PDA

View Full Version : itchy scar

juanita
12-28-2007, 10:34 PM
My lumpectomy scar has started itching. Not just a slight itch. A drive you nuts, claw your skin off kinda itch. Been doing it about a week and a half. No rash there, it does feel like dry skin, but doesn't look abnormal. Anyone with any ideas? Could it be skin mets? Or what is ibc? I go see the onc week after next so I'll ask him, just thought I'd get some ideas in the meantime.

Chelee
12-28-2007, 11:24 PM
Juanita, I can relate as I get a very intense itch at times by my scar on the right side. In fact its right above it where my orignal mass would of been. It never has a rash or redness to it...but it drives me insane at times! It comes and goes. Since I could not have radiation I really get worried at times thinking its mets. But so far (knock on wood) it will quit all by itself. I just keep a close eye on it...but it does eventually stop. I have no clue what causes it? But when it starts in it does worry me.

So all I *can* say for sure is I have had a "drive you nuts" kind of itch. Its so bad that it doesn't matter what I do nothing can stop it when its happening. So the only advice I have is to put some lotion on it to make sure its not just the skin that's irratated and dried out. See if it eventually stops in a week or so like mine does. I've been having this problem off and on for a good year & half. So don't think the worse even though I know that's easier said then done. At least you see your onc next week and maybe he/she can give you peace of mind. Hang in there.

Chelee

Chelee
12-29-2007, 04:33 PM
Bumping this up for you. :)

Chelee

Joanne S
12-30-2007, 06:19 AM
I too get the itches. I think the itching is probably cut nerves acting up or trying to regenerate. Easier said than done, try not to scratch and just keep an eye on it. Make sure to bath with gentle moisturizing soaps, no antibacterial soaps as they are too drying. If your skin is not too thin and the itching is unbearable, you might try putting a little cortisone cream on.

BonnieR
12-30-2007, 09:51 AM
I occassionally get an itch like that on my arm. Drives me crazy. Totally unrealted to my cancer. Sometimes a topical cream takes too long or does not relieve it so I have found that an ice pack works wonders.