PDA

View Full Version : New Here - Starting Herceptin next week

Susan66
10-30-2007, 10:44 AM
Hi All...been lurking on this board for many months and am amazed at the knowledgeable members.

I'm starting Herceptin next week...little scared for some reason. Completed 4 A/C (no taxol as at that time onc said Herceptin is the magic bullet and would be too toxic for me). Oh well, what's done is done. Will also finish radiation next week and start tamoxifen. If periods return (I'm 41, will do ovarian supression). Is my understanding correct that A.I.'s are better for the triple positives? I'm planning on discussion that with the onc more on Friday.

I'm just nervous about the herceptin as A/C was extremely hard on me. I understand this is not chemo but still nervous about this 4 hour infusion.

Any input or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Susan

lilyecuadorian
10-30-2007, 10:49 AM
WELCOME to the gang of fighters ...herceptin is like Kate sister describe once : like "walk in the park" compare to the old quimo ..God be with you in your infucion day ...oh and is only the first time that take a little bit longer ...normally took only 30 minutes ...

Sheila
10-30-2007, 12:48 PM
Susan
I have been on Herceptin for 4 years now, and it has been a godsend. My first infusion made me nervous, it lasted 2 hours, but I had only a little achiness like before the flu...after that, I went every 3 weeks, and received it in 30 minutes with no problem. I dorve myself to and from (175 miles round trip). Belive me, after AC, Herceptin will be a walk in the park....it is normal for yuou to be nervous, we all were, but you will find Herceptin is a breeze for most of us!

lexigirl
10-30-2007, 12:54 PM
Hey Susan,

Welcome! Of course I am sorry that you have to join us at all, but herceptin is really a terrific drug! The infusions are so much less toxic on the veins than the a/c. You will most likely receive a pre-med of benadryl and some tylenol. I was very sleepy after my herceptin appts. I would pretty much go home and sleep til the next morning. I never had to horrible of side effects, a bit of a runny nose, slight headache, and some loose stools for a few days after tx. I guess that all doesn't sound really great. But it is sooo much more tolerable than the chemo.

Prayers for easy txs and complete healing to your body. You have made it through the tough stuff. Yahoo for you!!

Hugs,
Lexi

Patrice
10-30-2007, 01:06 PM
Hi Susan,

A/C was also very hard on me, but Herceptin was a breeze (even the first infusion). I had it weekly for a year, with each infusion lasting no more than an hour. I did get the side effects of crusty nose and some aches and pains (not sure whether Armidex or Femara caused the pain) - the nose problems disappeared within a few months after I stopped the Herceptin. I also went through treatment with 3 other women and we all had similar experiences with Herceptin. With this said, though, I know everyone is different and the anxiety leading up to not knowing how you'll respond in particular is so very hard.

Sending positive thoughts your way that you'll find this to be a breeze as well. Let us know how you do.

Take care,
Patrice

tousled1
10-30-2007, 04:59 PM
Susan,

Relax! Your first Herceptin infusion should only take about 90 minutes and after that it's usually only 30-45 minutes. I had A/C and had a hard time with it as well. Compared to A/C Herceptin will be a walk in the park. Problems I have with Herceptin is constant runny nose and some joint/bone pain. Most important thing is to make sure that your oncologist orders either a MUGA scan or echocardiogram every 3 months as Herceptin can affect your LVEF.

Mary Jo
10-30-2007, 05:05 PM
Welcome Susan,

I'm glad you joined in the message boards. You will find many, many here are so knowledgable and that will bring you comfort and peace many times.

I think you will handle herceptin just fine. It really is a fairly easy drug and is tolerated by most quite well.

I pray all goes well for you Susan and once again, it's nice to have you as part of our her2support group.

Mary Jo

sassy
10-30-2007, 05:53 PM
Hey Susan,

Herceptin will be much easier than your previous treatment. Like others reported, I had a few side effects, but considering the benefit, they were minor indeed.

I am also triple positive and have been on Lupron for ovarian suppresion for almost two years, as well as Arimidex for the same lenght of time.

You will find many here who will offer support and a wealth of knowledge.

My best to you,

Susan66
11-01-2007, 10:49 AM
Thanks everyone for your responses...I look forward to getting to know everyone.

Sassy, I have to laugh because that is what I named my wig. It's just a sassy "do" to me!

Hugs, Susan

dhealey
11-01-2007, 03:29 PM
I too had a hard time with the A/C treatment. Herceptin is a walk in the park. I will finish up my year end of December. My infusions last about a hour, they give me IV benadryl for 30 minutes first. I am able to drive home, but then I sleep for several hours. Side effect of the benadryl. Best of luck!

sassy
11-01-2007, 10:54 PM
Susan,

Get as "sassy" as you can, wig or no wig!

Sassy is actually my cat--or should I say cats. Sassy I, a beautiful calico who I swear was almost human, was with us for 20 years. When she died, my boys insisted we had to get another calico and she must be named Sassy also. So now we have Sassy II, who has been with us for 5 years.

I guess maybe I get sassy at times--we all should!