PDA

View Full Version : Bone Scan and Herceptin???

DonnaD
10-20-2007, 07:49 PM
I am scheduled for a bone scan this week because of rib pain. What is the difference between a bone scan and an MRI of the chest?

Next question, my Dr said to get the injection for the bone scan and while waiting for the test go have my Herceptin. Has anyone done both on the same day?

Sheila
10-21-2007, 05:29 AM
Donna
I have...and we both go to the same place. The bone scan, they will inject radioactive dye into a vein usually at the elbow....it can burn a tiny bit. Then you must wait about 4 hours before the scan is done so the dye infiltrates the body...thats when I would go get my coffee, some soup and my Herceptin, then return to bone scan and it takes about an hour of laying down while the scan machine goes over you....you are in the open, unlike the MRI which is closed. Also, the bone scan is located in the "old" part of the hospital down in the basement by the Emergency Room. When you leave the atrium, instead of turning to the left for the Medical Center, you go right ( a pretty good walk) and then take the elevator downstairs. I believe you have to go to registration beforehand also, which is also on 4 by the atrium.
Good Luck with the scan...mine showed a fractured rib when I had rib pain.

KellyA
10-21-2007, 05:35 AM
Hi Donna,

I have had both done on the same day. I had a three hour break inbetween injecting the dye and coming back for the actual scan and my Herceptin appt. fit in very nicely. There weren't any problems.

Love, Kelly