PDA

View Full Version : Looks like my hair is coming back???????

kareneg
12-08-2007, 04:16 PM
The last time this happened the Taxol failed me. I did get a nice long run out of Taxol twice but I am so afraid that the Taxotere is going to also fail. Over the past year all the treatments I have been on lasted only four months tops. I really don't have many more options and I am so scared maybe I am over reacting but it has been on my mind so much lately. I see the Doctor on Monday and get the bloodwork results, I am due in January for another Ct Scan. Has anyone here had there hair grow back and still responed to there treatment? Thanks for letting me vent I love you all with all my heart even though we have never met, you all mean the world to me just like you are my family. Oh YEAH YOU ARE MY SISTERS AND BROTHERS! Thanks again!

LOPSIDED
12-08-2007, 04:33 PM
My Hair Started Growing Back As Soon As I Started Taxotere. After Taxotere, I Started Herceptin But After 9 Months On Herceptin, I Had Mets To My Ovaries. Its Been A Long Road But I Still Have Hair. I Wish You The Best.

Mary Anne in TX
12-08-2007, 04:51 PM
I don't know what to say except that I am praying for you and believing that your onc will find the right combination for you. I hate this disease that makes you so afraid. You're such a beautiful person with such a wonderful heart. You deserve to be thinking of Christmas lights, the joy of family, and the reason for the precious season. I'm going to pray for your own very special miracle this holiday season! May you be overwhelmed with a large measure of peace. Much love to you, sweet Karen. Mary Anne

Sheila
12-08-2007, 06:04 PM
Karen
I am on Taxol right now...at first the hair was gone, but it is growing back while I'm still on it.....the nurses said this happens alot...especially on the taxols....

Joanne S
12-08-2007, 06:34 PM
Karen,

Sometimes life just doesn't seem to be fair, and you should not have to caught in worry or fear again---especially during the holiday season. May you remain positive and enjoy the holidays with your beautiful baby!

You are in my thoughts & prayers!

May God hold you in his loving and healing arms!

Joanne S

PinkGirl
12-08-2007, 07:22 PM
I lost all of my hair on FAC and then started Taxol.
My hair started to grow back before I finished the Taxol.

Becky
12-08-2007, 08:46 PM
Me too - I started taxol and lost the rest of my body hair (brows and lashes) but the hair on my head started to grow.

Also - you are not out of options. Gemzar and the new drug that was just mentioned that was approved (I'll look at the posts again). Also - Abraxane. Combos with Tykerb and Herceptin. You have lots of combos. I am thinking about you. Have faith.
http://www.abcnews.go.com/Health/OnCallPlusTreatment/wireStory?id=3738535
Here is the drug

lilyecuadorian
12-08-2007, 09:25 PM
OH My DEAR ...I think like Becky you have many options , and my hair after fall ..start to grow in some parts of my head ..but don't think like that !!I know is really hard ..but keep strong and faith always love you ...

dhealey
12-09-2007, 07:55 AM
Do not give in, even one once to this disease. You have not run out of options. I feel strongly your onc will find the right combo for you. Think positive and enjoy the holiday season. Will keep you in my prayers that you feel god's healing arms wrapped around you.

Mary Jo
12-09-2007, 08:04 AM
I, too, was told that my hair could start growing back on Taxol and OH how I waited for that happen. However, in my case, in never happened. Then to top it off, my eyelashes and eyebrows left me completely 4 weeks AFTER Taxol had ended. Oh well!!!!!!

Sending love and hugs to you and prayers for healing to be on the horizon.

Love you too!! As you said, we are family. We've never met BUT we feel as if we know each and everyone and we care and love each other DEEPLY.

Hugs,

Mary Jo

nitewind
12-09-2007, 08:22 AM
Karen, my hair started growing back when I was on taxotere. Don't give up, there are many options out there.
I hoping and praying for the very best of Holidays for you.
Hugs

BonnieR
12-09-2007, 09:47 AM
Maybe I misunderstood your concern, but it sounds like you are equating hair loss/growth with the success of treatment. I have been told that everyone, and every situation, is different. One does not even always lose their hair entirely. At least I HOPE that is the case, since I have kept some throughout my treatment. I would hate to think that means that it has not worked!

Karen W
12-09-2007, 10:19 AM
Yes, me too... my hair grew back on Taxol. Try not to worry too much.

Karen

Mary Jo
12-09-2007, 11:11 AM
Yes, Bonnie is right. What happens to us during treatment is different for every person. I was told this by my onc. too. I remember thinking chemo wasn't working well for me because I handled it so well. My blood counts were always just fine and I could pretty much function as normal.

So, if that was your concern yes, we're all different as far as how we react.

Mary Jo

tousled1
12-09-2007, 12:56 PM
Karen,

Don't worry about your hair growing back being a sign that treatment is not working. Remember we all react differently to teh same treatment. As for you running out of options -- Becky's right you have many options left out there. I'm praying that you won't have to use any of the options though.

Believe51
12-10-2007, 06:40 AM
Wanted to let you know that Ed 'IS' responding to the A/C recipe and still has his hair. It will be his third treatment on the 21st and we thought he would be bald but it is actually growing back rather well. Since this drug combo has cumulative effects we will have to see if it remains growing or if it falls out. Do not know if this helps but I wanted to just let you know you are always in my thoughts. Always. As we discussed, our doctor was asked to speak at a Dana Farber conference and while he was there he also petitioned for new clinical studies to get here in Rhode Island; one reason was to have a back-up plan for the big guy. As he spoke he used Ed as a fine example of what he needs here for his patients who are using up options to no avail. He came back and brought HOPE and EXCITEMENT, he was revitalized as he discussed the drugs in the nearby future and the glorious clinical trials that we will be recieving here in the state.

And since Dear Friend you are in the same state as we are I wanted you to hear firsthand from someone whom is exploring these options. Not just for Mighty Oak, but for the other fighters who feel the same way as us!! There is always hope Sweetie and it arrives each day and so do miracles. Hang in there Lovey, help is on the way. Until it arrives I send tremendous love and sprinkle it with newfound hope. As much as I 'Believe', I still know the dire circumstances that Mighty Oak faces, I think hope comes in small packages and allows us to go forward. But one thing is for sure, we need to know there are more options because it holds some of that HOPE!!>>Lovingly..>>Believe51

Joanne S
12-10-2007, 06:49 AM
Believe51,

That's wonderful news! Most likely Ed's hair will fall out within the next week or so.

Blessings, and wishes for continued improvement!

Joanne S
12-10-2007, 07:26 AM
Karen,
Hope these posts have eased your worry and have given you some peace of mind.
Hugs,
Joanne S

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Look to this day, for it alone...is life.

In this brief course of this one day lie all the realities of your existence---that
joy of living, the splendor of beauty, the glory of action.

Yesterday is but a dream. Tomorrow is only a vision, but today well lived will
make every yesterday a dream of happines and each tomorrow a vision of hope.

Look well, therefore, to this one day, for it alone is life.

<O:p</O:p

kareneg
12-10-2007, 12:27 PM
For the outpouring support love and prayers it means the world to me and also made my doctor visit earlier very easier. I will never ever give up hope that is not in me at all everyday is a day filled with hope. I got the results today from my CA 27-29 and as I exspected it's on the rise again it went from 56 to 76 in three weeks time so being down this road so many times I know the cancer is progressing again. Unless by some fluke the new pill I am on is messing with the test. I ended up in the Hospital throwing up blood and they found that I have 3 ulcers and a tear in the lining of my stomach and put me on Protonix. I still had the Taxotere and Herceptin treatment today and will have a ct the 1st week of January and see my doctor on the 7th of January. For now I will only tell my Husband the results my Dad knows already because he goes to every treatment with me. I don't want to worry anyone during the beautiful Holiday season.

If I do need a new treatment regime I will most likely be on the new drug that you talked about Becky so that is exciting too! And Marie what can I say I am so glad this treatment is working for Ed and we have to talk soon so you can fill me in on all the new clinical trials coming from Dana Farber that totally gives me hope! And hope to all of our beautiful brothere and sister's here! Again that you all so much I love each and everyone of you and you are all in my thougts and prayers! And thank you to Joe and Christine for this wonderful support group it is THE BEST BY FAR!

chrisy
12-10-2007, 10:15 PM
Karen,
Sorry, I missed this post and did not respond earlier. Hang in there. Try to enjoy the beauty of the holidays - and to not worry too much about what your scan in January MIGHT reveal. Of course, at the same time I know you will be working on your next plan of attack. Quite the balancing act, isn't it?

BTW, the hair is not an indicator of efficacy (per my rockstar oncologist).

Much love
Chris