PDA

View Full Version : Joanne "Jojo" d'almeida (1968 - 2007)

Rozebud
12-29-2007, 01:46 PM
Dear friends of Jojo…..I hate to bring this news, but I received this email from Jojo’s husband this morning:

Joanne "JoJo" d'Almeida was suffering with Breast Cancer for 4 and half years. She passed away on Dec 28th, 2007 around 3:40pm. We miss her.
Jo's Husband, David

I don’t have any other details than that. I was blessed to “know” Jojo. I first met her on this message board, in June 2004. I remember we started emailing immediately, both stage IIIC and on herceptin. Then, within 2 weeks of me “knowing” her – she recurred, to a neck node and to her brain. I thought often of how lonely it must be to be both living with metastatic cancer and to be deaf. I know it brought her a level of peace and understanding I’ll never know….but I also know it was very isolating for her. She was in so much pain over the past several years….in and out of the hospital….so God has finally freed her from her pain.

My girls have a whole set of Jojo’s Circus toys thanks to her J . I remember how excited she was to go to the Summer 2004 Olympics in Greece. She was always asking about other people on the boards and praying for them. And she was using a pager and small technical gadgets WAY before me!!

I’m going to miss Jo. I wanted to share some excerpts from emails over the years. God bless all of you – Rose

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c320/Rozekopecky/JojoandRosesmall.jpg

When asked how she responds to people saying she’s brave (7/07):
But while at it, I actually become rather speechless, or just mumble a response in modesty, whenever people tell me that I am being strong for dealing with such an ordeal. Honestly, I don't really know if I DO have that kind of strength. I guess I just can't see myself, not a good & clear way... maybe I show a stoic personality?? Just guessing!

Thoughts of Survival and God (8/05):

Remember I told you a while ago about my so-called mantra? Well, I was watching a TV documentary on cancer patients. Some people don't make it, others do. I only remember the lucky guy in the show. He was actually an atheist & like Lance Armstrong, he refused to credit his survivorship to God or anything else beyond "earth life". I forgot which cancer he had, but it was pretty advanced. I think his sheer willpower made a difference, just like Lance's. Anyway, the guy said in the show that he did see some survival data, but he arbitrarily decided that numbers don't matter at all and that we could survive.
That was his own mantra. So, this show kinda got me thinking about my own persective on survival data.... Just ignore it & really believe that I could survive. Of course, with my faith, I ask God to agree with me. :-) Like I said, God is the big boss here!

I know this has been said over & over & over all the time, but truly "time does pass & things get easier." It's always the hardest at newly diagnosed, but we eventually get used to it. I'm feeling a bit more 'normal' now than before. Oh, of course I have my 'scared' days every now & then, BUT I do also have 'best' days!!!

After I had a clean PET scan (summer 05):
I just stopped, then praised God on your scan. Whenever I feel anything negative about my cancer (sad, pessimistic, etc), I would try to catch myself in time & remind myself that it ALREADY happened & there is NO way for me to turn back the clock & I gotta DEAL with it NOW, but just hope for anything better in the near future.

Of course, every now & then I would whine to God that I was not brave enough & how I could do about it? I'm only human....
I probably would have felt more jealous [of being cancer-free], if I were hearing, only because I would be so used to taking everything for granted. So, if I wanted to have a better perspective, I could just say that that's one advantage of being deaf. :-)

A Prayer Jojo wrote (10/04):
Dear God,
Cancer is unbelievably hard on us ladies, but it must be 200 times harder on husbands/wives, partners, boy/girlfriends, parents and children as they witness us ladies fight against cancer. May our Dear Lord give them the strength, peace, bravery, grace, mercy and the light (understanding) as they watch our continuous fight. Help them have an easier time to remain on our sidelines and be strong enough to
stand by us consistently, as we ladies need to rely on their love.

Please God, try to cease their guilt "what can I do? I feel so helpless for them" because that can be an unhealthy consumption of their mind & soul. Cancer or not, we still adore them. Cancer just happened & we can't turn back time, but gently lead our loved ones get closer us throughout our difficult ordeal. In the name of our Father, of our Son, and of the Holy Spirit. Amen.

StephN
12-29-2007, 02:04 PM
Dear Rose -

As you know I have been missing her here lately. So sorry to end the year with this awful news.

Jojo was so sweet and supportive of me when my brain mets were discovered. She had one 3 cm right behind her left ear and my larger of two was the same size in the same spot. We then each had open surgery and supported each other through that.

She had such a "never give up" attitude. Thanks for culling out and sharing the Jojo quotes. I know her family feels the loss badly.

Bill
12-29-2007, 02:43 PM
Dear Rose, I'm so sorry for your loss and her family's loss. I know how you feel. I will pray for your comforting and strength. I did not know her, but through your sharing of the e-mails, especially the awesome, awesome prayer, I saw her light shining through. Peace and Love, Bill

Sheila
12-29-2007, 02:44 PM
Rosebud
Thank you for sharing pieces of JoJo with us and letting us know...how sad that yet another is taken from us...JoJo was always there to answer and help whenever she could...I will miss her joy of life and love in her posts. I am saddened to get this news/

Audrey
12-29-2007, 03:07 PM
I'm so sorry to hear of JoJo's passing. I remember how excited we all were for her to go to the Olympics in Greece. She had such kind words for me and others on this board throughout the years...Was she really only in her thirties? Much too young! Thanks for sharing this news, I will say a prayer for her family...

Mary Anne in TX
12-29-2007, 03:25 PM
Bless you, Rose for taking the time to allow us into the heart and mind of JoJo through her emails. That was so kind and thoughtful of you. What a well grounded "girl"! Way too young to join our heavenly warriors (I think 99 is too young too)! I'll add JoJo's name to our prayer/candle list so that we can remember her next time around. God bless us and care for us as we enter the new year. May our loss list be VERY SHORT (0 would be appropriate) and the victories many in the New Year! ma

RhondaH
12-29-2007, 03:49 PM
thank you for sharing that...so sad that this happened. I TOO remember JoJo as being so sweet and kind. Heaven has been blessed with another angel.

Rhonda

Chelee
12-29-2007, 03:50 PM
Rose, Thanks so much for letting us know about JoJo. Its so sad when we lose yet another sister to this darned disease. JoJo was such a kind, caring and compassionate person. She was always there to try to help and encourage others when she had more then enough on her own plate to deal with. This really saddens me.

I really appreciate you taking the time to share parts of her emails with us. She was such a beautiful person and one that will surely be missed.

Chelee

sherri
12-29-2007, 05:11 PM
Very sad news. She will be missed like other angels.

Soccermom
12-29-2007, 05:17 PM
Dear Roze,
Thank you for sharing the "specialness" of JoJo with us. So sad to lose yet another one of our Sisters.

Big hug for you and my sincerest sympathies to Jo Jo's family.

Marcia

Karen W
12-29-2007, 06:01 PM
Dear Rose,

Thank you for the information about Jojo. I will miss her.

I am sending hugs, prayers and strength to her family.

Karen

lexigirl
12-29-2007, 06:12 PM
This makes me so sad. While I know that she is free from the pain she has been in for years, she was far too young to be taken. Jo was very kind to me after my diagnosis. We pm'd back and forth and hoped to meet up one day. I hadn't heard from her in some time and was hoping that she was okay. JoJo will be sorely missed. My prayers for her family.

Lexi

Julie2
12-29-2007, 07:55 PM
So sorry to hear the news about Jojo. I surely miss her. She is an amazing person. My heartfelt condelenses to her family.

Julie

Joanne S
12-29-2007, 07:58 PM
Rose,

Although I didn't know Jojo, I can clearly see what a special lady she was. I read her writings that you posted, and was so truly touched by her prayer, I broke down in tears.

In sympathy,

Yorkiegirl
12-29-2007, 08:32 PM
Rose thank your sharing this with us.

Thoughts and prayers go out to her family during this difficult time.

Jean
12-29-2007, 09:19 PM
Dear Rose,
How sad to hear this news....your post and tribute to Jojo is so beautiful
and bitter sweet.

It is so sad to add yet another of our dear sisters to the list.

Kind Regards,
jean

IRENE FROM TAMPA
12-29-2007, 09:59 PM
This is another sad day for me. I am really glad to see 2007 come to and end. It has been a very sad year for this board. We have lost alot of our sisters and it has saddened me to no end.

Let's pray that 2008 will be a better year for all.

hermiracles
12-30-2007, 03:51 AM
This is so very sad. What a beautiful woman.

Blessings
Hermiracles

Kim in CA
12-30-2007, 11:48 AM
Thank You Rose for posting such difficult news. I was afraid that things might not be going well for her by her absence on the board.

She was so upbeat and supportive of me when I was fretting about my brain tumor. I will never forget her kindness. God bless you JoJo, I will remember you always....Kim

Ruth
12-30-2007, 06:09 PM
Oh Rose....I remember her so fondly. We were all diagnosed around the same time and shared many emails and letters. I had not heard from her in so long and was hoping she was OK. Thank you for letting us know. I remember her excitement over Greece and her dream to have children. I am so sad.....

Ruth

AlaskaAngel
12-30-2007, 06:16 PM
Thanks so much, Rozebud. There truly was only one Jojo.

Sincerely,

AlaskaAngel

chrisy
12-30-2007, 10:10 PM
I'm sorry to hear of JoJo's passing. She was in the same clinical trial as I and told me she was not expecting much from it - and sadly this was true for her. Another angel...

tousled1
12-31-2007, 08:16 AM
Thank you for posting about JoJo passing. It's always difficult when we loose another sister to this dreadful disease. My sympathy to her family.

Rozebud
12-31-2007, 09:16 AM
Thank you for your kind words about Jojo. My eyes have tears in them seeing the beautiful things you've written. I know she would be SO touched at the love and support here. I pray she knows all of this and sees this post from heaven. :)

Lolly
12-31-2007, 09:40 PM
I remember JoJo's excitement about going to the Olympics, and her pictures and posts about her trip...we felt like we were all there with her. I'll sure miss her lovely spirit. Blessings to her family.

<3 Lolly

cafe1084
01-01-2008, 09:46 AM
It is always a sad, introspective day when learning of a "sisters" passing. I didn't know Jojo, but her family and friends are in my thoughts and prayers today.

Steph C.