PDA

View Full Version : Toenails no longer grow? (Odd)

Chelee
12-14-2007, 01:48 PM
I know the topic of herceptin causing problems with fingernails & toenails have been discussed many times. But I don't think I've ever seen this issue come up regarding herceptin?

I finished my yr of herceptin in March of 07 & I can't help but notice my fingernails grow pretty much normal...but my toenails are at a stand still? They won't grow...they stay short & look awful. (They didn't before herceptin.) This isn't a complaint as its a *small* price to pay for herceptin...but I was curious if anyone else here has this same problem? Unless the taxotere I took is really to blame for this? Anyone else experience this? Just curious.

Chelee

RhondaH
12-14-2007, 03:20 PM
mine now grow thick and ugly.

Rhonda

StephN
12-14-2007, 06:52 PM
Hey girls,
I bet it is the Taxotere you took causing the toenails to grow strangely. I took that too, and when I was on this drug is when things got ugly. Lost a couple of toenails. I could see a stripe on my fingernails corresponding to each 3-week Taxotere treatment. 4 white stripes, which meant that most of the protein was killed off by that treatment. When that stripe got to the end of the nail bed it would just break off.

Been on Herceptin alone for years now and all but the left big toe are looking normal again.

Bev
12-14-2007, 08:52 PM
Toes are slower than fingers for me, but that may be normal. The toenails haven't annoyed me and at a year out of H, I think my fingernails are getting close to normal. They are no longer a soft splitting mess. Not long either though. BB

mke
12-14-2007, 09:22 PM
I blame it on taxol. Every toenail and fingernail fell off while I was on it and that was before I started herceptin. My toenails definately grow slower than they did and are pretty ratty looking (I do NOT wear sandals). My fingernails are brittle, split and chip, and are impossible to keep decent looking. It might be getting better, but it sure is a slow process.

sassy
12-14-2007, 09:28 PM
My fingernails are still very soft and I have to keep them as short as possible because they split and chip. My toenails are fine except both my big toes. Right one has grown out but is shaped oddly. Left one is only grown out about half way and I have to work with it to keep it from becoming ingrown on the sides. I've been off Herceptin for almost a year now.

Lolly
12-14-2007, 09:48 PM
My nails have always been thin and break easily, and Herceptin didn't change them for better or worse, BUT after being on Taxotere/Xeloda/Herceptin this fall my fingernails and toenails are discolored, lifting away from the nail beds, I've lost one toenail and fingernail and expect several more will eventually give up the ghost. I think it was the combo of Taxotere/Xeloda, as I had Taxol by itself years ago with no nail issues, and was recently on Xeloda/Herceptin for over a year with no problem.
Yes, small price to pay, but even so a bit depressing as you don't realize how handy your nails are for picking up small things and getting a grip on lids, etc.

michka
12-15-2007, 10:38 AM
I lost 7 toenails at the end of my Taxol/Herceptine rounds. When I was only on Herceptine, my nails started growing back. It has been almost a year and although all the other nails grew back, my big toenails are only half grown. Do not worry.
Michka