PDA

View Full Version : update and question

Joy
10-22-2007, 08:21 AM
Hi EVERYONE!!!

I haven't posted in a while, just keeping very busy. But, I am praying for all of you and extra hard for those who have requested the help. My thoughts are with all you and your families and I'm so thankful we have this safe and warm place to communicate.

The only tests I have had recently since scans are blood chemistries and they look great, I'm happy to say.

My good friend Sarah has been staying with me again and I love it. She is in NYC having fun with other friends right now-LUCKY!!!

I have been on a few dates and that is mediocre, but it makes for good stories.

My question is this: I have fortunatley never had any lymphedema issues despite having 18 nodes removed 7 years ago and I was wondering if there is any chance of developing it after so long. It seems that the fact that all my nodes were negative that that works in my favor. However this morning I got caught in the crossfire between 2 of my sisters' dogs who decided to fight. My intellect told me to throw water on them, but my instinct won out and I tried to wrestle them apart and got bit on the right hand (axillary node removal side).

I think the wound will be okay and I've done a lot of cleansing and will put ointment on them. I am already on minocycline for Tykerb skin stuff. They recommend Augmentin, but I'm allergic to penicillan anyway. Doxycycline is the other recommendation, but it seems that often Mino and Doxy can be used interchangeably.

My fear is that lymphedema could happen. So far there is very minimal swelling just around the fleshy part of my hand where one wound is. It is sore, but it would be for anyone.

Sooo, do any of you know what the odds are of developing lymphedema after 7 years with no other incidences when a wound has occurred?

Thanks for any input and much love to every single one of you!!!!

nitewind
10-22-2007, 08:26 AM
Hi Joy,
Sorry I can't help you with your question but I'm sure you'll get some answers fast. I know what you meant about instinct with the dogs, I've gotten between a couple myself.
Hopefully, everything will be fine, just keep a close eye on it.
Hugs

Becky
10-22-2007, 08:57 AM
Lymphedema can occur at any time. I would get a Zpak (zithromycin) - this is the 6 tablet pak where you take 2 at one time the first day and then one pill every day for the next 4 days. It has a long half life and lasts 10 days. Keep the wound clean and keep your arm elevated when you're just sitting around (lay on the couch and up arm up on the back and squeeze your hand 10 times every so often or squeeze a stress ball).

We have to be cognizant of our affected side for the rest of our lives.

DonnaD
10-22-2007, 09:52 AM
Hi Joy,
I am sorry you are in this spot. I just had this conversation with my surgeon and onc (we meet as a team) the beginning of Oct. Both said lymphedema can happen anytime and we need to careful of this forever.

Don't know what to tell you about the meds but sounds like Becky has some good advice.

Take care.
Donna

tousled1
10-22-2007, 12:01 PM
Unfortunately you can develop lymphedema at any time -- even years down the road. Take Becky's advise and get a zpak

Jean
10-22-2007, 12:03 PM
Joy,
We are major dog lovers at my house. Had this same problem with two
of my darlings (they were naughty) and my husband and I did exactly
what you did..very wrong...we know better. Found out (we were both
bitten) that dog bites are very serious. You must see a hand doctor
and have it checked even while you are on anit meds. This could become a serious infection as it is just an old wives tale about dogs saliva being
a healing agent, not so, many think that since dogs lick themselves and heal their wounds, when a dog bites us it is serious. Swelling is not a good sign. Please have it checked....and let us know how you are.
Also another good agent in case you can't get to water is a blanket to throw over them. We didn't do either...but
know better for next time.

It's a good thing we love them.
Kind Regards,
Jean

Sheila
10-22-2007, 02:30 PM
Joy
I have to agree with Becky...dog bites can be dangerous to anyone...get on an antibiotic, a strong one like Zithromax, or Clindomycin, or Augmentin..., and get your butt to the Dr for a tetanus shot....when I got poked in the arm with a dirty wire (*at a store no less), I was given Bactroban Cream, Augmentin ( a wide spectrum antiobiotic) and a tetanus shot...all to prevent infection and lymphedema.
PS

TAKE ALL THE ANTIBIOTIC>>>no skipping!!!!!!