PDA

View Full Version : Problem?

kimber
01-02-2008, 08:45 AM
Good morning ladies and gents. Please view my signature to give yourself a brief update on my cancer journey.

All has been going along beautifully. Then as of the last week or two my left chest is very painful. There is a very painful spot to the touch. Also an over all feeling of pressure or tightness - sore. Now keep in mind I did have full chest wall rad's. However, that ended in Jan 06. Never a problem before. Am I being paranoid. Is this just a problem coming from the past rads. This just feels different. Could it be the implants. Any comments ladies??

p.s. Hope everyone had a wonderful New Year's eve. Here is to a wonderful new year for all of us!!!!

juanita
01-02-2008, 05:41 PM
I had rads ending in Jan 05. A couple months ago I developed a really painful spot on inner left breast. It hurt to move, breathe, whatever. I went to rad onc and he sent me for tests. Turns out a rib seperated from sternum, he said probably weakend from rads and then anything could have caused it to seperate. So yes it could still be from rads. Go see a doc just to be sure.

DonnaD
01-02-2008, 07:54 PM
Kimber,
I can not say exactly what is going on with you. But I would encourage you to call your onc and perhaps your radiation onc as well.

My situation is different but you may find a few things similar. I finished radiation in May of 07. I had rib pain but tried to work through it. Chest x ray showed nothing. By Sept it was very troublesome. Onc did a rib view that showed 3 fractured ribs, two outside the radiated area and one in the radiated area. A CT followed that showed 3 nodules in the lung in the radiated area as well . After many consults they decided all was from radiation. My radiation onc said radiation does weaken the bone and up to 20% have fractures from it.

I am going in on Friday for another CT as a follow up. Things seem to be better but the radiation onc said ribs weaken by radiation are very slow to heal. I expect no real change with slight improvement.

For peace of mind call your oncs and chat with them. I welcomed additional tests to be sure all was okay. Good luck to you and keep us informed.

Donna

kimber
01-03-2008, 07:54 AM
Thanks for the advice! I have scheduled an appointment. I guess I just needed the permission to go to the doctor. If you know what I mean. Will let you know.

Have a great day!! -kim