PDA

View Full Version : Joe, Christine or Lani....

Believe51
12-17-2007, 02:29 PM
I know you are all very busy but I wanted to know if you could gather ANY information an Male Inflammatory Breast Cancer. Anything would help, there is no relavent information on it anywhere (I know it is rarer that rare!)>>Believe51

Lani
12-17-2007, 02:56 PM
there were at least two or three posters on male breast cancer--I will go back and check if any were IBC. Please remind me by brining this post up by tomorrow if I don't get back right away.

Lots of information to process and pass on and way behind on stuff I left behind!

Not to worry, I will check it for you.

Lani
12-17-2007, 02:57 PM
just remember to nag me!

Lani
12-17-2007, 04:30 PM
Treatment: Male Breast Cancer
5048 Male breast cancer (MBC): impact of early diagnosis and adjuvant treatments. Analysis of 983 cases.
Cutuli B, Cohen-Solal-Le-Nir C, Serin D, Kirova Y, Belkacemi Y, Gaci Z, Lemanski C, De Lafontan B, Zoubir M, Maingon P, Mignotte H, Tunon de Lara C, Edeline J, Penault-Llorca F, Romestaing P, Delva C. Polyclinique de Courlancy, Reims, France; Sylia-Stat, Bourg La Reine, France.
5049 Survivin and COX-2 expression in male breast cancer.
Younis T, Dakin-Hache KA, Rayson D, Dewar R, Gray S, Barnes PJ. Queen Elizabeth II Health Sciences Centre, Halifax, NS, Canada; Cancer Care Nova Scotia, Halifax, NS, Canada; Dalhousie Medical School, Halifax, NS, Canada.
5050 Patterns of body size in male breast cancer and impact of obesity on disease outcome.
Kulkarni S, Franssen E, Madarnas Y. Queen's University, Kingston, ON, Canada.
5051 Expression of basal-like markers in male breast cancers.
Flanagan MB, Bhargava R, Dabbs DJ, Thull D, Chivukula M. Magee-Womens Hospital, Pittsburgh, PA.

will try to bring you highlights later.

Obviously the last one doesn't apply as it is triple negative.

More later...

Lani
12-17-2007, 04:34 PM
http://www.abstracts2view.com/sabcs/view.php?nu=SABCS07L_186
http://www.abstracts2view.com/sabcs/view.php?nu=SABCS07L_666
http://www.abstracts2view.com/sabcs/view.php?nu=SABCS07L_222

[5051] Expression of basal-like markers in male breast cancers:
http://www.abstracts2view.com/sabcs/view.php?nu=SABCS07L_44

Believe51
12-18-2007, 06:37 AM
I started reading articles yesterday and I was so excited about the amount of information that was at my fingertips; hours went by. I cannot even imagine how busy you are because I still have hours to go just to catch up with the reading!! Thanks for everything you do for this site, the amount of information I recieve from here is priceless. Your devotion and research has helped me to understand breast cancer in a different realm (even though at times I say "Whattt??") LOL!! Have fun and go get 'em! Love>>Believe51

Lani
12-18-2007, 04:57 PM
has your husband been BRCA1/2 tested? There has been a lot written lately on male breast cancer, if I recall correctly, as well as male prostate cancer in BRCA1/2 carriers.

Believe51
12-19-2007, 02:19 PM
He was tested and at the moment we are going to speak to the doctor about retesting him to see if the cancer mutated at all. Any special testing or demands I should be making??

I do see that there is alot of new information about male bc and Ed is being observed very closely with his Oncologist and Dana Farber to help other men. One thing I cannot understand is why the medical industry and the public (I can understand) surpresses or belittles the male bc patient into believing that embarrassment is of concern (maybe just a tad but NOT the reason). I know that you do not have the answer and I am thankful for your replies Lani. Also thankful that the medical professionals are atleast finally acknowledging male bc. Their excuse is: it is rare...so what...we do not need to learn or talk about it??? I understand if a man would have to go to a support group with 20 women it may get a bit uncomfortable but come on guys, let's get real and if you are going to place blame, place it where it belongs!!!! When someone says you have cancer...I DO NOT BELIEVE ONES EMBARRASSMENT WOULD INTERFERE WITH WANTING TO GET TREATMENT OR EVEN TALK ABOUT IT you will take action! Again, let us be real (not you lani).

I am thankful they are getting some publicity finally and it is not just because hubby is ill. The main reason for the lack of attention has contributed to the misdiagnosis and unawareness of male bc!!!!!!!

My message for the uneducated medical professionals: Become aware and spread awareness so that they can get recognized, so they can have the same treatment options a woman does, so that they are aware themselves, so they are not prejusticed against. It is only with the recognition of these professionals that things can get done medically. So stop misdiagnosing and placing blame and start speading awareness. And that goes trifold for the American Cancer Society!! Knowledge is power!! It makes me sick to see the lack of awareness, the ignorance of some medical professions and then TO BLAME THE MAN FOR BEING TOO EMBARRASSED>Try taking some blame yourself!! Give ME a break! Especially because of ALL the men I have ever spoken to with male breast cancer NEVER even said the word embarrassed!!

To the doctors there in San Antonio & Dana Farber Cancer Institute, my greatest thanks for helping us to spread the awareness. It is too late for my husband but it is not too late for you or your sons or your fathers!! From the bottom of my heart I am grateful for the wonderful research you are providing for the public. The numbers for male bc have been rising and that is due to that awareness and by getting properly diagnosed. That is all we want, then it is up to the person to act upon it, to run with the information.

Sorry for rambling Lani but I do feel better Love. Praying for you too Sweetie!! Lots of Love>>Believe51

Joe
12-19-2007, 03:14 PM
Here is a good website for Ed. We met them at San Antonio:

http://www.johnwnickfoundation.org/index.html

Regards
Joe

Lani
12-19-2007, 05:18 PM
I spent yesterday scouring for articles on male inflammatory breast cancer and even found some. Others just included it in "other pathology" Have assembled them for a Christmas gift for you and your husband.

How do I do such things?

Google" Entrez pubmed "and then enter "male breast cancer inflammatory" or just" male breast cancer" and read through the abstracts. I have the ability to get many original articles, not just abstracts, so I looked at the details and someone had done a review article where they listed how many English language articles had mentioned male inflammatory breast cancer.

Since I am very busy (aren't we all) and you are still mulling over what I have already sent you, I hope to be able to send your Christmas present so that it arrives (via the net) on time. As I will be travelling and email access is not always assured it may be a bit late but be assured It is on my to do list (I have to edit and cut and paste some things) and even if you have to post a reminder for me, I will do it!

Believe51
12-20-2007, 06:32 AM
Joe, I have personally spoke with Nancy Nick and all I can say is she is an incredible woman and the site has grown so much just in the 15 months I have been visiting. Thanks for the response and I am so happy that you were in San Antonio representing your wife, this incredible site and all whom are or will be diagnosed with breast cancer. I will make arrangements to go next year now that I have grown past 'Breast Cancer Basics 101', (LOL) and would understand more things now. The information is amazing and overwhelming, I love it. With wonderful people like you all on our side how can we go wrong??

Lani, my husband and I admire you and he sends his love. Not only do you supply us with tons of information but you have the ability to keep me quiet for hours on end!! LOL. Lani, you are a truely spectacular being whom I am thankfully blessed by having the chance in my life to even meet you!!

Bigs steps taken there in San Antonio for many. Thanks to everyone who made this possible. Special prayers have been being said for all. May 2008 bring us one step closer to a cure or something damn close. Forever Indebited>>Believe51

Lani
12-24-2007, 08:22 PM
(your husband may say that's great as this is no time for you to be quiet!)

In the meantime, a new one hot-off the press--

Pathobiology. 2007;74(6):323-7. Epub 2007 Dec 13. Links
Male and female breast cancer--differences in DNA ploidy, p21 and p53 expression reinforce the possibility of distinct pathways of oncogenesis.

André S, Pinto AE, Laranjeira C, Quaresma M, Soares J.
Serviço de Anatomia Patológica, Instituto Português de Oncologia de Lisboa Francisco Gentil, E.P.E., Lisboa, Portugal.
AIM: The purpose of this study was to compare the immunohistochemical profile of cell cycle inhibitors of G1/S phase transition (p21, p53 and pRb), Ki-67 proliferation marker and DNA ploidy in male (MBC) and female breast cancer (FBC). MATERIAL AND METHODS: One hundred patients (50 non-consecutive cases of FBC and an equal number of MBC) were selected according to homogeneous features regarding age, histological type, tumour grading, nodal status and absence of neoadjuvant therapy. The expression of p21, p53, pRb and Ki-67 was assessed by immunohistochemistry, and DNA ploidy was analysed by flow cytometry. Correlations between variables were evaluated using the chi(2) test. RESULTS: The incidence of DNA aneuploid, p21-positive and p53-negative tumours was significantly higher in MBC than in FBC; pRb and Ki-67 revealed no statistically significant differences between the two entities. In MBC, high tumour grade correlated with aneuploidy, Ki-67 and pRb positivity; ploidy and p53 were also associated. In FBC, only ploidy and grade showed a strong correlation. CONCLUSION: The significant dissimilarities regarding DNA ploidy, p21 and p53 in these quite homogeneous groups of FBC and MBC point to different genomic instability and to differences in cell cycle proliferative control, reinforcing the view of somewhat distinct tumour oncogenesis. (c) 2007 S. Karger AG, Basel.
PMID: 18087196 [PubMed - in process]

Lani
12-27-2007, 11:00 AM
in the meantime another hot off the press article:
Am J Pathol. 2007 Dec 21 [Epub ahead of print] Links
Prolactin Drives Estrogen Receptor-{alpha}-Dependent Ductal Expansion and Synergizes with Transforming Growth Factor-{alpha} to Induce Mammary Tumors in Males.

Arendt LM, Schuler LA.
From the Cellular and Molecular Biology Program, and Comparative Biosciences, School of Veterinary Medicine, University of Wisconsin–Madison, Madison, Wisconsin.
Male breast cancer is rare and has been the focus of limited research. Although the etiology is unclear, conditions increasing circulating prolactin (PRL), as well as estrogen, increase the risk of tumorigenesis. We modeled exposure to elevated PRL in transgenic mice, using the mammary-selective, estrogen-insensitive promoter neu-related lipocalin (NRL), to drive PRL expression. Male NRL-PRL mice did not develop mammary tumors. However, in cooperation with the well-characterized oncogene transforming growth factor-alpha (TGF-alpha), PRL induced mammary tumors in 100% of male bitransgenic mice. Similar to disease in human males, these tumors expressed variable levels of estrogen receptor-alpha (ER-alpha) and androgen receptors. However, carcinogenesis was not responsive to testicular steroids because castration did not alter latency to tumor development or tumor ER-alpha expression. Interestingly, both NRL-TGF-alpha/PRL and NRL-PRL males demonstrated increased ductal development, which occurred during puberty, similar to female mice. This outgrowth was diminished in NRL-PRL males treated with ICI 182,780, suggesting that PRL enhances ER-mediated growth. Treatment of MCF-7-derived cells with PRL increased phosphorylation of ER-alpha at residues implicated in unliganded ER-alpha activity. Together, these studies suggest that PRL expands the pool of cells susceptible to tumorigenesis, which is then facilitated by PRL and TGF-alpha cross talk. Activation of ER-alpha is one mechanism by which PRL may contribute to breast cancer and points to other therapeutic strategies for male patients.
PMID: 18156207 [PubMed - as supplied by publisher]