PDA

View Full Version : wondering

rhondat123
11-05-2007, 10:28 PM
hi im not new but i finish my year herceptin in january i was stage1 1.7cm invasive mammery carcinoma grade 3 her2 and no nodes involved i was wondering has there been any people her2 that has not had reoccurence or am i a sitting duck i guess years ago people didnt know about her2 i know people who had bc and never seen it again but i am 35 that is why i am wondering if you know any people that has got to have a normal life again i hate this her2 stuff but i hear oh herceptin but does it really stop it

Chelee
11-06-2007, 12:53 AM
Rhondat, Congratulations on finishing your year of herceptin. Although I know that can bring mixed emotions. You can be glad that your done, but also feel like your not doing anything to keep it from coming back.
But to answer your question...yes there are women here that have *not* had any recurrances. :) I am sure when they see your post they will be more then glad to say hi and tell you a bit about them. So no...you are not a sitting duck even though I know you feel that way at the present. These days even though your her2/neu so much has changed. The treatment for it has come a long way. Its hard at first but things will get back to normal. As we all say...a NEW normal...nothing is every the same after something like this. But you have lots to look forward too. Hang in there...

Chelee

newgg
11-06-2007, 03:29 AM
Rhondat,
Greetings ! Yes, Live well today.....today is the "present" that we have and find that " New Normal" for you. Was dx in May 2004 triple pos and NED to this point in time. More info under the member profile. Have learned so much from the Warriors here about the newest and powerful weapons that are available to our Her2 members. As well as how to fight, who to contact and what to use if there is a problem. So live it up, laugh a lot, love much and dance every chance you get. For me it means great times with grandsons and travels in the motor home! As for all that other *stuff*......as I tell my hyper doggie.....just "leave it"!!
Go for the Gold ! Hugs, Bonnie

Becky
11-06-2007, 03:39 AM
Rhonda

Besides the fact that Herceptin has improved the odds, even before Herceptin, it is not a given you will recur - not at all. It is natural to wonder and worry, especially in the beginning years. I do and I am over 3 years out. You are not a time bomb and the odds are very much on your side. Enjoy every day but don't tire yourself out because you have 40+ years of enjoying.

MJo
11-06-2007, 07:02 AM
I was Stage I. I believe I have an excellent chance of never having a recurrence. I agree with Becky-- you (we) are not a ticking time bomb. I am vigilant about my health, and I remind myself to be grateful for every day. I am celebrating two years after diagnosis, and a clear mammogram every year.

Hopeful
11-06-2007, 08:01 AM
Rhondat,

I know the impression you can get from reading the posts here is that everyone recurs, because we have so many members with mets that are posting. I think it is important to note that those with recurrences are overrepresented in our membership. Most of the people posting here are sharing information and support for primary therapy or for therapy for cancer that has progressed. There are many who have completed their initial treatments that are cancer free and no longer feel the need to connect with our community, and have moved on. So, it is less common to see early stage patients who have completed treatment and remain NED posting. That doesn't mean there isn't an army of them out there, waiting to induct you.

Best of luck to you,

Hopeful

DonnaD
11-06-2007, 09:37 AM
Well said Hopeful. Remember that Rhonda
Donna

RhondaH
11-06-2007, 10:13 AM
I know what your feeling (I finished my last one 8/10/05), but it IS true what they say about eventually getting your life back. I once in a while think of it, but I know I've done and am doing (diet and exercise) everything I can to fight the beast. Heck, I'm TOO busy with church and my son's school (have to get a dress for the Msr. Alt dinner, The Womens Advent tea, I'm chairman for Breakfast w/ Santa and THEN there's work and school...cancer took too much time from me before, I'm too busy catching up:) Like Becky and the others have said, there is no guarantee, but is there EVER? BIG huggs. Take care and God bless.

Rhonda

Mary Jo
11-06-2007, 01:23 PM
Hi Rhonda.
Well, I'm a her2 sister and am 2+ years out with no recurrence. I am banking on NOT having one and try to live each day as if it's my last. Not in a depressing kind of way, mind you, but in the knowledge that NONE of us know what our tomorrow's hold. Geez, for that matter, none of us know what the next hour holds. I wake each day thanking God for this day's good health - I ask Him to help me live it ALL for Him - to love and spread joy and peace wherever I go and TRY (with all capital letters most definitely) to leave all the worries about my tomorrow's with the One who's given me today. That all being said, does that mean I don't worry and get down about this "stuff" returning??? Unfortunately, I do. BUT, that does become less and less as time goes on. For today, I am NED and I try to concentrate on that fact each day. One day at a time. That is plenty.

God's Peace and healing to you dear one,

Mary Jo

Ruth
11-06-2007, 01:53 PM
Look at my signature.....go live your life! We are out there just like Becky said. I'm over the 4 year mark and working on year #5!

Peace ~ Ruth

sassy
11-06-2007, 06:04 PM
Rhonda, (love the name too!)
You do eventually get back to a more normal way of life, where every moment is not spent in worry. I am 2 1/2 years out from a IIIA dx and although health stays in the forefront of my thoughts, fear is no longer a major player. You have every reason to believe you will live life without cancer in your future.

There are many of us who have benefited from Herceptin and have very good prognosis---and you are one too.

Come here for information and suppport. There is no better place where you will be completely understood and supported.

My best to you,

(Another Rhonda)

dhealey
11-06-2007, 06:34 PM
Rhonda, I can relate to your feelings. I will have my last herceptin treatment in late December. When I think about it I get scared because while you are in treatment it is your saftey net. The closer I get to December though I have decided not to let this disease continue to rule my life. I too start each day with the attitude to live it like it was my last and have no regrets. I have a loving family and I will continue to thrive as will you. I am getting stronge everyday and am doing things I did prior to diagnosis. I like to say I am a work in progress as are you. Learn to enjoy life and remember if it does come back they have wonder drugs like herceptin and tykerb to keep us going. Stay strong and be well!

rhondat123
11-06-2007, 08:36 PM
hey i was also rhonda bowen twice thats weird huh my exhusband was a bowen

sassy
11-06-2007, 08:50 PM
Rhonda,

I think we crossed paths before, maybe on another board?