PDA

View Full Version : Pill counting aid

BearMan52
10-23-2007, 06:59 PM
Hey gang,
My wife is currently on Tykerb and Xeloda, which of course means a lot of pills. I got tired of counting and fingering and dropping and miscounting the pills into our little pill boxes, so I asked our local pharmacy for a pill counting tray...that's been the best help in this entire recurrence journey! It helps eliminate some of the little frustrations which can become big frustrations. Seems like the drug companies could help us out by including these in their monster orientation packets. Anyway, if you're experiencing similar pill-counting frustrations, you can probably get a freebie tray from your pharmacist. Maybe people have been donig this all along but in all my thread reading I haven't seen it mentioned...thought I'd pass it along.

Hope all are well...these threads are a huge help!!
Barry
Caregiver husband

hutchibk
10-23-2007, 11:54 PM
I hadn't thought of that, but it is a great idea! Thanks!

BearMan52
10-24-2007, 01:25 PM
Thanks for your words Brenda. I love your posts, and I'm banking on the Ty/Xel magic in your signature. Dana was dx first round in 1999, bi-lat masct, 2 nodes microspic, Taxol/Adria/Cytoxan. Dx with recurrence in Aug 2006 with bone mets and a couple node areas. Had 60% regression after first round of Taxol/Carbo/Hercp...later switched to Navelbine/Hercep...worked well for a few months but then some progression...now Ty/Xel...we're navigating it pretty well. Tumor markers have dipped to normal range. Thanks!
Barry

Sheila
10-24-2007, 02:20 PM
Barry
I used the day of the week pill containers when I was on Xeloda for a year....at least I knew if I had taken them or not...with all the pill popping, you sometimes really don't remember .....I had one marked week 1 and one marked week 2....it saved a few gray hairs!

BearMan52
10-24-2007, 07:32 PM
yep, those day-of-the-week pill containers are a life saver...and that's a great idea to number the weeks!

madubois63
10-25-2007, 05:51 AM
Here's another suggestion...a pill cutter. My onc prescribes a double dose of some of my meds, and I cut them in half - saving me a co-pay...

BearMan52
10-25-2007, 08:17 AM
hmmm...now that's a great idea too! Thanks!

Sheila
10-25-2007, 12:55 PM
I do believe we all have the qualifications to be pharmacists...with all our pill knowledge and ways to make life easy!

BearMan52
10-25-2007, 02:23 PM
so true; I actually taught a drug rep a few things last week! Maybe we should launch "wiki-pharmacy"!