PDA

View Full Version : Gemzar + Herceptin...your experience?

jml
10-18-2007, 04:36 AM
Hi Ladies~
Tomorrow I start back on chemo :(
It's been ~2 years since my last treatment.
However, "chemo-time" had been replaced w/surgery time...
Lliver resection - 12/05
then Excisional biopsy of new breast node- 3/06,
then Mastectomy -12/06,
then Reconstruction-Part 1 - 3/07,
& Reconstruction-Part 2 -just 6 weeks ago, 8/07.

My PET scans last week now show 2 supraclavicular nodes lighting up.
BUT, that's it...just 2 nodes. Only 2!
Liver looks clean & fab.
Lung & questionable lung nodules, still elusive & questionable, as per usual.
Bones, A-Ok.

Regardless, we've decided to go ahead & add Gemzar to my Herceptin.

When I was first dx'd, May 2002, already Stage IV w/a single liver met, I did 8 weeks of Navelbine+Herceptin.
Unfortunately, this combo wasn't the right "recipe" for me & the disease advanced from a single met to "innumerable, immeasurable".

Now, I have some apprehension that Gemcitibine may not do the trick since it's the same drug class (?) as Navelbine...

Any wisdom, advice, experience you folks have had w/this combo would be greatly appreciated.

Prayers, Faith & Courage~

Jessica

Carolyns
10-18-2007, 06:53 AM
Hi Jessica,

I have only used Gemzar so far and it was in combination with Herceptin. It pushed the nodes and liver mets back for me. It was very easy for me to continue working full time on this treatment.

Good luck,

Carolyn

Mary Anne in TX
10-18-2007, 07:33 AM
On my treatment plan, we had Gemzar listed as an option of what to use in place of Taxol, Carboplatin, or Navelbine if they were not effective or gave too many side effects. It was to be my "ace in the hole". Now, I have it and Tykerb, Avastin, Zeloda, etc. And I hope they keep problem solving. Best wishes for an easy treatment. ma

Julie2
10-18-2007, 10:06 AM
Hi Jessica,
There is a clinical trial called Trastuzumab-MCC-DM1 (http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=30287). One of our members are participating and looks promising. You can see the details in the following thread.
http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=30287.

Hope this helps.

Julie