PDA

View Full Version : lymphedema ?

juanita
10-31-2007, 06:59 PM
I did something stupid tonight and carried a very heavy bag of books with the arm on my surgery side. I knew better but did it anyway. Right now my lumpectomy and snb scars hurt like heck and my arm hurts from the weight. So what are the chances of lymphedema occuring? I only had 2 lymph nodes removed. Is this something I really need to be very concerned about? And if I should be what would be the signs to be watching for?

Joanne S
10-31-2007, 07:11 PM
We all make mistakes. I wasn't paying attention when I went for Hereptin and the nurse started taking my blood pressure on my surgical arm---ouch that hurt! I don't have lymphedema, but signs are redness, pain, heat, swelling, or fever. Here's some good reference info I found some time ago:

http://www.ncrf.on.ca/files<WBR>/LymphedemaBookletweb.pdf (http://www.ncrf.on.ca/files/LymphedemaBookletweb.pdf)

Hope this is helpful.

Becky
11-01-2007, 02:57 AM
Be careful girlfriend!!! Be diligent. Watch TV and put your hand on top of the couch and every 5 min squeeze your hand like you are squeezing a tennis ball. Sleep with the arm elevated and be a good girl from now one..

Sheila
11-02-2007, 03:32 PM
Juanita
Just checking in to see how your arm is doing? If you do notice swelling, don't delay at getting it looked at...physical therapy can reduce it before it get carried away...it is a very gentle massage therapy used for lymphedema pts. to remove the fluids through the remaining lymph system. I went to a seminar on it...very interesting, but you need to go early!

tousled1
11-02-2007, 04:42 PM
You can develop lymphedema years after surgery -- it doesn't have to happen right away. You should be very careful about lifting anything heavy with the arm that you had lymph nodes removed from. If you continue to have problems with the arm let your doctor know becasue Physical Therapy if done in the beginning is very helpful.

juanita
11-03-2007, 07:37 PM
No signs of lymphedema, just sore muscles in it still. I have noticed that even lifting weights while working out I can only lift like 2 lbs on left side without it hurting my shoulder and can lift up to 15 with the right. So carrying that bag must have really pulled the muscles. Now I'm watching where I got my flu shot on the right arm. I got it yesterday and it's still red around it and itching. I've been taking benadryl for it and will go see the nurse at school who gave it to me on Monday if it's still red. Don't want to got to er for somethig so small.

hutchibk
11-04-2007, 04:12 PM
I think it is now more widely recognized that we can go through bouts or mild stages of lymphedema... especially when we overdo with the affected arm. I went through a bout last December and January with an achy, yet not swollen arm. I sought out a Lymphedema and Wound specialty doctor who sent me to a lymph massage PT as Sheila mentioned, and I learned soooooo much from them. For instance, steer clear of high sodium diet, as it can cause you to retain fluids, contributing to your lymphedema risk... also, try not to sleep on your surgery side. It can draw fluids to that arm and torso side, and cause fluid to collect as well. Be careful! Carrying something too heavy can compromise the arm and cause a bout of it or even trigger the undesired "bigger things to come" type.

LAURIE
11-04-2007, 06:47 PM
From someone who suffers from lymphedema, please be careful. I would wish this on no one. I can't believe I am saying this but, I almost wish I had a cancerous node left to help me out. I have tried everything to help my lymphedema. It has really become debilitating. At this point I may even have to change my career. The sad thing is that I don't know how to tell you to avoid it. I did nothing wrong and I still got it and it keeps on getting worse. I can barely move my fingers now without a glove and my forearm is 4 inches bigger than my right arm. The only thing I can possibly think of that made me get it was a heating pad I slept with one night. I have tried MLD (2 different therapists), a lymphpress, juzo gloves and sleeves, reid sleeve, and of course exercises. I am now experimenting with supplements.