PDA

View Full Version : Some With Breast Cancer Can Skip Chemo

tousled1
12-13-2007, 05:10 PM
Thousands of breast cancer patients each year could be spared chemotherapy or get gentler versions of it without harming their odds of beating the disease, new research suggests.

Read full article:
http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5gnqBJfw6XlNjK4sBpZTAP8PBIJ0QD8TGQ25O1

Patty F
12-13-2007, 05:30 PM
Is it just me or did this posting not sound very promising? I am on A/C right now and then starting taxol. Doesn't sound like I should even be on taxol.

chicagoetc
12-13-2007, 07:22 PM
I don't think we can tell from the article. There are too many variables not specified. [Is this for ER/PR positive only? Only for those who test a certain way on the Oncotype DX? Does it apply to HER2+ or not? Etc.]

Catherine
12-13-2007, 10:52 PM
I too read this article. First I wondered why I had even had taxol.....then the more I read....I think this article was not detailed enough to be convincing. Not knowing much about the symposium, I decided to try and read what was coming out of the symposium. My first impression is that the news coverage is "topical." I have to say I would expect better explanations if they are talking to "us." Still trying to educate myself, but feeling a bit frustrated. Who do we believe?

Christine MH-UK
12-14-2007, 06:39 AM
The article said that a study had shown that taxol wasn't effective against the most common form of breast cancer. It should have said that this meant that taxol was not effective against her2-, er+, since that was what the study showed. The message of the study was that taxol seems to only work for er+ patients who are also her2+ positive. So, since you are probably her2+ if you are using this support group, you probably haven't received taxol unnecessarily.

Catherine
12-14-2007, 08:00 PM
Christine,

Thank you for the clarification. I do find it difficult to read and understand these studies. Thank you for putting it in words I can understand.

I think I am glad that I had taxol. I am er/pr- and her2+++

Thanks so much, Catherine

Bev
12-14-2007, 08:15 PM
http://www.cancerpage.com/news/article.asp?id=11641

A different article that says TC better than AC for ER+. Is this what they're getting at?

BB

Bev
12-14-2007, 08:38 PM
http://clinicaloptions.com/Oncology/Conference%20Coverage/Clin%20Onc%20June%202007/Tracks/Breast%

more on similar topic. It seems to me the google article has been diluted so much, it's not telling you anything. It also alludes to other studies found on cancerpage.org. My take, subsribe to CP et al. BB

tousled1
12-14-2007, 09:50 PM
To clarify -- Taxol has been proven to be extremely effective in women who are HER2+ and ER-. Adrymyician is effective for women who are HER2+ and also test postive for TOPOIIa.

Unfortunatley we can't get all the information we need in just one article. We have to sort of read them all and cut and paste to get the full picture. It's no easy task deciding what chemo should be given or what will be most effective since there are so many variables in breast cancer. Not only do you have to consider your hormone status and HER status but now they want to take into consider the TOPOII and many other elements. Perhaps one day each of us will have a customized chemo plan just made for us.