PDA

View Full Version : Make time for a glass of Milk...

Jean
10-18-2007, 11:54 AM
interesting article...
milk and Vit. D

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/84405.php

Jean

Mary Jo
10-18-2007, 01:50 PM
Interesting Jean. Thanks for sharing.

Mary Jo

BonnieR
10-18-2007, 02:34 PM
I just made time for a glass of milk AND chocolate cake!

Jean
10-18-2007, 02:53 PM
mmmm and yummy dsounds good Bonnie,
I should have thought of that.

Jean

Mary Jo
10-18-2007, 04:00 PM
Bonnie - you go girl.http://www.her2support.org/vbulletin/images/icons/icon7.gif

Mary Jo

vickie h
10-27-2007, 04:49 PM
Milk contains vitamin D2, a toxic form of D which is no help in utilizing the calcium contained in milk or dairy products. Vitamin D3 is the kind of D being talked about and researched in Breast and prostate cancer prevention. Milk is also full of hormones, pesticides, and can be very mucous causing. We consume more milk in this country than most, and yet our rates of osteoporosis and cancer are astounding. Just some food for thought and something to research even more. Love and peace, Vickie

vickie h
10-27-2007, 04:50 PM
Milk contains vitamin D2, a toxic form of D which is no help in utilizing the calcium contained in milk or dairy products. Vitamin D3 is the kind of D being talked about and researched in Breast and prostate cancer prevention. Milk is also full of hormones, pesticides, and can be very mucous causing. We consume more milk in this country than most, and yet our rates of osteoporosis and cancer are astounding. Just some food for thought and something to research even more. Love and peace, Vickie

Jean
10-27-2007, 06:37 PM
Vickie,
I have been buying organic milk and yogurt, (fat free) I would think this is safe?

Jean

harrie
10-27-2007, 07:59 PM
My oncologist has me on 2000 IU of Vit D. I take a combination of D3 and the rest of the D is found in my calcium and multivit.
He gave me an article saying researchers have found that raising vit D levels may prevent up to half of all breast and 2/3s of colorectal cancer cases in the US based on the results of 2 separate studies.
Maryanne

Becky
10-27-2007, 08:03 PM
D2 - ergocaliferol is not toxic and is the form that is found in food (natural food as well as fortified food). D3 is cholecaliferol is the D that is made by the skin when exposed to sunlight. Both forms are converted by the liver to D25 which still isn't an active form in the body. The body goes through many gyrations to get to the final molecule that is used to make strong bones and of course, the anti cancer properties etc. D3 is more easily converted by the liver than the D2 form. As we age, the ability to be able to convert D2 may be limited although the ability to convert either diminishes.

The amount of D2 in a glass of milk is only 50iu (with the RDA of D still only being 200iu). The reason osteoporesis is high even though we drink milk is clear - we do not get enough D (regardless of the form) and not because D2 is toxic as it is definitely not but this form needs more processing. Also, recommendations need to change so that we supplement 1000 -2000 iu during the winter months for those that live in the North. In the summer months, exposing the arms and legs 20 minutes every other day (with no sunscreen) will allow the body to make plenty of Vitamin D (5000iu+ if using this method).

Please ensure your facts are right when posting information.

lilyecuadorian
10-27-2007, 08:41 PM
THANKS BECKY for the explanation ...I'm always thinking about you when I take the sun (20 minutes) or I take when I'm driving but only one arm and one leg dont know if that is enough because you said on one of the post that we need a least 40% of the body exposure ????

Jean
10-27-2007, 09:21 PM
Thank you so much for your detailed explanation. I could not understand
how milk and Vit. D could be harmful? I do use organic products and produce as much as possible to avoid chemicals and hormons. I also take
1,000 IU of vit D...and expose myself to the sun a few times a week.
Don't know how much I obtain during winter months...since just my face
would be exposed. I am doing the best I can - just like everyone else.

Always appreciate your posting!
Hugs to you!
Jean

vickie h
10-29-2007, 05:39 PM
Thanks for your reply, Becky, but after calling my Dr. and asking him about vitamin D2 (as found in milk) he agreed that D2 can be toxic and has been in many cases. He prescribes D3 only and says that those interested in learning more about the effects of dairy and breast cancer might want to do alot of research. Milksucks.com has some interesting info and other websites listed that are easily accessed. "Facts" seem to change and are guided by the "fact" finders interests. Hope your day is going well Vickie

Becky
10-29-2007, 06:49 PM
Vickie

You are correct that overdoses of D2 are more toxic than overdoses of D3 even though D3 is more effective and more easily used by the body (most likely because this is the form that the skin produces from sunshine). However, in supplemental doses up to 10,000iu, D3 is shown to stay in the body much, much longer than D2 which is more quickly eliminated. It is difficult to overdose on D2 as you would need to take over 20,000iu per day everyday. This would equal 50 400iu tablets (the common dosage in a supplemental by itself tablet).

D2 is the only way for vegetarians or vegans to supplement Vitamin D without the sun as D3 is synthesized in laboratories starting with lanolin (an oily substance from sheep's wool). In normal eating, normal food supplementation and normal supplement ingestion, D2 is not toxic however, D3 is always preferred. D3 tablets are becoming easier to find but it is difficult to find a multivitamin that has D3 over D2.

In reality, because D3 stays in the body longer, it would actually be easier to OD on D3 (although you would have to really try to OD on Vitamin D in general with as many tablets as you would have to take).

If one is not vegetarian, one should always look for D3 as it is more easily converted to the alcohol form and then the hormonal form in the liver and kidney.

harrie
10-29-2007, 11:55 PM
I picked up D3 (1000 IU) from a health food store and for a multivitamin, GNC makes a Women's Ultra Mega Bone Density multivitamin and in it is 800 IU of Vitamin D (as Cholecalciferol).

Beckie, how much IU of vitamin D do you take daily?

Maryanne

Becky
10-30-2007, 03:02 AM
From October to April I take about 1600iu but I only take 600iu April - October as I expose myself to sunlight then.