PDA

View Full Version : New Web Calculator for tx and survival includes Her2

Hopeful
12-17-2007, 12:54 PM
http://www.cancer-math.net

Hopeful

hutchibk
12-17-2007, 01:08 PM
I am fairly weirded out by this. If I may suggest, just be careful if you choose to play with it. With all the new developments and diagnostic tools in the pipeline, the prognosticator for HER2 in the posted link is probably based on fairly old information (and by old, maybe as recent as 6 months to a year ago can be considered old). Just my opinion.

tousled1
12-17-2007, 01:15 PM
I tried it - put in my info and got this message: " number of positive nodes entered exceeds the values against which the calculator has been validated," So it is very limited in its value assessment.

Hopeful
12-17-2007, 03:02 PM
This tool was presented at SABCS over the weekend. Here is a link to the abstract: http://www.abstracts2view.com/sabcs/view.php?nu=SABCS07L_838

"Values for the reduction in cancer death achieved by adjuvant therapy are taken from the meta-analyses, and are the same as those used by AdjuvantOnline."

Hopeful

RhondaH
12-17-2007, 03:40 PM
this ASKS for millimeters, not centimeters and makes a BIG difference (1.6 cm is equal to 16 millimeters).

Rhonda

KellyA
12-17-2007, 04:15 PM
There were so many things that I could not "plug in" when using this chart- first of all, my treatment wasn't listed- 4 DD AC and 12 weekly Taxol. And I might be a little slow (a very real possibility :-) but I don't see where Herceptin was figured in. My onc gave me better odds. I think I like those better. :-)

Love, Kelly

Mary Anne in TX
12-17-2007, 04:23 PM
well, rats! Rats! It told me I'd live forever!
Now, come on Rhonda, it couldn't matter that much! Could it????

Ok, I'll refigure! But I think I've already bought the "forever" routine!

Seriously, I would think this would scare newbies out of their socks!
There are so many variables! But I will admit that I searched for just this information. I'm so glad I found you guys instead! Sooooo glad! ma

penelope
12-17-2007, 05:41 PM
Adjuvant gave me a worse prognosis.

Although, I am somewhat confused. On one graph it gave me 9% mortatlity at 15 yrs. and another graph said 13% mortality at 15 yrs.

Not sure which one was correct but adjuvant gave me 25%+ at 15 years.

caya
12-17-2007, 08:46 PM
I'm with Kelly - My onc. gave me better odds and I too like those better.
I'm also with Brenda - even 6 month/1 year info. is outdated for us - heck, they don't even list Herceptin under the treatment options...

all the best
caya

AlaskaAngel
12-17-2007, 10:57 PM
Thanks for sharing this calculator, which is the first I've seen that allows entry of HER2 status to at least give an indication of what difference that makes with hormonal treatments and/or chemotherapy. Although it doesn't yet allow one to enter info about Herceptin, it does finally provide some estimate for those who chose hormonal therapy or removal of ovaries without chemotherapy.

Therapy seems to be moving away from the blanket treatment with chemo since so few actually benefit from it, especially now that more are diagnosed as early stage. As a ER+ PR+ HER2 positive Stage I diagnosed in 2002 who went through chemotherapy and rads, this info wasn't available back then to allow me to consider the various genuine options for me, but I'm so happy that others will have access to that kind of information.

AlaskaAngel

hutchibk
12-18-2007, 10:07 AM
I'd like to just add that there was so much info added in San Antonio that they are discovering about the relationship between ER and PR status and the various HERs (1,2,3,4) and the complicated network and pathways, that I wonder if the script it uses for prognostics is still valid. Just a thought.