PDA

View Full Version : Nose bleeds

Verna
11-01-2007, 12:51 PM
I've had nothing but problems with nose bleeds ever since I had chemo. I've had my nose culterized twice and now the nose/ears/throat doc wants me to get CT of my sinuses. My onc said it is due to the chemo.

This has become such a problem because it bleeds when I do a hard workout, and it is very embarrassing when you have blood running out of your nose.

Has anyone else have this problem?

Thanks,
Verna

Sheila
11-01-2007, 01:05 PM
Verna
I am having these problems right now...but I think it is more from the Taxol as I also have gum bleeding....but bad, all of a sudden I look in the mirror and look like Dracula....not pretty! I am trying ocean mist nasal saline drops for moisture....we'll see.

Vanessa
11-01-2007, 02:46 PM
I had a lot of problems with nosebleeds when I was on Taxotere/carboplatin/herceptin. I had a small problem with nosebleeds on abraxane, but nothing like being on TCH.

penelope
11-01-2007, 03:48 PM
me, me, me.....I am not stage IV but I seem to have them alot. I am two years out from chemo. What causes them????

Lolly
11-01-2007, 04:23 PM
I'm having the same problem, ever since starting Taxotere with Herceptin/Xeloda...I forgot to ask my onc about it this week, but will bring it up next week with my chemo nurses.

Mary Anne in TX
11-01-2007, 05:50 PM
My nose bleeds stopped as soon as I stopped the Taxol, carboplatin and herceptin (well, I didn't stop H). It was always an adventure. I had to carry a kleenex everywhere, ready alert!

chrisy
11-01-2007, 06:11 PM
Verna, I had that problem while on Taxol (T/C/H). And to a lesser extent now on Avastin. I think it is definitely the chemo. But you should give yourself a pat on the back for doing "hard workout"!

One thing I did that helped is use a saline gel called Ayre. I applied it with a Qtip into each nostril. Sorry, that sounds gross but then again, so is a bloody nose.

Hope that helps. Also, it did stop after dropping the T/C and maintaining on Herceptin - so when you get a chemo holiday you should see improvement.

Verna
11-02-2007, 07:19 AM
Thanks everyone. We all have to deal with so much (not that the cancer beast is enough). It makes me feel alot better knowing this is some what of a normal after taking chemo.

Verna

StephN
11-02-2007, 11:48 AM
Hi Verna -
Sorry about your problem, but it plagues many of us.

I have had some ongoing problems with nasal sinuses even being NED and off chemo for over 5 years.
After I finished chemos in 2002 I went to my ENT who cauterized my nasal passage on the right side (that did not hold long). There was a constant sore about the size of a pencil eraser that would not stay scabbed over and heal. He also ordered at CT of my sinuses to check for infection and anything else. CT did not show anything except the nasal sinus on right side had a larger cavity than the left.

I used not only the AYR gel that Chrisy mentioned, but antibiotic salve as well. Sometimes had to go around the house with a tissue twisted up that right side of my nose to stanch bleeding.

While on the taxanes (I had both) my nose would bleed just sitting quietly such as at the dinner table, which was rather unnerving and unpleasant. Did not take even the slightest activity to bring on the flow!

Andrea Barnett Budin
11-02-2007, 02:36 PM
When I was on Taxotere I woke every morning w/a head full of mucous. I would blow my nose for literally a full half hr, using half a box of tissues -- to get all the mucous and BLOOD out. Severely dry mucous membranes, onc said. Used Ayr, Neosporin..

You would never catch me working out, so I can't relate to that. I didn't have nose bleeds during the day. JUST SEEING HOW *LUCKY* I WAS...

But the Taxotere did squash my multiple liver mets. And I had just about every possible side effect one could mention to boot. But, to me, it was worth it. HERE AM I! All these many yrs later NED. I just met someone who has been NDD (no discernable disease) since '98, after 5 yrs of fighting! ISN'T THAT FABULOUS?

So keep on keeping on, ladies... There is always hope. Marie -- are you listening????

WITH LOVE,
Andi

MAB1943
11-02-2007, 02:39 PM
yes I have nose bleeds constantly. I know what you mean, my nose is always running and that causes me NOT to know that it is bleeding until I put the tissue up to my nose and then nose bleed. I haven't done anything about it because it stops as quickly as it starts, but it sure is a mess. I am on Herceptin solo now so I believe it is from that not the chemo, although I did have nose bleeds on chemo too, while I was getting both taxol and Herceptin together.
Mary

weezie1053
11-02-2007, 04:42 PM
I too had nose bleeds while on Taxol. It stopped when I finished the chemo. No nose bleeds while on Herceptin. It sounds like it is the norm.

Louise

Andrea Barnett Budin
11-03-2007, 11:29 AM
Mary,

Please remind me. This brain can't seem to retain info like it used to. When did you finish Taxol? I had nose bleeds w/Taxotere as I mentioned above, but since stopping and being on Vit H (since '98) -- no nose bleeds. Are you using Ayr and/or Neosporin throughout the day? I found that helped...

Andi