PDA

View Full Version : Period back...after 32 months

RhondaH
12-26-2007, 05:42 PM
I know, I know, dumb question, but just want to make sure as I was TOTALLY freaked out (not only that, but this summer threw away all my "extra" girl products and MERRY CHRISTMAS, my "friend" visited after chemo induced chemopause in 4/05...and of course no stores were open). Being that I was ER-/PR- am I not to be concerned about my period returning?

Rhonda

Yorkiegirl
12-26-2007, 06:31 PM
Oh No Rhonda. I keep wondering if mine will return. I surely hope not, since all of my blood work has clearly stated I am in full blown menopause.
But I guess we never know.

I don't have an answer for the ER/PR neg. question, but would be intrested in seeing the answers, I am ER/PR neg as well.

Sorry no stores were open.

theresaw
12-27-2007, 02:40 PM
I had my first period a couple of weeks ago after not having one for 1 1/2yr. I was bothered by it just because I thought I was done with that part of my life. I am now 43yrs old. I am er-pr- also, no nodes involved. My onc told me it could come back at anytime. I hope that helps a little
<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->__________________
Diagnosis bc june,2006.
3months of taxol and herceptin, nupregin shots weekly. Now herceptin only, her2 positive. stage III. Left breast, mastectomy with reconstrutive surgery.
Herceptin until 10/06. Due to low echogram numbers had to stop Herceptin indefinetly.
<!-- / sig -->

Chelee
12-27-2007, 04:48 PM
Rhonda, I am sure that did come as a MAJOR un-expected surprise after all that time.

But I am pretty darned sure er & pr negative's don't take AI's or tamoxifen. I'm sure someone can give you a much more informative reply then mine. :) But as far as I know...all you get out of this is your darned period back again to deal with. (Lucky you.) Not! See what happens when you throw things out that you *think* you will *never* need again. I know any time in my life that I FINALLY broke down and tossed something out that I know I will NEVER use again...I end up kicking myself because NOW I could of used it. (That always seems to happen.) I really believe er & pr negatives don't take estrogen blockers. Hang in there...

Chelee

Lauriesh
12-28-2007, 06:07 AM
Hi rhonda, It also took a long time for me to get my period back. Both my onc and gyno have said that because I am er/pr - , no worries related to cancer.
I was actually happy to get it back. It helped me to feel "normal" again, and sex is back to what it was before I was diagnosed.

the only bad thing is I realized I will have to go through menopause twice!

Laurie

Diagnosed 3/05 at age 37
stage 2b

mts
12-28-2007, 06:43 AM
Hi Rhonda-
I am only ER+ 10% and PR-
Even with my low ER+ status, it has never been sufficiently positive to get on Tamoxifen nor will it be sufficient for Arimidex. My onc believes a higher ER+ would warrant hormonals and AI's but with mine so low, the benefits are barely worth it.
I also know that many oncs state that the tamox and Arimidex can't hurt even if one is totally ER- PR-... but common sense just says that if you know it won't help then why take it ?
So, to answer your question, being ER-/PR- keeps you off any additional drugs...
My period came back 2 yrs after chemo and with a vengeance ! I was scared I had other abnormal issues going on and went to get a vaginal ultrasound, a endometrial biopsy (ouch) and nothing was wrong. I am back to having regular periods and I am fine with it. It tells me that my body has recovered ... and it seems, my dear, so has yours !

Maria

Ruth
12-28-2007, 12:47 PM
Rhonda ~ my period came back after 2 years (Pregnancy, nursing, diagnosis, then chemo pause and period again). My doctors had no concern (am ER/PR-) and have had my period now for almost 4 years with no problems. Even suggested I could go for #4 child if I wanted to. It is different that I have way more PMS but other than that same old stuff!
Hugs ~ Ruth