PDA

View Full Version : Update After Visit To Onc.

IRENE FROM TAMPA
10-23-2007, 08:02 PM
Hi everyone -

Hope everyone is well. I just returned from the Susan G. Komen 3-day in our area this week-end so have not had much time to read all of the post to see how everyone is doing. Hope to catch up this week-end.

Had and awesome experience again this year at the 3-day. Words can not explain the feeling that you walk away with.
I walked last year but this year due to the side effects I was having from the Xeloda, I could not commit to walking so I worked on the crew at the camp site. My group was on the Food Service crew and we had a blast.
Friday was extremely humid and hot and they had to evacuate the whole camp due to approaching severe weather that evening. They put us up on the 6th floor of a parking garage in downtown St. Petersburg. We all slept on concrete and arose at 3:30 a.m to go back to camp and start serving the walkers starting at 5 a.m. I am very experienced in setting up and taking down tents now, sleeping on concrete floors, getting a few hours of sleep, showering in a huge van, NOT flushing toilets, but at the end of the day - looking at the smiles on so many faces and hearing the thank you's from so many voices made it all so very worth it.

I had a blast and the most important part is that 5 million $$$ was raised Tampa. Hope to be able to repeat this again next year.

Just came from follow up visit with my onc after 3 cycles of Tykerb/Avastin. My tumor markers have gone down-hallelulla
CEA - from 14.5 to 9
27-29 - from 38 to 30

I was very nervous since I was not sure how I would respond to this combo but so far so good. I will have my 4th cycle this Friday. He did have to start me on a blood pressure med. since I have been experiencing higher counts since I began on the Avastin.

He also mentioned to me the approval of the new drug IXABEPILONE (IXEMPRA). We have another drug ladies. This is wonderful and that is why I am so happy that I was able to participate in the 3-day walk again this year.

Well I am falling asleep as I am typing so I had better head to bed.

Everyone stay strong & faithful - there is lots coming our way....

Faith in Him
10-23-2007, 08:22 PM
Wow - I feel so uplifted and encouraged by your post. Thanks for sharing with us. I'm just curious as to how much of that money goes to research. I hope lots of it!!

lilyecuadorian
10-23-2007, 08:24 PM
OH My Dear Irene ...I'm so happy for you ...buena noticia hermana ...I' always thinking about you ...you know that We have to paint our face's with hope colors knowing that we can ..open all windows, change the air,...take out all those fears ...depend of us and thinking about the future with our hearts ....

chrisy
10-24-2007, 12:34 PM
OK, am I seeing double or is this thread posted twice? Any way, I'm doubly glad to hear you got good news on the T/A. Hopefully that will be a good combo for you for a long time. I'm still chugging away, 6 months now, with stable disease on the same treatment.