PDA

View Full Version : Skin rash & Heavy period

Faith in Him
12-28-2007, 05:31 PM
Gosh. The last two days have been way too stressful. An extremely heavy period landed me at the OBGYN yesterday. She was surprised at how heavy my period is. She took a tissue sample to make sure nothing pre-cancerous is going on and I will know the results next week. Has anyone had an extremely heavy periods after chemo?

Then I noticed a skin rash right next to my scar from bc surgery. I freaked out. My regular onc was not in today, so I saw another onc. He did not feel that it was anything to be concerned about. It did not have the usually nodule feel to it when its cancer. However, I am scheduled for herceptin on Monday, so they will recheck then.

Wow, I guess I'm still adjusting to the "new normal".

Becky
12-28-2007, 07:26 PM
The last period I got when on chemo (before chemopause) and the first period I had when my period came back was extremely heavy. I didn't even bother with tampons - used overnight pads. They also lasted longer than usual as well. I can't say that they went back to normal because I got my ovaries removed shortly thereafter only because ovarian cancer also runs in my family despite being BRCA 1 & 2 negative.

I think the heaviness is normal for some of us. Secondly, I also got a red mark near my lumpectomy scar that was nothing. Just a red mark, not raised or pimpley or anything. It was there from shortly after rads and is still there - never changing and is just part of the new me.

Mary Jo
12-29-2007, 06:12 AM
Once again I can't offer anything to the heavy period problem you experienced but wanted to offer my love and support as I know you are stressing over the biopsy. I KNOW and UNDERSTAND how stressful tests of any kind can be.

I pray that Peace holds you and that the results come quickly and will say there is nothing wrong (which I'm sure there isn't) and you can get back to the business of living.

Love to you Faith..........Hugs also,

Mary Jo

KellyA
12-29-2007, 01:41 PM
Hi there. I did have some of the same difficulties with my period when it returned. I had a normal cycle through the AC, but lost it during the Taxol. Then nothing for about 8 mos or so. When it finally did restart, it was very heavy and I wasn't able to leave the house. I went through about 60 tampons in about 24 hours (sorry, OVERSHARING, I know). After an emergency trip to the doc on a SAT. afternoon (why don't things ever happen during the regular workday?!), they brought out what I refer to as their "magic pill" to try to stop it. He said that if they couldn't get it under control in a few hours, they would have to do a DNC. Well, 1 pill, and 30 minutes later, it was GONE. I asked my doctor where this magic pill had been for the last 20 years during every ruined vacation, and ill-timed cycle. He thought it was pretty funny. Anyways, it is called Megace. And yes, they gave me fifty of them which I keep in a secret safe for future needs :-). I had two of these cycles, the second not quite as bad as the first, and then no period again for another 7 mos. My visitor came by again last week. Yipee!!!

My doc explained to me that during chemo, your cycle does get messed up, and that everyone is different. Some people stop ovulating all together, and some still ovulate, but have no period. So when the period finally restarts, you may have a few months worth to deal with.

I hope that this gets better for you with time, and if needed ask your doctor about the Megace. It does have progesterone in it, so it is not something you would want to take regularly, especially if you are hormone +, but one or two of them to stop or slow things down will not hurt you. It is a very low dosage of progesterone.

Love, Kelly

mindersue
12-29-2007, 06:19 PM
Just an observation...the drug Megace keeps popping up! So far I've seen it's good for hot flashes (that's what I use it for), appetite stimulant, and now period stopping.

Even though I'm PR +, my onc says it's perfectly fine for me to take (very low dose). Does that makes sense to the experts on this board? : ) I went off of it for 3 months and the hot flashes came back. I've started taking it again --those hot flashes are just so annoying.

Take care,
Mindy

Faith in Him
12-29-2007, 06:53 PM
Thanks, girls. I knew you would have answers. I feel better now.

Kelly, I think I got that magic pill. I have taken it for two days now and everything is back to normal. Thank God for magic pills.

Tonya