PDA

View Full Version : Looks like I am joining another club , here

charlotte
12-27-2007, 04:34 PM
Well, The Dr. told me today, that the red areas on my chest was definitely breast cancer...The biopsys came back positive.. He is working on a treatment plan, with radiation therapy to start , probably next week... I would appreciate any information as to what to expect in regards to this treatment...I spent this afternoon getting marked for radiation....along with a cat scan of my chest.
I am a bit overwhelmed by this information... I kept hoping it was just a rash... Nope, not in the cards for me.
I will just have to deal with it as it comes down the pike...

Chelee
12-27-2007, 05:00 PM
Charlotte, I don't have any information to help you with this...but I can only imagine the how stressful this must be on you. Its only to be expected that you would be feeling overwhelmed and then some. I am so sorry you have to deal with this.

I know there are a few women here that can answer some of your questions for you. So hang in there...they will come along. I'm glad your onc is already setting up a trt plan. I will be keeping you in my thoughts and prayers.

Chelee

PinkGirl
12-27-2007, 05:05 PM
Charlotte,
I'm sorry you got this news today. I hope you can
find a way to absorb this new information and come
out fighting strong. I wish you all the best. Good luck.

Bill
12-27-2007, 06:10 PM
Hi Charlotte, I'm so sorry to hear about your biopsy report. You will be in my thoughts and prayers. My wife was dx'ed with dcis in 2004 and had to undergo 18 rad. treatments, I think it was. I'm not sure of the particulars in your case, but with her, she developed some slight fatigue about two-thirds of the way through. No nausea, though for her with just the radiation. Her area of radiation darkened just a little and seemed a little bit like a sunburn. Her rad. onc. recommended applying a cream called "Jean's Cream" to the radiated area to help with this. Someone please correct me if I got the name wrong. The cream can be found at most pharmacies, but it's fairly expensive (50 bucks or so) and you may have to ask for it, but it seemd to work well. Honestly, my wife, Nicola, and I viewed those treatments as "not that bad". She was a stage 0 and the first treatment took 15 or so minutes and after that it was like 2 minutes or so, once they get the equipment centered in. I hope this helps you a little bit, Charlotte. Be strong and keep in touch. Love, Bill

Mary Anne in TX
12-27-2007, 06:27 PM
Hey Charlotte! If I remember correctly, you are about 18 - 24 months out from 1st diagnosis, right? Will you also have chemo along with the rads? Do you have confidence in your care? Know that this incredible crew will encourage and pray for you as you take one step at a time with this new battle. Please remind us of your journey so far with BC. There are so many who could share their journeys and choices. Love to you as you fight this new battle. mary anne

Lolly
12-27-2007, 09:24 PM
Charlotte, I'm so sorry to hear the news was what you feared. Just want you to know I'll be keeping you in my thoughts and prayers. Let us know how your first tx goes. Rads aren't too harsh, but you will feel tired. Ask any questions, we've all been there.

Here's a link to the FDA announcement:
http://www.fda.gov/bbs/topics/NEWS/2007/NEW01732.html

<3 Lolly

charlotte
12-28-2007, 08:01 AM
First thanks to all who responded...
Maryann, No, this is not my second go around with this beast.... It actually will be my third... I am approximately 18 months out from the second go round...
I asked the Dr. yesterday, are we beating a dead horse?? He responded, That radiation will control the local spread..and give me a better quality of life. I am going to call the Onc. Dr. next week and see what game plan , he has now...He did mention Chemo some where along the way... I had so many problems with chemo before....
Peeling of my hands and feet, neurapthy,etc.... was only able to take herception for a total of 4 times.. before my heart said no more... It dropped down to 25 % Ejection rate..I go in for a 2 d echo, on Jan 4,. so I really don't know what the Dr. can do for me..
Do I have confidence in the care?? In some ways I do.. I am just so sad, and disappointed at this turn of events...

Mary Anne in TX
12-28-2007, 08:14 AM
Oh rats, Charlotte! Third time! That makes me so mad, but also sad too. I just remember that so many times warriors on this board have gone for a 2nd opinion and gotten a good new thing to try and also so much hope from a new view and a new attitude. Can they do anything to protect your heart and give you herceptin at the same time? I'm praying and believing for some peace and answers for your New Year. I'm sending lots of love and caring your way today and into 2008. mary anne

Bill
12-28-2007, 06:30 PM
Hi Charlotte! I'm sorry to read your last post, but please try to hang in there. Like Mary Anne said, try to get a second opinion, and please know that we are all praying for you. Miracles do happen, they happen every day. Please keep us posted and we'll help any way we can. Stay strong, Bill

lexigirl
12-28-2007, 06:44 PM
Aw Charlotte, this does stink. I had a small rash at my diagnosis and sure enough it tested positive for bc. I had the chemo and rads and so far so good. The radiation txs get tiring after awhile going daily. But, I am hopeful that they have done their job in controlling the area on my chest from recurrence.

Please know that I am thinking of you. I also like the way that Bill thinks. Miracles happen every day. Why not you or me... or all of us!!

Hugs and Prayers,
Lexi