PDA

View Full Version : radiation question - how was it set up for you?

Donna
10-25-2007, 09:34 AM
Hello again amazing group,

I was just wondering - when my mother had radiation years ago and then when I did earlier this year, a mold was made of our upper body to ensure that we would be in the same position each time. When my mother in law had hers 2 yrs. ago and now my cousin who is currently going through treatment, neither had a mold made - just laid on the table in the same position. Just wondering why some do this and some do not - seems more likely to be precise with a mold.

thanks - have a great day!

Donna

Grace
10-25-2007, 09:39 AM
In my center, they place tattoos in strategic places where the beam is directed. In this way, the techs know if you are in the correct position each time.

Donna
10-25-2007, 09:57 AM
Hi Grace,

Yep, my mother and I still got the tatoos as did my mother in law and cousin - but we still had the mold.

Donna

Mgarr
10-25-2007, 10:50 AM
Tattoos and molds.

jones7676
10-25-2007, 10:54 AM
I had only tatoos for my bone met. For my stereotactic to my brain I had a full blown halo screwed into my head. No molds so far.

KRISS
10-25-2007, 11:14 AM
I had both molds and tats

MJo
10-25-2007, 11:20 AM
Tatoos and molds at Helen Graham Cancer Center in Wilmington, Del.

Jean
10-25-2007, 02:56 PM
I had both, tatoos and mold.

Jean

PatS
10-25-2007, 03:15 PM
I just had tattoos....no mold.

Pat

Brenda_D
10-25-2007, 03:35 PM
Mold, no tattoos. I was marked and remarked daily.
Lumpectomy.

dlaxague
10-25-2007, 04:15 PM
I can't tell from the replies to this post if it's true or not, but I've assumed that molds were for those with breasts. I got rads at a local cancer center, no mold, post mastectomy. I know of others who had molds at the same center but they'd had lumpectomies. It could also be to do with amount of tissue available to shift about, on the chest - whether breasts or just generous amounts of tissue. I assumed, but never confirmed, that once my tattoos were lined up properly, there wasn't much to move and that's why no mold for me. If I'd had breasts, they could have shifted with the smallest movement or simply with muscle tightening. But now I'm curious to know if that was correct reasoning.

Debbie Laxague

PatS
10-25-2007, 04:52 PM
That's interesting Debbie.

Like I said above I just had tattoos but I didn't have a breast.....just an expander, which didn't move or shift.

Pat

kcherub
10-25-2007, 07:50 PM
I went for my radiation consult on Wednesday, and they just marked me. There were black lines, that I washed off. There are also about 6 pink dots with circular outlines on them, that I was told to NOT wash off. She said I could let the soap run down while I shower, but not to scrub. They are already a little faded (from wearing clothes, I think), so I hope they are going to touch them up when needed. I don't go back until next Thursday, and I just don't see how they are not going to be totally gone by then.

They said I didn't have to get the tattoos if I didn't want to, and I did see some molds in the room. I wondered what those were for! I wonder if I have a mold made if I have to keep the pink dots?!? Oooo, this is all such a pain in the butkas!

Love to all,

Bev
10-25-2007, 08:27 PM
Lumpy with tats only. They also utilized that high tech tool often, I think they call it a sharpie marker. Nice to know they're moving away from tats, I still like to wear tank tops. Now if they were brown instead of blue they might look like a beauty mark, Bev

Vanessa
10-25-2007, 09:13 PM
I just got through with whole brain radiation, which I am sure has its differences. I had a mesh mold and tatoos on the mold.

sassy
10-25-2007, 09:47 PM
Just had tats, but had no breast.

Mary Jo
10-26-2007, 04:52 AM
Tattoos (and not the pink ribbon on my foot either http://www.her2support.org/vbulletin/images/icons/icon7.gif) and no mold.

Mary Jo