PDA

View Full Version : Hopefully the FDA will approve ...

Jean
12-30-2007, 10:20 AM
New article on Bevacizumab (Avastin) drug....
Hopefully this news will encourage the FDA panel to approve this
drug in Feb...the trials showed favorable results. Another weapon
to be used against this nasty disease.

Jean

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/92750.php

Sheila
12-30-2007, 11:23 AM
Jean
This study was done where I go for treatment...at Rush in Chicago...Dr Cobleigh is one of the brest oncologists there who trained under my oncologist, Dr Wolter at Rush...I agree wholeheartedly on the effectiveness, but the cardiac issues which seem to worsen with the age of the women, still need to be assessed. This was stressed at the Genentech luncheon I attended....by YSC, SHARE etc....where it was stressed that "this drug needs more testing, what good is it if you prevent a woman from dying of breast cancer and she has a stroke or heart attack instead"....it did wonders on my neck nodes, but I paid a price with my B/P....hopefully all will resolve.

Jean
12-30-2007, 12:09 PM
Yes, Sheila your correct about the B/P...as a matter of fact I spoke with
my onc. while at S.A. and mentioned your B/P...he has had great success with Avastin and is a strong supporter... He thought that maybe you could have your onc. give you half the dosage of the Avastin since the trial had made mentioned regarding this...I explained that you are now off the drug. He gives his patients half the dosage and has had great results with B/P plus additional changes in B/P meds.

This drug shows pomise....I understand what your saying regarding the B/P unfortunately with all these meds there are some nasty and yes,
dangerous side effects.

Regards,
Jean

Sheila
12-30-2007, 12:22 PM
Jean
You are right about the side effects, and I think the other drugs it is given with can cause a more dramatic effect...if the FDA approves it in February, my insurance company will pay for it and maybe I will be put on a lower dose. In being off a month, by B/P has dropped 30 points....still on meds, but that is a significant impprovement. Its a shame that with drugs that work, there are so many side effects!