PDA

View Full Version : This really alarmed me

nitewind
12-10-2007, 02:04 PM
I was reading some information on the herceptin.com web site and came across two statements that took me by surprise. Maybe I've been trying not to think like this or maybe I just never thought about it at all, but now, it's really troubling me. I will quote the statements from Herceptin.com
"
With those treated with Herceptin in the clinical trials, most heart problems were seen during or shortly after the completion of Herceptin therapy:
Approximately half were known by the end of paclitaxel therapy
Approximately 90% were known by 1 year after completing paclitaxel
Am I reading this right? I was just assuming that after the herceptin treatment was finished that I wouldn't have to worry about heart problems anymore. Probably because I've seen where some have had heart problems and once the herceptin was stopped they returned to normal.
Oh dear.....something else to worry about.

Joanne S
12-10-2007, 04:27 PM
Your signature does not indicate when you finished Taxol treatments (actually you had Taxotere), but it indicates you just finished or are about to finish Herceptin 12/07. Many patient have a combination of Taxol with Herceptin. Perhaps you stopped having Taxotere several months ago, and I also assume you did not have heart problems during your one year of Herceptin infusions. If that's the case, I wouldn't be too concerned.

My interpretation is:
-Of all those with heart problems, 50% of heart problems were found by the end of Taxol Therapy,
-Of all those with heart problems, 40% of heart problems were found after the end of Taxol Therapy, but within one year after completing Taxol.

It's a little confusing with the title indicating "Herceptin therapy was stopped", and then the bullet indicates "shortly after completion of Herceptin"

What should I know if Herceptin is stopped due to heart problems?

In one study of patients receiving adjuvant therapy for breast cancer, 16% had to stop Herceptin because of a significant weakening of heart muscle or decreased heart function
In the 2 adjuvant clinical trials, among the 32 patients with significant heart problems:
One died of significantly weakened heart muscle
All others were on heart medication at their last checkup
Approximately half of the surviving patients had heart function that returned to normal while on ongoing heart medications
With those treated with Herceptin® in the clinical trials, most heart problems were seen during or shortly after the completion of Herceptin therapy:

Approximately half were known by the end of paclitaxel therapy
Approximately 90% were known by 1 year after completing paclitaxel
If Herceptin is stopped for a decrease in heart function, you should continue to be closely monitored for further decreases in heart function
For patients with Herceptin-related decrease in heart function, the safety of continuing or restarting Herceptin therapy has not been studied

Mary Jo
12-10-2007, 04:49 PM
Hi Susan,

I don't really have a clue as to the meaning of those statements you quoted from the herceptin site but Joanne's explanations sound logical to me. The REAL REASON for responding to your post was to tell you how much I love your new picture. You look awesome.

Hugs and love I send,

Mary Jo

nitewind
12-10-2007, 04:52 PM
Thanks Joann, here I go again, just looking for something to worry about. Grrrr...I'm gonna quit reading stuff now.
Thanks again for clearing it up.
Hugs
Oh yeah, changed my sig a little, thanks

PinkGirl
12-10-2007, 05:13 PM
Nite,
The one year after completing Taxol is
the year that you were receiving the
Herceptin.... 2 months of Herceptin with
Taxol and 10 months of it alone.... so the
year they are talking about is one that just
went by.

Joanne S
12-10-2007, 05:28 PM
Pinky,
It's one year after completing Taxol treatments (not one year after starting Taxol treatments), since she only had three Taxotere treatments, I would guess that would mean one-two more months for a very, very tiny chance of finding heart problems. I still don't think she has anything to be alarmed or worried about anyway.
Thanks,
Jo

suzan w
12-10-2007, 07:00 PM
I think that if you made it through the Herceptin with no adverse effects on your heart that you will be just fine!!! I hate statistics! Unless they are in my favor!!!!!

nitewind
12-10-2007, 07:30 PM
My thanks to all of you. Sometimes, all we have to do is misconstru one little thing and get all freaked out....I'm really good at that!
And Mary Jo, what a sweet thing to say, I was a little leery about having my picture taken that night, but I figure, hey....it's me now, don't plan on looking like I used to. Just takes a little getting used to.
I'll try to be good and not freak anymore but I can't make any promises.
Thanks girls
Hugs