PDA

View Full Version : Thyroid problems

Alice
10-28-2007, 02:28 PM
Hi there ,
I am just looking for some information. I was wondering what if any the symptoms of thyroid mets were? I have this restriction in my throat and am concerned that it could be swelling due to mets? Any info would be helpful.
Thanks, Alice

Margerie
10-28-2007, 02:43 PM
Hi Alice,

I am pretty sure bc thyroid mets are rare, but thyroid nodules are not. I had a goiter (thyroid nodules) found on ct scan for rads. My rad onc could feel my thyroid was a little enlarged. I hadn't noticed any symptoms.

My ent said thyroid issues are very common in women over 30 and some studies show bc women have more than their fair share. Have you had a thyroid u/s? That was the next step for me. Hoping it is one of the many benign thyroid conditions or just a little virus!

Alice
10-28-2007, 06:44 PM
Thanks for your responce Margerie,
I have not gone to my onc yet. My next scheduled apt will be in January. The only symptom that I have is the thickening feeling in my neck and restriction. I guess the best way of describing it is as though someone is pressing on my throat near my collar bone. I don't want to be reactionary but I do know 2 people that have had bc spread to the thyroid. I think the first step if this continues, is to have a blood panel for thyroid levels done.
Alice

Margerie
10-29-2007, 07:36 AM
Hi Alice-

Sorry to hear about your discomfort- that doesn't sound like fun. I think if your doc feels any sort of mass, he/she will probably want an u/s along with a thyroid panel blood test. I had multi-nodular goiter and a perfectly functioning thyroid.

mts
10-29-2007, 09:26 AM
Hmmm... A month ago I had posted to this board with similar symptoms. I was very concerned about having mets to the nodes in the supraclavicular area which are very near the thyroid lobes. I could palpate a lump just above and to the left of the "v" of my clavicle...
Anyway, I had a CT of the neck performed and nothing showed up in the area of concern. Although two tiny cyst like lesions were seen on the opposite side of the neck. It turns out that over 50% of the population (especially women) get little cysts on their thyroid over their lifetime (with most of them over age 40). I also have several small lipomas growing on opposite sides of my abdomen. The lump in my clavicle area is also a little lipoma. Totally benign.
Like you, I was very worried about the lump- I immediatley told my onc who ordered the CT.
Sheila, who posts regularly felt something in her neck that a needle biposy could not confirm. She then had a surgical biopsy which came back positive for mets. Not in the thyroid but in the nodes.
Having cancer makes us more aware of the little things that perhaps have been there all along- either way, there is nothing like peace of mind. Go get it checked out !

Maria

JEANB
10-31-2007, 01:23 PM
Alice, I have thyroid mets. I had no symptoms, it showed up on a routine Pet Scan. I was told it is extremly rare and my doctors had them re-run the biopsy to confirm. It is my same breast cancer spread to my thyroid... among all the other places.
You said you have a pressing feeling near your collar bone. That sounds more like a lymph node since the thyroid is higher up by your adams apple.

Hope it's nothing for you.

kristen
11-01-2007, 10:04 AM
Hi Alice,
If this posts twice I am sorry. I was previewing it and all of a sudden it was gone....
I am going thru the same thing right now. They found a cyst on an MRI and that led to blood work, all normal to a sonogram. I had my apt. with an Endocrinologist today and we are going to biopsy it. On the sonogram it said it was hypervascular and hypoechoic, which a doc told me means no sound waves bounced off it. They now call it a mass over 1 cm. To answer your question, yes shortness of breath is a sign to have it checked out, but not necessarily cancer. When I called my onc. she said it's probably nothing, but it has to be checked out by someone else. My internist who found this sent me to an Endo. I think some have mentioned goiters that can do the same thing. A website on the pamphlet he gave me is www.thyca.org (http://www.thyca.org) It might have some information for you.
He told me that only 5% have BC migrate to the thyroid so it is very rare. 80% of the time it is benign. I asked him specifically is that 80% with the hypervascular etc and he said yes. So here is hoping that both of us are benign. My best to you.

tdonnelly
11-01-2007, 05:05 PM
In 1992 I had a partial thyroidectomy; I had 3 nodules with Hurtle cells (cancer cells) no radiation or chemo was suggested. In 2006 I was dx with Invasive Ductal Carcinoma. My first thought was the thyroid cancer cells spread to my breast. My Intern was not sure. Halfway through chemo I noticed brown spotting on the thyroid scar. I have the same brown spotting of the skin on my ankles and my left wrist. I suspect poor circulation. Its hard to hold neck up for long periods of time at the computer without support. Also the chemo has played havoc with my TSH levels, my thyroid meds have had to be changed four times this past year. Still not balanced. How much research is known about Thyroid disease and the use of Herceptin? Anyone understand what this brown spotting on the skin is ?

Grace
11-28-2007, 06:21 PM
Diagnosed with underactive thyroid in 2000 but it's been well under control with medication until recently. My TSH has been going up since July, and my doctor increased my medication twice already. I just had TSH checked on Friday and it's up again. Anyone else have this problem while on herceptin or immediately afterward. I had a scan of thyroid and no tumors found, so I'm hard put to understand why the numbers are increasing despite a higher dose of synthroid. Any thoughts would be appreciated.