PDA

View Full Version : Hello Again

wennydog
12-18-2007, 09:54 PM
I want to apologize for not getting back to those of you who tried to contact me and offer support. Pat was in the hospital again for a while but has been home now for a couple of months. I have finally stopped working to take care of her full time now. The latest chemo she tried was Ixempra but she is so weak and miserable that 3 weeks ago she finally told the doctor no more. None of the medicines can offer her any remission. She just suffers side effects and the cancer is kept at bay until the next dose. I am still able to get her to the doctor and she takes herceptin. It is so hard to give her up but I understand, we have been at this constantly for a year now.She is bedridden and on a dilaudid pump with a paralyzed arm and vocal cord. She is conscious and alert but very weak however we still manage to enjoy ice cream and chocolate each night. The doctor says she has about a month or so. Thank you to everyone for all your support an prayers. She is much more ok with all of this than I am. I think of this group almost everyday and wish all of you a wonderful holiday and long long remissions. Sincerely, Donna In Birmingham

Pat Bailey 55 yo
2001 DX DCIS, mastectomy & reconn
2003 dx mets to lungs, double thoracotomy for bx, herceptin, navelbene,carbpl,
2005chest wall reoccurrance, rads, repeat herceptin, navelbene,carbopl
2006more mets to chest wall, axillary and rt neck lymph system, Taxotere, herceptin
x 2 treatments, inflammtion to lungs,pneumonia, stop taxotere , rads
2007disease progression to small intestine, rt. axilla, lungs,epirub,5FU,cytoxan x 2 tx
disease halted but counts so low and so weak that chemo stopped.
July2007 disease progression, given 3 weeks to live. Began herceptin, doxorubicin
2 weeks later ready to leave hopitaland ambulatory with assistance. 1 week at home then
signs of lymphedema and epidermal skin rash returning. #2 dose of doxil given with no response.
Gemzar started while back in hospital with slow positive response. Back home but terrible weakness and stomatitis.
Stop doxil. Start Gemzar, tykerb and herceptin on 8/21/07
9/12/07 Diarrhea too devestating, Tykerb stopped. Gemzar every week still keeping cancer signs away.
11/07 Pat falls at home after trying to get up by herself. Hospital, home after a week and a half. Gemzar side effects- weakness too much.
11/07 One dose of Ixempra. Pat was very sick and weak with no quality time between doses. 12/10/07 Decision to stop all chemo. Continue Herceptin
Doctor says 1-2 months.<!-- / message --><!-- / message --><!-- / message -->

BonnieR
12-18-2007, 10:02 PM
I don't know what to say. Except it made me smile that you are enjoying ice cream and chocolate every night. God bless the little gifts.

Lolly
12-18-2007, 10:43 PM
Donna, I will keep you both in my prayers. I too have a little ice cream with chocolate sauce almost every night and will give a little toast to you two with my daily dose of goodie.

<3 Lolly

lexigirl
12-18-2007, 11:21 PM
Donna,

Thinking of you and Pat tonight. I will keep you both in prayers.

Hugs,
Lexi

Mary Anne in TX
12-19-2007, 04:12 AM
Donna, I'll join you and Pat with a chocolate & ice cream toast to Pat's battle and life tonight! God bless you for the sacrifices and love you are giving! I'm praying for many smiles and joys in the weeks to come. May God bless you both richly. ma

MJo
12-19-2007, 09:33 AM
If I had someone who loved and cared for me as much as you do for Pat, I would count myself blessed. Chocolate, ice cream and a devoted partner. Wonderful.

mts
12-19-2007, 09:46 AM
Donna,

Sending you warm chocolaty thoughts and ice cream dreams ... I think the caregiving side of cancer is as much a part of the treatment. You are an angel to be so dedicated.

Maria

tousled1
12-19-2007, 11:38 AM
Donna,

Pat is so fortunate to have a partner like you. I can't imagine how hard this must be on you. Pat sounds like a very stong and courageous woman. Please know that you are both in my prayers.

Believe51
12-19-2007, 12:16 PM
Do not be sorry for not getting back to us since we all know how full your plate is. It was comforting to hear that your bowl is full (ice cream-yum) and that you both are still enjoying sharing your nightly treats together. I have never looked at ice cream the same way since you mentioned that in one of the last posts. I am besides myself and really do not know what to say except you are a wonderous being and caregiver. I am so sorry that you must go through this with someone you love and admire so much, wish I could absorb some of the pain. I send continued prayers for you both and special ones for Pat to be as comfortable as possible. Thanks for sharing because I know it is hard. I too want to eat an ice cream tribute for you both tonight so count me in!! Big hugs, lots of prayers and of couse, Love>>Believe51

Andrea Barnett Budin
12-19-2007, 07:57 PM
Dearest Donna,

What a remarkable person you are. Your love and devotion are the greatest gifts you can give Pat at this time. I am glad that you say she is at peace w/all that is occurring. Obviously, she is a very special Soul. Watching someone we love in such a position is the most painful thing of all. My heart goes out to you both. Please hold on for Pat. Let her see your smile. I know she feels your deep love in everything you do. God should give us all such an angel. You are blessed to have had each other to share so much that is good and for you to be there for her in her darkest hour. Enjoy each precious moment. I promise to pray for you and Pat. May you each find the strength to move through this time with the beauty of grace. I am sending loving energy, healing energy and many prayers directly to you from my Soul...
Andi

wennydog
12-20-2007, 04:44 PM
Thank you all so much for your prayers and encouragement. I read Pat all of your posts and she smile with gratitude shining in her eyes. Have a wonderful holiday.
Donna In Birmingham