PDA

View Full Version : new option on the way--oral vinorelbine

Lani
12-17-2007, 10:04 AM
ABSTRACT: Optimizing clinical care of patients with metastatic breast cancer: a new oral vinorelbine plus trastuzumab combination
[Annals of Oncology]
Background: Trastuzumab (T) combined with i.v. vinorelbine (i.v.VNR) is an active regimen for patients with advanced breast cancer (ABC). In order to further improve quality of life of patients undergoing treatment for ABC, a new regimen using oral vinorelbine (oVNR) (d1 + d3) plus q3wks T was tested (ToVNR).
Patients and methods: Thirty-nine patients with ABC, human epidermal growth factor receptor 2/neu 3+ or FISH positive received 288 treatment cycles with T 6 mg/kg (loading dose, 8 mg/kg) on d1 and oVNR 55 mg/m2 on d1 + d3, q3wks until disease progression or unacceptable toxicity.
Results: Thirty-seven patients and 286 treatment cycles were evaluated (two patients were lost to follow-up). Treatment was very well tolerated. Two patients had complete response (CR), 14 partial response (PR), 17 stable disease (SD) and four disease progression (PD) (overall response rate: 43%). Clinical benefit rate (CR + PR + SD >24 months) was 73%. Median time to progression was 8.9 months (range 2-27) and median duration of response was 10.9 months (range 2-27).
Conclusions: The ToVNR combination is active and very well tolerated. It favorably compares with the combination of T and weekly i.v. administered VNR, allowing a more convenient once every three weeks hospital admission and leaving patients and care providers free from the unpleasant effect of i.v.VNR.