PDA

View Full Version : Healthy food tip

StephN
11-24-2007, 01:01 PM
Starting new thread as this is a bit different than cooking and eating ideas. This makes SO much sense as I know most vitamins are fat soluble and we must eat something when we take them to derive the benefit. We often make our own dressing - NOT fat free! http://her2support.org/vbulletin/images/icons/icon7.gif

•Dress Your Veggies
<!-- Full Text (above ad) -- Begin Tracking Section 1 -->
Fat-free dressing may not be the most nutritious choice for your salads. A bit of healthy fat can help raw veggies pack a more powerful nutrient punch, according to research. In a new study, people who ate salads with dressings that had some fat in them absorbed more carotenoids from the vegetables compared to people who used non-fat dressing. Carotenoids are a family of potent antioxidants.
Carotenoids protect against cancer and give fruits and veggies their bright red, orange, and yellow hues. Carotenoids are fat-soluble, which means they require fat in order to be absorbed in the small intestine. Remember, however, that fat is high in calories, so use fat-containing products such as salad dressing in moderation. Also, choose salad dressings with healthy fats, such as olive oil or canola oil, which are unsaturated and have a favorable effect on blood cholesterol levels. In a study, people who consumed salads with equal amounts of spinach, romaine lettuce, cherry tomatoes, and carrots absorbed more alpha carotene, beta carotene, and lycopene from the salads when they used fat-containing salad dressing.
<!-- End Tracking Section 2 --><!-- RealAge Benefit & Search --><!-- Begin Tracking Section 3 -->
<!-- End Tracking Section 1 --><!--(above ad)-->http://www.realage.com/App_Images/Miscellaneous/misc_clear_dot.gif
<!-- tip margin --><!-- tip background -->

StephN
11-24-2007, 01:09 PM
One more I thought was interesting.

•The Almighty Orange, Dissected
<!-- Full Text (above ad) -- Begin Tracking Section 1 -->
<YAHOOIGNORE />Orange peel, pulp, or juice: Which one has the most vitamin C?

Orange pulp wins, according to the authors of the book SuperFoods HealthStyle. The pulp has twice as much vitamin C as the peel and 10 times as much as the juice.

Ergo - buy your orange juice with some pulp left in.

PinkGirl
11-24-2007, 03:59 PM
If you eat tons and tons and tons and tons and tons of
CHOCOLATE, your feet will get smaller.

Jeanette
11-24-2007, 05:46 PM
The choclate sounds good, but tell me, is it good old Cadbury's or Hersheys. I prefer the cadbury,s myself. but sad to say my feet are still the same size. LOL , hugs to all, Jeanette

PinkGirl
11-24-2007, 06:52 PM
Jeanette,

I think any kind of chocolate will do. It just has to be LOTS of it.

I should have said that your feet will "appear" to get smaller.

Sheila
11-24-2007, 07:07 PM
I agree Pink...mine appear to be smaller, but it is because I have eaten so much chocolate, I can't see over my tummy!!!!

PinkGirl
11-24-2007, 09:38 PM
Yes Sheila, the more chocolate I eat, the bigger I get, and the smaller my feet look. If anyone wants smaller looking feet, chocolate is the answer.

Jeanette
11-25-2007, 07:35 AM
Maybe , if we just ate white chocolate they would shrink a little. It;s just a thought. My belly isn't get any smaller , so maybe this will do the trick, Jeanette

Believe51
11-26-2007, 12:55 PM
My feet have not gotten any smaller. Do I need to eat my chocolate with anything to aid the shrinkage?? Please tell!! Tehehe>>Believe51

PS How much chocolate must I need to go from a 8 1/2 to maybe a size 7?????????

Andrea Barnett Budin
11-26-2007, 02:11 PM
Hi y'all! I start each day with the Today Show on NBC. I get dressed and straighten up listening. This morning there was a segment on 5 new SUPERFOODS. I took notes, thinking of Steph's post. It was all about addressing our need for alternative foods with increased healthful benefits. Of course they did not speak of *chocolate*. Sorry to report...

ACAI is something new appearing in Health Food Stores. It cannot be ingested so you will find it in -- juices, sorbets, concentrates. Sorbets sound sweet, yes?! ACAI is chock full of antioxidants, increases circulation, is an anti-inflammatory, and has twice the power of blueberries and 10X the benefits of pomegranates!! I keep good notes. I, who have had IBS since '98 during and since Taxotere, cannot eat most any fruit, so I take supplements w/the replicated advantages. (Lycopom, by New Chapter, was recommended by my nut onc/guru having the punch of multiple tomatoes and dozens of pomegrtanates, which I cannot ingest, for example. Lycopom is rich in lycopenes and such.)

Another Superfood -- LAVERBREAD, which equals, according to my notes, A SUPER CLEANER. It binds together all the poisons and toxins in your body, rendering them indigestible. Meredith Vierra face didn't look like it was too tasty, but mixed w/something it could be disguised I suppose, to derive the benefits.

Then YERBA-MATE. It's an energy booster that doesn't stress the nervous system the way coffee does. Good for skin, with amino acids and green tea.

CUPUAQU. IT'S IN THE COCOA FAMILY, BUT NOT CHOCOLATE! Close but not the same, I know. It's a melon and -- destroys free radicals! It's high in antioxidants and it touted as -- a curative for whatever ails you. It even cleans out your dietary tract! And is good for your skin.

Tht's 4 Superfoods, I know. The phone rang...

Coming to your local Health Food Store, they say. Me, I'm sticking w/my supplements list... The important thing -- stay well and healthy!!!
Andi http://cdn-cf.aol.com/se/smi/0201e05fca/06

PinkGirl
11-26-2007, 02:33 PM
Believe: You must remember that I corrected my original post.
Eating lots and lots of chocolate will make your feet appear to be smaller. If your body is not getting bigger, your feet will not look smaller, therefore, you are not eating enough chocolate.

Andi: Are you pulling my leg? There is a melon that belongs to
the cocoa family??? Did they say it tasted like a melon, or that
it tasted like chocolate?

Andrea Barnett Budin
11-26-2007, 06:00 PM
Ok. CUPUAQU or CUPUAGU, can't read my handwriting. It looks like a melon. It is from the cocoa family! Yes. And -- it is really good for your free radicals, etc., per above.

Now, as a recovered chocoholic, I was never a mocha fan. Different thing entirely to me. Like white chocolate. An insult to my tastebuds which used to crave chocolate. The real deal. Now I do not eat sugar of any kind. Not one bite. Because one bite leads to... You know... And your waist grows larger and you can't see your feet, whatever size they are. So I'm thinking this cocoa family melon isn't, pardon the mixed metaphor, my cup of tea. Tehehe (as per Marie!)...

Worth checking out. Cures whatever ails you. Nature's aspirin in a melon. Cleans out your dietary tract and gives you nice skin... Wasn't that thoughtful of God?
Andi

hutchibk
11-26-2007, 06:57 PM
I would just like to suggest DARK chocolate as the healthy way to go. Oh, and I have no problem with the thought of dark chocolate and melon. Sounds like a good combo to me.

PinkGirl
11-27-2007, 03:09 PM
When I have indigestion, I take Chocolate Tums Smoothies. :cool:

Believe51
11-30-2007, 06:18 AM
Wanted to know what you had on the glorious AVACADO, it is one of my favorites. Also I know you have posted the Lime Chicken recipe before along with the Salmon but I cannot locate them for some reason. Mind sending them to me if it is not too much of a pain??>>Believe51

Andrea Barnett Budin
11-30-2007, 11:07 AM
25 yrs ago I had a wedge of avocado with cold cooked shrimp all in a row and russian dressing (mayo and ketchup or you can try chili sauce). Paul and I still talk about it. It was to die for...

Of course salsa w/avocado and tortilla chips is yummy. We sometimes just buy salsa jars (mild, medium and hot). We like medium. Very good.

Andi

Andrea Barnett Budin
11-30-2007, 11:09 AM
I meant guacamole w/avocado. OR salsa, blah, blah...

Synapse failure... Sorry.

StephN
12-06-2007, 01:58 PM
Hi Believe - have not been to this thread for a while so missed your query. Not sure it was I who posted on the lime chicken and will look on Avocado. We eat them "au naturel" in salads or sliced with good tomatoes with olive oil and balsamic vinegar.

PINK GIRL - and other chocoholics, this is for you. The Epicurious web site is replete with great dessert recipes and many feature your favorite food!

http://www.epicurious.com/recipesmenus/desserts

I had a web site just on chocolate, but the site has moved or gone as the link no longer worked - http://her2support.org/vbulletin/images/icons/icon9.gif

StephN
12-06-2007, 02:05 PM
Did you know that those annoying little produce stickers have a purpose other then pricing at checkout??

Watch them carefully for the following information:

If you wish to avoid genetically modified produce, avoid any with stickers containing 5 digits starting with an 8.
For ORGANIC items, look for stickers with 5 digits starting with a 9.

What about 4 digits? Just means that the item was commercially grown and is neither organic or genetically modified.

Happy shopping!

Believe51
12-06-2007, 02:52 PM
Thanks for the information on the labels. As the Late Great Johnny Carson would say: "I did not know thattttt!!". I found that helpful and will pass the word around. We are in charge of what we chose to put in our bodies and same holds true, knowledge is power and we are what we eat.>>Believe51

StephN
07-03-2008, 05:23 PM
But important trivia it is!

Did you know that cooked artichokes have more antioxidants per serving than any other vegetable?

It says so on the tag that came on my Ocean Mist Organic Globe Artichoke.

Check 'em out at:

http://www.oceanmist.com/

Recipes there as well.

sassy
07-03-2008, 06:19 PM
Thru all this i have been keeping an eye on my feet. They not only appear to be tiny, but I think they are going to disappear!

Bill
07-03-2008, 07:36 PM
Thanks for the artichoke tip, too, Steph!

PinkGirl
07-04-2008, 09:11 AM
Hey Sassy
Are you saying that you are living proof of my chocolate/small
feet theory?

I am, but the propellerheads usually need more
than one success story to publish an abstract. I'm thinking of
starting a clinical trial .......

Andrea Barnett Budin
07-04-2008, 01:46 PM
Not to be mean, but I am intervening here.

Someone needs to start a chocolate rehab center, I think.

Here's to getting high on Life...
Andi http://cdn-cf.aol.com/se/smi/2b00001c91/08

harrie
07-05-2008, 04:09 PM
PinkGirl....fantastic idea about the clinical trial for choc!! I volunteer!!! And please don't reject me cuz I hate the shakes!!

Mary Anne in TX
07-05-2008, 04:44 PM
I also want to be in the chocolate trial. Then, I PROMISE, to join the Chocolate 12 step program! I promise!!!!! It's not hard to find one is it?

harrie
07-05-2008, 04:58 PM
Hi Mary Anne!
Love, Mary Anne

Andrea Barnett Budin
07-05-2008, 05:18 PM
Hello. My name is Andi. I am a chocoholic. I have been chocolate free for 4 1/2 years.

I have fallen off the wagon... I'm just saying...

Andi http://cdn-cf.aol.com/se/clip_art/gstres/anmls/animals-butterfly

PinkGirl
07-05-2008, 05:38 PM
Hello, My name is Pinkie
I have made a searching and fearless moral inventory of
myself and admit that I am powerless over chocolate.

I have been chocolate-free for 12 hours.

StephN
07-05-2008, 09:24 PM
I am eating an imported cookie with chocolate filling right now!

HELP me!

harrie
07-05-2008, 11:50 PM
Hello, my name is Harriecanarie and I am a chocoholic. I have been a chocoholic since as long as I can remember. I am willing to enter the choco-rehab 12 step program with Mary Anne from Tx since us Mary Annes stick together, but only on the condition that I am allowed into the chocolate clinical trials first! Otherwise, forget it!

Sheila
07-06-2008, 05:32 AM
My name is Sheila and I am an admitted chocoholic....I am awaiting the invention of chocolate in spray cheese cans...no spoons or forks needed...HELP Pinky...I need to get into the arm of the trial that gives you the IV chocolate

chrisy
07-06-2008, 12:12 PM
Hello, My name is Chris and I am a chocoholic. They say the first step to recovery is to admit you have a problem. May I go on record as saying, I do not think that being a chocoholic is a problem at all, it's a blessing. It's only a problem if you have no standards and eat inferior chocolate.

hutchibk
07-06-2008, 08:52 PM
I go to choc anon, because I have an addicted partner...

I am only a recreational dark chocolate imbiber.

chrisy
07-07-2008, 09:06 AM
could a thread about healthy food tips (or good or bad scans) turn into confessions of chocoholics! LOL.

Maybe we need to have a separate thread dealing with this issue (just kidding)

Brenda, it always starts out as just one or two pieces just for recreational purposes...

StephN
07-07-2008, 10:39 AM
Well, Chrisy, I tried.
But this thread just PROVES that CHOCOLATE is the most interesting food in the world, even to us cancer types, who profess to want to eat as healthy as possible.

Actually a separate thread might be a good idea, as chocoholics might accidently stumble upon this innocently-titled thread and fall off their chocolate wagon.

Would not want to be responsible for THAT! Gadzooks!

Colleens_Husband
07-07-2008, 10:53 AM
Hello My name is Lee and I am a chocoholic. I have made a fearless and searching moral inventory and I have found that I like chocolate. I couldn't have chocolate for four years for health reasons, and now I can have it, so I will. I didn't fall off of the wagon, I dove off the wagon, did a 360 degree twist from the pike position and then did a cannonball when I hit bottom. It's been over a day since I had chocolate and I am going to remedy that after lunch with a double chocolate, chocolate chip cookie at the nearby coffee house. And I will think of all of you while I eat it, well ....., except for the 'thinking of you' part.

Lee the Unrepentant

Bill
07-07-2008, 05:36 PM
Hi! My name is Bill. I don't have a problem with chocolate right now but I used to. I have been chocolate-free for 8 years. (except got the last two weeks for some reason, I've had it 5 or 6 times. I bought 3 items of chocolate to send to some friends, but 2 of them accidentally got eaten while laying in bed one night before they could get mailed off, but I don't really have a problem. I've got it under control now)

sassy
07-07-2008, 09:01 PM
My feet are gone.
I am officially a Weeble now.
Are Weebles excluded from the trial?

I could go into the wobbling arm?!

Sheila
07-08-2008, 07:51 AM
I saw this and thought of you...if I could have put your head on this shirt, I would have

hutchibk
07-08-2008, 09:01 AM
Chrisy - it's called 'da Nile' (and it is a river of chocolate, mind you) and cocoa-dependence, let me enjoy it, will ya?

Sheila - I would rather fall into chocolate, too - it's got to be less painful in the long run.

PinkGirl
07-08-2008, 02:20 PM
Sassy
I hadn't thought that far ahead on the clinical trial. Maybe you could
be in the group that doesn't get the chocolate and we could see if your
feet grow back. I was prepared for shrinking feet, not no feet.

I also haven't worked out all the kinks for the participants who have
ports..... perhaps a separate trial on the difference between oral and IV
chocolate.... lots to think of here ....

Sheila
First it was a photograph of the dessert tray at the restaurant and now this chocolate t-shirt...... you're giving people the impression that all I do is
eat chocolate all day long ... hmmmm ...

juanita
07-08-2008, 04:36 PM
I am definitely a chocoholic and I refuse to give it up. I quit the spray cheese cold turkey, but I will not give up chocolate without starting wwIII

Colleens_Husband
07-09-2008, 01:18 PM
Hey Juanita:

Would you sell your soul for spray chocolate? You know, like the creamy gooey texture of spray cheese only made with 75% cacao dark chocolate. Creamy gooey dark chocolate. Ymmmmmm!

Lee the temptor

juanita
07-09-2008, 03:26 PM
Oh yeah, especially if it's dark chocolate.

StephN
07-10-2008, 09:44 AM
Hey -
I am in by bathing suit and ready for some spray chocolate FUN!
Think we should hold the marshmallow cream, however. Too messy!

juanita
07-25-2008, 08:31 PM
anything new from the chocoholics anonomous(sp?)?

StephN
07-25-2008, 11:24 PM
Anybody had Dirt Cups???

My grandson's girlfriend made some for the family BBQ last weekend.

Easy to make.
Set out some wide mouth short plastic cups. Fill about 2/3 with chocolate pudding, then embed a gummy worm or something on that order in that. The "topping" is crumbled up dark chocolate cookies. Chill till time to eat them.

The sugar free pudding made them yuckier than they sound!! The young set loved them, however ...

I stuck to my red wine and the cheesecake.

juanita
07-27-2008, 05:08 PM
you can also make those with nilla wafers and vanilla pudding, sand cups.

Mary Jeanne Phillips
07-27-2008, 07:42 PM
Hi, this is Mary Jeanne and I am so glad to put a face to Andi's name and also Hutchi. I really loved reading all these stories. I wish I could be like andi and never have a speck of sugar again but being on Macrobiotics that is the one thing I have not been faithful with. We are NOT supposed to eat sugar in any form, or eggs, or meat or any dairy. I have done well in that department, but not the sugar. Also only fish, no meat.
thanks for the great stories and pictures of all of you. Mary Jeanne