PDA

View Full Version : ~Believe's Update For Mom's Biopsy

Believe51
11-01-2007, 06:25 AM
Ready for this one?? Mom's biopsy showed cancer!! She found out on her birthday!! I tried to tell her that it was a gift of empowerment, I reminded her that Ed's diagnosis day was not the worst day of our life it was the DAY BEFORE.....and that the day before we were powerless.

From what the surgeon has told her it is DCIS and basically explained what I had already braced her for from her questions. I know she is scared and sad but I also know of the pillar of strength she has inside. She is so cute too, she said "Just tell me what to do and I will do it to get better, Marie. Anything, just tell me".

Like I have always done before, I have listened to your journies and taken them into my heart and soul. When I have something that affects me differently (a new chemo regime, questions about a side effect, etc..) I call upon you girls, My Supreme Warriors!!

And now I call upon you, My Warrior Sisters to just ask for any feedback or suggestions about DCIS. Anything will be appreciated from you girls. As you know I am rather educated about Inflammatory Breast Cancer and I would like to be that educated about DCIS>Love and Prayers without the tears>>Believe51

lilyecuadorian
11-01-2007, 06:45 AM
I' so sorry to hear this bad news , hate cancer hate cancer ...go away stupid "C" ............but you know what I have a strong felling that you Mom is going to be a Supreme warrior and she is going to be Ok like many in this site. my prayes go to your Mom,Ed and you, Dear Care giver Marie

PinkGirl
11-01-2007, 10:50 AM
Geez Believe, is this some kind of a test???? I'm so sorry for your
mom and for you and Ed. I can't comment on the DCIS stuff - don't know
too much about that. But I'm sure you will hear from the Warriors.

Good luck to all of you. I think your supper of chocolate and nuts was
quite called for.........

Mary Jo
11-01-2007, 12:23 PM
Hi Marie,

I don't feel "qualified" to talk to you about DCIS although I do have a friend who was diagnosed with it almost 1 year ago. She had a mastectomy because there were other areas of DCIS in the breast. She did not need chemo because the cancer wasn't invasive (lymph nodes negative too) nor radiation.

Basically wanted to reply though to offer my encouragement, send a hug and to tell you my prayers have been said for your mom, you and Ed this day.

Love,

Mary Jo

BonnieR
11-01-2007, 01:04 PM
What is the next step? It will be important to know the stage.....

Becky
11-01-2007, 01:12 PM
Oh Marie. First a big hug to you. I do know all about DCIS as I had it on the other side. First, I am assuming she will need to get the DCIS completely removed. When that happens, pathology will tell you a couple of things. One is whether or not there are clean margins. If not, she will need to get clean margins. DCIS can grow one of two ways. It can grow up the duct and completely fill it (laterally). If this is the case, clean margins may be impossible (like a straw filled with liquid, you keep cutting but you never get a clean margin so the entire breast has to be removed for a good cosmetic outcome). The other way is a one point eventually growing outward or just beginning so it hasn’t traversed the entire duct. This makes for a good lumpectomy with clean margins. After that, you HAVE to make sure there is no invasive component. Then it changes from DCIS to IDC if you do. This is important. Important enough that you must send the slides for another pathology opinion. You have to (without a shadow of a doubt) make sure she does not have invasive cancer just beginning. If she does, she needs to have the sentinel node checked. You’ve taken Ed to Dana Farber so that would be a great place for a second opinion that it is truly only DCIS. Lastly is the pathology – is it ER+/PR+, Her2 etc. If she has a small DCIS with lumpectomy with wide excision margins – DO NOT opt for no radiation without at least 3 opinions. I was stupid on this but I didn’t know so I have wide excision lumpectomy with no radiation. However, Dana Farber says that no DCIS is too small not to have radiation (my DCIS was ER+/PR+ Her 2 neg and only 3mm) but none-the-less!!!! Keep us informed. We will help you along the way. We all love you Marie. Hang in there. My mother (who also had a small IDC and a survivor) always tells me that God doesn’t give you more than you could handle. You must be one hell of a woman darling’!!

Believe51
11-01-2007, 01:18 PM
Thanks for the imput as always, I cannot believe you even had time to write while Tiptoe is there. You are an amazing friend. Where in the world did you find the time to even read?? Keep us posted on Tippy, we miss her so. I will be posting her journal entries & pics soon.>>Love you right back>>Believe51

kareneg
11-01-2007, 01:48 PM
My Dear Marie,

I am heart broken about this news, but I know your mom will be ok she will beat this! I love you and I am right here whenever you need me. We need to go to the angel store when you can. Please give Mom and Ed a big hug and kiss and know they are and of course you are in my prayers.

Vanessa
11-01-2007, 02:18 PM
So sorry to hear the news. I will be keeping you, Ed, and your mother in my prayers. I am praying for a cure for both!!!!!!

Audrey
11-01-2007, 02:33 PM
I'm sorry to hear of your mother's cancer diagnosis. I was diagnosed on my birthday, too--I like what you told her about it being a gift of empowerment... it's true, although I didn't appreciate that at the time. Anyway, my original diagnosis was DCIS and I opted to have a mastectomy (with no further treatment planned), but then the pathology report came back with findings of invasive cancer. Don't mean to scare you with this, but, as Becky said earlier, you have to make sure there is no invasive cancer involved, too. My surgeon didn't bother to take any lymph nodes at the time of my mastectomy (since the initial biopsy showed only DCIS), so after invasive cancer was found I had to go back for axillary dissection surgery, just to check for cancerous lymph nodes (I had 11 positive nodes). So basically after being told it was "just DCIS--Stage 0" it turned out to be actually invasive cancer, Stage III. Fortunately, I had aggressive chemo, radiation and Herceptin and am doing FINE now, six years later, Thank God. I'll pray your mom doesn't have to go through any of this, that it is just a stage 0, non-invasive cancer. She and Ed are lucky to have you to lean on! Sending you a big hug,--Audrey

dhealey
11-01-2007, 03:19 PM
So sorry to hear about your mother's diagnosis. With you there to guide her and stand by her, she will survive this. Sending lots of prayers to heaven for all three of you.

lexigirl
11-01-2007, 04:41 PM
I am sorry to read about your mom's diagnosis. SHe is lucky to have a terrific and nurturing daughter like you to help her get through. Please let her know that she is in many prayers.

Hugs,
Lexi

MichelleH
11-01-2007, 07:06 PM
Marie,
My heart just sunk again reading your post. Give Mom a big hug from all of us and she has to know that she could not have a better supporter/advocate than you Marie.

breastcancer.org has info on their front page about DCIS. From skimming through it, I did catch that this is a non-invasive cancer. This is some good news.

Please keep us updated on Mom when you find things out and find time.

Big hugs to you Marie, Ed & Mom,
You are my sunshine.
Love,
Michelle

hutchibk
11-01-2007, 07:33 PM
Oh my word Marie - yikes! Your mom is one lucky woman, though, to have you as her consultant through this trying time. DCIS is 'ductal carcinoma in situ', and at it's most simple, 'in situ' means "defined by the absence of invasion of surrounding tissues."

Becky has pretty much given you a great primer... let us know what you need.

tousled1
11-01-2007, 09:05 PM
Marie,

I'm sorry to hear your mom's results. Just be patient and wait for the full pathology report as that will have the information you need to plan. I'm praying that it is only DCIS and not invasive.

Soccermom
11-01-2007, 09:17 PM
Marie,
Just another Her2er hoping that Moms pathology shows only DCIS. Beckys given you an excellent bit of information. Gosh, I am just so sorry that you have another loved one fighting this beast!

Warmly,Marcia

sassy
11-01-2007, 10:45 PM
Marie,

Just wanted you to know that I am thinking of you and keeping you in my prayers. Your mom is lucky to have you standing by her side. More prayers for Mom and Ed.

Believe51
11-02-2007, 08:36 AM
You are all certainly my 'peeps', I adore each and every one of you. Thanks for all the advice, private e-mails, and links to DCIS. I am so honored to call you my family. Surely an amazing group of Troopers. Prayers, cyberhugs and gynormous hugs coming your way today as every day. My life is so very full with you all, you are the best gifts I have ever had!!!!>>Believe51

Andrea Barnett Budin
11-02-2007, 02:53 PM
Hi Marie!

I had the privilege of hearing your voice with this awful news, as I also heard your strength and resolve. I am encouraged that Ed perked up and is now cheerleading. It is good for him to hear his own words coming from his SPIRIT out loud. As he reassures Mom he will become even more resolute in his own battle. This has given him fresh motivation. So something good always comes from something bad.

I pray Mom's is *only* DCIS, as the others have mentioned. I agree w/2 pathology reports. I tried my darnedest to get my fried to do this, to no avail. At least your Mom will listen to you. You are such a beautiful person, Marie. You have double the reason to remain stalwart and determined. You will bring these two people through this with your wisdom and your sunshine. You light up this board with the radiance of your BELIEF. Please know you, Ed and Mom are constantly in my heart, in my thoughts and in my prayers!!!

LOVE AND BIG GYNORMOUS HUGS FOR YOU ALL,
Andi

Jean
11-03-2007, 08:42 AM
Marie,
I am so sorry that you have received the news on your MOM.
Your strength, attitude and most of all, your love will keep Ed and Mom
strong. You are their shepard...will keep all of you in prayers.

Hugs,
Jean

rinaina
11-03-2007, 08:52 AM
So sorry to hear of your mother's diagnosis. The good news is though, that DCIS is non invasive so if that is the case, she may only need radiation and bypass chemo. I hope so. You are both in my prayers.

Patb
11-03-2007, 03:34 PM
More prayers coming your way. When it rains it pours. Take care.
You are a very caring strong person.
patb

fauxgypsy
11-07-2007, 02:17 PM
I am so sorry to hear of your Mom's diagnosis. Hopefully you will be able to help her navigate through this because of the experience you already have. But I am just so sorry.

Leslie