PDA

View Full Version : After one year of Herceptin/then what?

tdonnelly
11-02-2007, 06:25 PM
I was told I need to take Herceptin for one year. I just finished my 6th treatment/every 3 weeks. What comes next, is it a wait and see what happens? I am confused about this?

Tamara
Invasive Ductal Carcinoma 11/2006
Lumpectomy / HER2+
A/C-4 cycles completed
Taxol- 4 cycles completed
Radiation- 7 of 33 completed to date
Herceptin - 6 of 12 completed to date

Sheila
11-02-2007, 06:36 PM
Tamara
The length of Herceptin has varied, most are on it a year, some 18 mos. I think a year is the most common. It does stay in your system after you go off it for awhile, like a couple months. It is like an added prevention measure, in hopes of preventing a recurrence. After you are through with the year, it is routine scans, tumor markers, here again every oncologist is different. You need to be vigilent, don't let worry rule your life...you live, but you always remember if something seems unusual or not right, get it checked. Talk to your oncologist and ask them what the plan is after you finish your Herceptin.

Bev
11-02-2007, 08:56 PM
Tamara,

Unless there's some new and exciting report, you will likely do H for 1 year total.So hang in there. You are working towards a cure. BB.

tousled1
11-02-2007, 09:45 PM
Tamara,

Standard protocol for Herceptin in one year. As Sheila said, Herceptin stays in your system for a while after your last treatment. Ask your oncologist what his/her plan for follow-up is. You didn't state what Stage you are and that has a major influence on what your follow-up is. Just don't make cancer become your life. use the rule that is you are experiencing anything different wait two weeks and if you still have the symptoms then get it checked out.

weezie1053
11-05-2007, 10:03 PM
My last Herceptin treatment is Nov 16. During my last visit, my Oncologist spent a lot of time with me to discuss followup care in the months and years ahead. I would recommend if your Oncologist doesn't make time for you "prior" to your last visit, you take his/her time to discuss any and all concerns and followup care. My oncologist has already scheduled me for a followup visit in April. I will see him twice a year, and I will also see my surgical oncologist twice a year. I am scheduled for Mammos in spring and MRI's in late summer. He told me if I remain cancer free, they will continue for this plan for the next 2 years. I am blessed with a caring and supportive Oncologist. While on Herceptin I some times did not have appointments to see him. He, however, would come visit while I was in the Fusion Center. He's a jewel! I call him my shepherd as he watches over me..

Louise