PDA

View Full Version : Herceptin 'challenge' Christmas Eve!??

hermiracles
12-21-2007, 07:30 AM
Hello friends ~ well after my last 'severe' reaction to my 1st dose of Herceptin - the Onc has decided to go ahead and challenge me again with the Herceptin - but this time with a lot slower dose and pre-med ++ = claratyne, decadron, phenergan, ranitadine!

I'm both happy and a bit scared about all of this - happy 'cause I do want to be able to have the Herceptin... but all those meds and the risk involved is a bit scary..... then I started reading the thread about the side-effects of Herceptin and I thought - o-oh don't know if this is such a good idea!! lol!

Oh well... here we go... say a few prayers for me if you wouldn't mind. Hope everyone has a safe and happy Christmas if you do celebrate.http://her2support.org/vbulletin/images/icons/icon7.gif
Blessings all
Hermiracles

tousled1
12-21-2007, 07:44 AM
Prayers are coming your way. Hopefully with a slower infusion and some premeds you'll do fine.

mimiflower07
12-21-2007, 07:44 AM
i can relate to your apprehension...i will be starting herceptin for the first time soon. I'm nervous as well. But we do really need this drug. Just to let you know i will thinking about you. Hang in there sounds like pre meds got you covred. Slower,lower may be answer.
good luck, let us know
suzanne

dhealey
12-21-2007, 12:09 PM
Hermiracles, Prayers coming your way for a successful infusion of herceptin on your next go round. What a Christmas present! Best of luck to you and mimiflower. Slower is better. I have one more treatment of herceptin to go, so I know you can do this, both of you!

hermiracles
12-21-2007, 01:12 PM
Thanks Kate, Suzanne and Debbie - for the encouragement and support. If you girls can hang in there - I can too eh?
Will let yous know how I go.
Thank God for this group!
Blessings
Hermiracles

Mary Anne in TX
12-21-2007, 02:34 PM
I'm praying for you and believing that it will be smooth sailing for you at this upcoming herceptin infusion. May God send his angels to abide with you as you take this 2nd dose. And have a blessed and merry Christmas with those adorable little ones.

PinkGirl
12-21-2007, 02:38 PM
Hi Hermiracles
I'm going to check with Andi about how she
gets her herceptin. I remember she posted
once about having it mixed differently. I'll
find out, maybe it's something you can ask
about.

Good luck with the treatment. Sounds like the
pre-meds and slower infusion is a good thing to
try.

You know you can always post more pictures of those
babies - we all love seeing them.

Andrea Barnett Budin
12-21-2007, 03:05 PM
Pink has sent me in to help. Glad if my experience can be of benefit.

I began Herceptin in Nov '98!! -- wkly, as it was hot out of clinical trials and fast-tracked by the FDA for us *needy* ones. 4th stage metastatic -- Vit H has saved my life. I stayed w/the wkly dosage given over 30 min... And then...

In 2000 my onc told me studies had been done in France and I could switch to the ev 3 wk plan. I was leary. Tempting though it was not to go ev single wk! Why fix what isn't broken?, and will those who do new regimen survive?? I told my marvelous onc MJ, Let's have this discussion in a yr. A yr later, I was assured that follow up studies showed no change in efficacy of H given the *new* way.

I began w/a loading dosage of 4X single dosage over 2 hrs. Gradually, infusion time was reduced. 1 1/2 hrs. 1 hr. Then, 30 min. I am fine w/this, as is my body. It is a party, ev 3 wks and in and out in an hr overall, when I don't have an onc visit that is.

WE ARE EACH DIFFERENT. OUR BODIES REACT DIFFERENTLY TO THE SAME DRUGS. I AM PRAYING YOUR BODY, HERMI (IF I MAY CALL YOU THAT FOR SHORT) WILL CATCH ON AND ADJUST, ESPECIALLY W/PREMEDS AND A SLOWER INFUSION FOR YOU.

I think it is important to mention -- I have my Herceptin in a 500 cc saline solution, vs the standard protocol of 250 cc (sometimes in benzol alcohol or whatever). This *pure* form -- and double saline
-- helps lessen side effects, I have learned!

I felt woozy and wobbly the one time a new pharmacist gave me a 250 cc bag. I questioned it right off but was assured it was according to standard protocol. However I found out -- my body said, Whoa... I like the other way better. So listen to your body, dear Hermi!

Hope this is helpful. And that antihistamines and whatever they give you will be better for you. Come to think of it, when I began H in Nov '98 I had been on Taxotere for 2 mnths and continued w/the two till the end of May '99. At that time (my beginning w/H) I was on Dexymethazone the day before and the day of, for the Taxotere. That is a steroid, and may have helped have less side effects with the H in addition to the Taxotere. Something to think, and/or ask about...

I don't know your protocol, you may already be given that. Will be thinking of you and praying for a great response.

Andi http://cdn-cf.aol.com/se/smi/0201e05fca/06

hermiracles
12-21-2007, 11:21 PM
Thanks Maryanne, Pinkgirl and Andi http://her2support.org/vbulletin/images/icons/icon7.gif

Thats interesting what you say Andi about the Herceptin being given in 'benzol alcohol'?? I think of myself as a (sober) alcoholic (haven't had a drink in 19 years) so I' much rather have it in saline than alcohol! I will ask them on Monday when I go for my (slow!) infusion.

Thanks ladies ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥
Blessings
Hermi http://her2support.org/vbulletin/images/icons/icon12.gif
PS Andi ~ love your new photo!

tousled1
12-22-2007, 07:47 AM
I want to clarify the reconstitution of Herceptin since I have mine reconstituted with sterile water. Because of this I must have my Herceptin every 3 weeks since they would have to discard the unused portion since they receivce the Herceptin powder in a 3 weeks dose. If you can get your insurance company to pay for the reconstitution with sterile water on a weely basis more power to you -- my insurance company wouldn't authorize it as it meant money going down the drain. I also recevie my Herceptin with a bag of saline water on the side.

This infomration is directly from the Boxed warning:

The doctor's office recives the Herceptin in powder form. Each vial of Herceptin should be reconstituted with 20 mL of BWFI, USP, 1.1% benzyl alcohol preserved, as supplied, to yield a multi‑dose solution containing 21 mg/mL Trastuzumab. The reconstituted preparation results in a colorless to pale yellow transparent solution. Parenteral drug products should be inspected visually for particulates and discoloration prior to administration. Reconstituted Herceptin must be discarded after 28 days.

Use of diluents other than BWFI should be avoided unless contraindicated. For patients with known hypersensitivity to benzyl alcohol, Herceptin must be reconstituted with Sterile Water for Injection; discard any unused portion

I hope this information helps.

lilyecuadorian
12-22-2007, 08:38 AM
Dear Hermi my best wishes for your next infucion with herceptin ...I will have you in my prayers ...

GemmaG
12-22-2007, 01:00 PM
Dear Hermi,
Prayers are coming your way. I was on Herceptin in 2006 every three weeks for a year. I'm back on a weekly infusion now and also Navelbine 2 weeks on and one week off. With Herceptin, so far no problems (knock on wood) only runny nose and light headache. And I think Herceptin made my hair grow slower???
Andi, love your new pix! you look great.

Hugs,
Gemma

Andrea Barnett Budin
12-22-2007, 02:10 PM
HI HERMI,

Kate reminded me!

I get saline infusion before H and saline after to flush port, then 2 push salines and 1 heploc -- in addition to the 500 cc saline bag w/H, which looks like water to me...

Glad you like the new me... Thanks for noticing. That's me and my Rock. My honey, Paul.

Andi http://cdn-cf.aol.com/se/smi/0201e05fca/06

hermiracles
12-22-2007, 03:57 PM
Well you ladies are amazing!.. thanks so much for your information and support.

Do they really give this H. in alcohol? I have spoken to the medical registrar at the hospital and will ring Cancer Care Unit 1st thing in the morning - hopefully before they make up the infusion - so I can have it in saline or sterile water.

Thank you all so much - I really appreciate it.
Blessings
Hermi http://her2support.org/vbulletin/images/icons/icon7.gif lol!

tousled1
12-23-2007, 08:16 AM
Hermi,

If you can print the info from my post as I got it from the Herceptin boxed warning. I had to take it to my oncologist's office and point it out. I had major problems with Herceptin when it was reconstitued with the benzyol alcohol. Let us know how it goes.

hermiracles
12-23-2007, 02:21 PM
Oh thanks so much Kate - I just got onto the Cancer Care Unit - they are not there on the weekends - and the nurse told me they mix the Herceptin with saline not alcohol! They were very nice.

Thanks so much for your help Kate it makes a difference.

Off to have me Herceptin.
Blessings
Hermi

tousled1
12-23-2007, 04:28 PM
Hermi,

I don't want to sound like a pessimist but you should check with the tech that actually mixes the Herceptin. The chemo nurses all think that Herceptin is mixed with Saline but it is not -- as the boxed label shows. You do get saline with the Herceptin but it is not routinely mixed with sterile water. I would double check but with the actual person who does the mixing not the chemo nurse.

hermiracles
12-24-2007, 03:51 AM
But I had the exactly same thought as you Kate - of course the Herceptin is given in a saline IV bag but what about the actually mixing up of the Herceptin vial itself?? I did try and ask about this but couldn't really get a straight answer. I will certainly keep trying.

In any case the actual infusion of the Herceptin went very well - I didn't have any problems or reaction - but then I was loaded up with a heap of pre-med medications to prevent reaction. Apparently it is the same pre-med protocal they use for the Taxotere which is what I will be having in a few weeks on the same day of my next Herceptin infusion.

So - so far so good - I guess it was a bit like a nice little Xmas present to get thru the Herceptin infusion OK - big thanks to the folks in this group for helping me along the way.

And I got to go to my local women's meeting tonight so that was a great way to end the day.

Looking forward to a quite - sober - Xmas with our bubbas and feeling grateful to be alive today in the company as such wonderful people as yourselves.

Blessings all ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥
Hermi

runtolive
12-24-2007, 09:21 AM
her miracles... ask your doc about a phase 2 study trial of herceptin-dm1.. its working well in the united states.. once a week or every 3 weeks..

PinkGirl
12-24-2007, 09:31 AM
Hermiracles
Glad to hear that it went well. I had to re-read some
of your posts and check the dates and times.
These different hemispheres make it interesting!
I am really happy that all went well for you today/yesterday???
Merry Christmas!

Andrea Barnett Budin
12-24-2007, 11:25 AM
GREAT NEWS, HERMI! So very glad you got through it. The H will get easier from here on in... I did the Taxotere and -- it did the job of annihilating every tumor in my liver, so remember, you must sometimes take the harder road to get the most supreme of results... Hange tough!

Andi

MJo
12-27-2007, 08:34 AM
Yippeee. May the Herceptin kick the cancer's A-- for you. Happy New Year.

LOPSIDED
12-27-2007, 02:33 PM
I Am So Happy Everything Went Better This Time. You Said You Will Be Doing Taxotere Next, I Did 3 Months And It Is Very Tolerable. I Only Noticed With My Last 3 Treatments That My Eyes Were Tearing And Some Fatigue. I Wish The Best For You And Your Family.