't know if this applies to hormonals, but you should ask your onc. Some here go to nutritionists for counsel while on treatment, just would need to find one who specializes in BC patients.

<3 Lolly

Bill
01-03-2008, 07:38 PM
Hi Ann, I distinctly remember Nikki asking her doctor about taking anti-oxidants. He said that she should not take megadoses because it would be contraindicative. Something about trying to oxidize the cancer cells, I think, not sure. A few months later, he was approached to head a national cancer study and left the practice. He was renowned in the field and stayed current. He was the one who pointed Nikki in the direction of the Taxol/Lapatinib/Herceptin clinical trials. I hope this helps. Love, Bill

Belinda
01-04-2008, 08:19 PM
I think it works this way. Chemo drugs (ac's etc - not herceptin) are basically very powerful oxidants - they kill growing cells. The concern is that by taking powerful anti-oxidants (to try and help heal our remaining cells like our livers by protecting them from oxidants, to help them through chemo) we are likely to cause the anti-oxidants to cancel out the oxidants (like chemo) and make chemo less effective on the cells we are wanting to have killed.

My decision was just to eat healthily, but not do juicing or anything unusually high in antioxidants, till chemo was over. I wasn't gonna go through that for nothing...

Hope you are all well.

Bx