PDA

View Full Version : Tykerb rash/A very good day

Vanessa
12-06-2007, 05:30 PM
I know people have posted about the Tykerb rash and I believe I am just now experiencing it. It is mostly on my legs and looks like mosquito bites and itches like mosquito bites. Does that sound about right. I will get a chance to show my chemo nurse tomorrow.

On Tuesday, I had an appointment with my general practitioner, who practices both allopathic and alternative medicine. He asked me if he could pray for me and I said yes. He got down on his knees, took both of my hands and prayed. The next day on Wednesday, I had the best day ever. No naseau, I was able to eat, no diarrhea and I had a decent amount of energy. I was so grateful to have a good day and attributed to the prayer. However, this morning I woke up and I felt terrible. I had a headache, naseous, diarrhea and no appetite. I was extremely disappointed. I realize the prayer could have still made me have a good day, I guess I was just expecting more. Anyway, thanks for letting me vent. I just needed to write about it. Thanks.

Becca
12-06-2007, 06:26 PM
Vanessa, I have not had a rash like the other gals described, but more like what you are having. A small rash area, like a bite, maybe bigger with itching. Only a few for me, like on my back, shoulder, hand--on and off at different places.

My day yesterday was just like yours, felt good with plenty of energy--did holiday shopping most of the day. Today worn out, nausea, diarrhea. Hope tomorrow is a better day for both of us. Prayer helps me a lot--need to spend more time at it.

chrisy
12-07-2007, 06:57 PM
Vanessa, where did you find a doctor who will pray for you! That is really a blessing.

Sorry you're not consistently feeling well - and I hope things start to settle down for you, you sure deserve a break.

My rash was minor, then gone, and now is back again. For me, it's more like whitehead zits on my nose and also rashy on my back. I think also my scalp - but I can only see my nose so that's all I'm positive about.

Take care, my dear
Chris

Vanessa
12-07-2007, 11:36 PM
I wish all of our days could be good days. I did have another good day today, not quite as good as the other, but definately less nausea and diarrhea. My rash does look like mosquito bites and whiteheads and is very itchy. I have been using cortisone creme and my nurse recommended Calamine or Caladryl lotion.

Chrisy, the doctor that prayed for me is an MD that practices a combination of allopathic medicine and alternative medicine. He prays for all of his patients on the day of their appointments. He staffs every morning and includes prayer. This particular day I think he felt led to pray for me, after hearing about brain mets. It was a very powerful prayer. He takes care of my thyroid and monitors my heart, liver enzymes and other metabolic issues.

I have a spot on my scalp also. Most of them are on my legs. I have not done any Christmas shopping yet. I need to get to it. Here is hoping that we have more good days than bad days!

Roz
12-08-2007, 02:33 AM
Hi Vanessa,
I have a constant rash on my right arm (side of mastecotomy) and on the back of both of my hands. I put it down to slowly increasing the Tykerb. The body just gets ready to let the rash subside when I hit it with another half a tablet! However I think I will stop and 4 and half for some time now, so hopefully the rash will subside. I too had very big swings in energy, but it seems to have settled more now (I hope, anyway).

jml
12-08-2007, 04:12 PM
My sister, (a physician recruiter for Genentech) and my Onc's NP told me that rash & diarrhea are thought to be a good indicators that you're responding to the drug!
Apparently, studies show anectodal evidence that the population that was most responsive/sensitive to Tykerb (& another drug that was presented, but I don't know which) also reported rash & diarrhea.
So, when I broke out into a dreadful rash all over my neck, that crept up behind my ears & all over my belly, I CELEBRATED!
Accupuncture has always been really effective in helping me manage the side effects of chemo like nausea, flu'ish feeling, & has even made the rash & diarrhea more manageable.
Regardless, I do a little happy dance as I'm itching & running to the restroom!

kareneg
12-08-2007, 04:32 PM
Dear Vanessa,

I am so sorry you are feeling like this I am praying that it gets better, and I also herd that if you get the rash that means your responding. I had Tykerb in 2006 and had no rash and I also did not respond to the treatment. So I pray you respond and feel better soon!

hutchibk
12-10-2007, 08:41 PM
That is wonderful, Vanessa! My general surgeon asked if he could pray with me a few hours before my mastectomy. I said OF COURSE. He is a magnificent man. He has also prayed before the removal of my old port and the insertion of my newest port. I love him. He is one of my heros, as well as one of the most talented surgeons in town. He prays before every surgery, and preferably with the patient.

I have not have anymore rash since my first two weeks. I do occasionally have itching, but no rash or whiteheads. I am glad you had a couple of good days. I wish you many many more of those!

tousled1
12-10-2007, 09:44 PM
Vanessa,

What a wonderful doctor you have. I've never run across a doctor that asked if he could pray for/with me. Sorry you're not feeling so great but it does make you appreciate the "good" days a whole lot more.