PDA

View Full Version : Ok, Now I'm scared..................

Mary Jo
10-22-2007, 03:02 PM
Last week Wednesday I had a colonoscopy. Four polyps were found and 1 gave my doctor trouble coming off - caused bleedings and clips needed to be placed in that area to stop the bleeding. She told me to make an appointment for the results. Appointment is scheduled for next week Monday after.

This afternoon I'm out taking my walk and who calls and leaves a message but Dr. Venkateson from Froedtert. The GI doctor who did my colonoscopy. She left a message saying that she was calling with the results of my biopsy and if I'd call the clinic she'd be happy to discuss them with me. What is she calling for? She told me she was sure the "polyps" were just that, polyps, and there would be no cancer. Now I am petrified that cancer was found and that's why she called.

Of course, I've called back and no one is their. Dr. "V" "isn't in clinic today" and the PA and nurse were left messages from me but I have not heard anything yet.

Oh guys, tell me it couldn't be..............................Don't these doctors realize that leaving messages like this cause MAJOR AMOUNTS OF STRESS AND ANXIETY for us.

Well, I'll keep waiting (like I have any choice) and pray for good results.

Mary Jo

Margerie
10-22-2007, 03:10 PM
Be optimistic- maybe she wanted to give you the good news early!! I guess they just don't know how the waiting game is horrible!!

Thinking of you and breathe.... best of luck for some plain ol' polyps!

DonnaD
10-22-2007, 03:17 PM
Mary Jo,
I am so sorry you must go through this. I like Margerie think the explanation is good news early. Keep the faith dear friend. I know it is easy to say but much harder to do. Saying a special prayer for you right now.
Donna

Lani
10-22-2007, 03:23 PM
from what I understood of the protocols(which existed pre HMOs), Drs. usually only discussed negative results or results that may not be anything or need additional studies or repeats to determine if they are abnormal by phone.

Usually they discussed positive findings in person.

Now that they are not reimbursed extra for extra visits or for taking extra time, who knows???

I still think any doctor worth their salt would look you in the eye before telling you anything bad.

Try not to let your imagination carry you away.

chrisy
10-22-2007, 03:27 PM
OK MaryJo, breathe. Breathe again.

It's so hard for us ever, now, to not think the worst - isn't it?

They always biopsy the polyps, and the results come back with various degrees along the scale from nothing to worry about to this is cancerous. There are different types of polyps. My husband and I got "different" results from each other, the end result was he had to go for a follow up in 3 years, I had to go in 5 years. His 3 year follow up, by the way, was totally clear.

Try not to panic. Stick with what you KNOW. Easier said than done, I know.

Faith in Him
10-22-2007, 03:31 PM
Oh, Mary Jo, I know its hard but I have to believe that if it was bad news, the dr would bring you in to tell you. I'm praying right now that you will have peace over this matter until you hear from them.

Philippians 4:13

Sheila
10-22-2007, 03:50 PM
Marejo
I have to agree that it is a call to confirm what you were already told....I am sure the Dr. knew you were anxious about getting the official word....if it was bad, they would have told you to come in to the office. Sending you a big hug and a prayer tucked inside!

Becky
10-22-2007, 04:04 PM
I think everything is fine too. I got my usual uterine scan a day or two after my yearly pap (this past July). Got a call and thought the worst about the scan (as my uterus was thick once before - when I still had ovaries). It was that the pap revealed yeast - did I have symptoms, did I need a prescription?

I did "cuss" them out nicely saying I was a cancer survivor already and they told me the same as Lani did - if there was something, we would have you come in.

She just wanted to confirm this with you (and maybe make sure you're doing ok since you bled too)

lexigirl
10-22-2007, 04:05 PM
HI MareJO,

I am sorry that you are feeling anxious. Dumb message! I have a feeling that everything is a-okay. Hang in there.

HUgs and Prayers,
Lexi

kareneg
10-22-2007, 04:16 PM
Hi,

I am praying that everything is ok, god they make us so nervous!

Grace
10-22-2007, 04:40 PM
Mary Jo,

Chrisy may have identified the problem. My husband had pre-cancerous polyps and got a call to that effect and that he needed to be tested in two years and if everything was ok in two years, he could go for three years, and then five years. Mine were not pre-cancerous so I never even got a call beyond consultation immediately after test. Doctors who do this all the time have a very good sense of when a polyp is cancerous, but are not so great at identifying those that are pre-cancerous. Those require a telephone call.

I think you're fine, so please don't worry.

dhealey
10-22-2007, 05:03 PM
Praying everything is fine. The waiting is the worst.

KRISS
10-22-2007, 05:22 PM
Oh Mary Jo here we go with the waiting game. I have to agree with everyone else. It has to be good news. I will say a special prayer for you and mostly so you get some sleep tonight. Try to be positive and dream of wonderful things, Kriss

caya
10-22-2007, 05:46 PM
Mary Jo,

Adding my two cents worth that the doctor would not give you bad results over the phone...
Keep us posted.

all the best
caya

Jean
10-22-2007, 06:56 PM
Oh Mary Jo
Not fair at all, I am so sorry that you must endure more waiting.
Hang in - just think this way - the day of the test the dr. did not
see anything that was of conern. They have seen so much that
they can tell while removing if something is suspect. So all that
is in your favor. Think Positive thoughts, (yes that is hard to do)

Sending you a big hug and huge prayer that all goes well.
Jean

tousled1
10-23-2007, 04:53 AM
MareJo,

I'm sure the doctor is just calling to put your mind at ease. That is to tell you that the path report is back and everything is fine. If it were bad news I'm sure the doctor would have you come into his office.

Believe51
10-23-2007, 04:59 AM
You are in my deepest thoughts and prayers. I am right on the same page as the girls, hang in there and try to push away the "what if's" and think positive. That is a job it its own right. Sending love, hope and faith your way my Extraordinary Friend,>Believe51

Mary Anne in TX
10-23-2007, 07:06 AM
Pop that habit on and do a "It will only be good" prayer for YOU! I'll be thinking good news delivered fast!!! ma