PDA

View Full Version : New to Tykerb/Xeloda

Stephanie B.
10-23-2007, 12:03 PM
Hi there

I just found out yesterday that I have new liver mets after months of shrinking. My onc has taken me off of herceptin/taxol and is now going to put me on Tykerb/Xeloda. He did tell me that my hair should start to come back and that the constipation should go away and I would probably get the diaherra and would have skin issues. Can anyone give me an idea of what else to expect. I guess a plus to all of this is that I don't have to be a "human pin cushion" every week anymore!

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Stephanie B.

chrisy
10-23-2007, 01:07 PM
Hi Stephanie,
I saw your post on the main forum, and there's a lot to say for a reprieve from being a human pincushion.

I'm on Tykerb/Avastin, so don't have the same side effect profile as Tykerb/Xeloda, but I have a little bit of input - read through some of the posts, there is a lot of info.

With this, you will get hair back again. Tykerb has to be taken on empty stomach, Xeloda with food. So you will have a busy schedule keeping track.

Tykerb side effects are mainly diarreah (someone named it "pooterookies"), which people have been able to manage with Immodium and with dietary adjustments. Brenda swears by the BRAT (bananas, rice, applesauce and toast/tea) diet, and you may want to stay away from milk products.

That said, I've had some bouts of this, but it hasn't been every day and has responded well (thank goodness) to immodium when needed.

The other Tykerb side effect is many people get some sort of rash, usually acne-like. There's lots of discussion on various remedies for this.

Xeloda's worst side effect seems to be hand/foot syndrome, which causes painful skin problems. Again, lots of discussion on what to do to combat that.

All in all, it seems to be easier to take than what you've been on. I've found Tykerb is easier on the heart than Herceptin and my LVEF has improved.

The most important thing, tho, is that people have had great results!

Keep us posted