PDA

View Full Version : Hi Everyone...

theresaw
12-19-2007, 01:36 PM
I don't know exactly how to word this, but I was wondering if you have b/c how likely is that you can get ovarion cancer. Especially if your b/c is not hormonal? Anyone????
Just carious..Thanks

tricia keegan
12-19-2007, 02:14 PM
Hi,I'm not sure about this but do remember my onc saying bc and ovarian cancer are very closely linked, I was discussing having an oophorectomy and as I'm highly triple pos he may just have meant because of the high hormones etc but did'nt question him further.
Sorry I can't help more.

PinkGirl
12-19-2007, 06:43 PM
just bumping this up for you Theresa

Becky
12-19-2007, 09:16 PM
The 2 cancers are linked but the link is more familial (BRCA1 or 2 especially). The chance of ovarian cancer is rare regardless. However, it might be on your mind more if a family member had it. For example, my paternal grandmother died of ovarian cancer so it was definitely on my mind and was considered when I had my oophorectomy.

Hormonal status of bc might not play as much a part in ovarian cancer. Ovarian though does depend on how many lifetime menstrual cycles a woman has (much the same as hormone positive bc). With ovarian, it is the amount of times a woman has ovulated so starting to menstruate late, early menopause, many pregnancies (and nursing the babies so you don't menstruate), taking the birth control pill (of which you don't menstruate) all help. That is because the ovary must heal the wound that occurs when ovulation occurs and that wound healing (and rebuilding) can make cellular mistakes which cancer can occur. The less ovulations, the less chance for an error to occur. For ER+ bc, the more ovulations, the more high peak estrogen episodes the breasts are exposed to.

If you have any other questions, ask.

theresaw
12-20-2007, 11:53 AM
Ok, so if I started my period when I was 11 and never missed except when preg w/my children and going thru chemo, I probably don't have to be to concerned with getting ovarian cancer. Is that what you are saying..

Andrea Barnett Budin
12-21-2007, 08:40 PM
Just to let you know,THERESA -- I COVER ALL BASES. I go ev 6 mnths for a transvaginal pelvic sonogram to hear that my ovaries are beautiful. Even at my age, they can still be visualized by a good, probing Radiologist. I have to go to NY for this test as in Fla techs perform the procedure and aren't as aggessive. They claim they can't see my ovaries. You have to dig, unfortunately. A Gyn signs off on the readings here.

This leaves me feeling I have not had a thorough exam. I have no symptoms of ovarian (ie extremely bloated belly that requires draining of fluid in the hosp) but I derive comfort from this assurance. I do have sharp pain in my lower right abdomen often. So I have reason to check, for the insur co. It could be scar tissue from my tram flap reconstruction sugery.

IF I had typical symptoms of ovarian, I would insist upon a CA125 (which is abld test/tumor marker), which I know has many false positives, but that would be something I would want w/symptoms and/or something suspicious in my sono. The normal range is 0 - 35. If you are in the 100s, you have a problem. This test may not be covered by insur, yet is akin to men's PSA for prostate ca, which is covered. $75 at a GPs office, $125 at a GYNs office. Many feel it should be required as an annual mammog, an annual PAP and HPV for all women. Some well-knowns are lobbying for this for us as I type...

So, this is my method of *dealing* w/that thought you are having, which I can reate to. In my head, a hormonally driven bc is akin to a hormonally driven ovarian ca. I was ER/PR borderline to begin w/ in '95. I am now ER/PR-. I find this regular preventative procedure comforting. There is no greater compliment than -- Your ovaries look beautiful! Just IMHO...

Even if you had your ovaries removed -- you can have ovarian ca! This is astonishing but true. IBS (Irritable Bowel Syndrome can be dx when in fact it is far more serious.) I have IBS, so I exhibit typical *symptoms* of ovarian regularly. I believe in TAKING CHARGE of my health care. Knowledge arms us and empowers us. I am very proactive, as a 4th stager I must be. I do not believe I am over-reacting, but want to stay on top of all possiblities.

Be well, my friends...
Andi

LOPSIDED
12-21-2007, 09:34 PM
After My Breast Cancer, I Had Mets To My Ovaries. My Symptoms Were Swelling Of The Abdomen, And Feeling Full Even If I Just Ate A Small Amount. To Begin With, I Just Thought I Was Gaining Weight. My Tumors Were Very Large By The Time I Realized I Was In Trouble.

Cathya
12-23-2007, 10:51 AM
I have a friend who had lobular breast cancer. She told me that this type of cancer has an increased risk of ovarian cancer associated with it. Another friend who had inflamatory bc also had her ovaries removed. Her cancer was genetic (her father also had bc) so I am not sure if it was the inflamatory bc or the genetic feature which was the driver. I was post menapausal and my onc said that I was low risk.

Cathy

Andrea Barnett Budin
12-23-2007, 12:30 PM
Yes, Cathy. I am most unusual my onc tells me. LOBULAR. ER/PR- HER2+. 4TH STAGE W/2 NODES OUT OF 21. ALL HIGHLY AGGRESSIVE. HENCE MY PROTOCOL.

HERCEPTIN FOREVER... + EV 6 MNTH TRANSVAGINAL PELV SONO, EV 6 MNTH CT SCANS (I BEGAN AT EV 8 WKS FOR OVER A YR, THEN EV 3 MNTHS, THEN EV 4 MNTHS, SO I KEEP GRADUATING.) I HAVE HAD 2 BRAIN MRIs, SO I HAVE A BASE LINE FOR POSSIBLE NEED OF SUCH A THING (GOD FORBID A HUNDRED MILLION XXXs). CHEST/ABDOMEN/PELVIS. (TRANSVAGINAL SONO SHOWS PLACES NOT SEEN IN CT.) I'M VERY BUSY STAYING ALIVE.

I BALANCE IT ALL AS BEST I CAN W/MEDITATION, GUIDED IMAGERY, SCRIPTING MY INNER DIAGLOGUE, DEALING W/ISSUES AT THE MOMENT OF THEIR ARISING AND THEN PURGING MYSELF OF THEM. ALL DAUNTING CHALLENGES. BUT I DO MANAGE TO LIVE JOYFULLY, IN HARMONY, CONNECTED TO MY SPIRIT AND THUS MY SOURCE AND EVER GRATEFUL...

WISHING YOU ALL A DAILY JIG WITH NED. I TRY TO LIVE WITH AN OPEN HEART AND AN LISTENING EAR...

Andi