PDA

View Full Version : new tykerb dose

sally
10-17-2007, 04:31 PM
I have been taken off tykerb/xeloda for 2 weeks so my system could recover. I'm starting out slowly this time. I am taking 2 tykerb a day and then in a week I will add in the xeloda 2 twice per day. Has anyone ever heard of taking such a low dose and having it work? I'm sure he will up my tykerb as we go along, assuming I am tolerating it o.k. Sally

Becca
10-18-2007, 03:11 PM
Sally, hope you are feeling better. I can't help you much on your question, but have had my xeloda lowered twice. I am to take the tykerb 5 a day if possible, or less if necessary. Occasionally I vomit after taking the tykerb. I also have nausea each day as you do. It is intermittent, so I can eat at times--but nothing ever sounds good. I tried sipping gingerale yesterday and I think it helped me with the nausea. Meds for nausea have not helped much except the ones that make me very sleepy. Yes, your onc will probaby up the dose of Tykerb as you tolerate it. Hope you do better this time on it. Very good news that Brenda has done so well on T/X--hope we do too.

Susan2
10-18-2007, 04:18 PM
Because of side effects, I dropped down to 4 Tykerb and no Xeloda. That has worked well for me. I tried to go back to 5 Tykerb and couldn't handle it.

Good luck and I'm sure you'll find a combo that works for you.

Denise La.
10-19-2007, 12:16 PM
I just started tx myself so im not much help either I was doing great till yesterday then the nausea came im taking zofran it seems to help.
Good Luck

jones7676
10-19-2007, 03:23 PM
I have no personal experience with a lower dose, but have seen info somewhere that a lower dose may be just as effective. I do a lot of research on any treatment that I am on - and I just don't know where I saw it. If that low a dose works, be happy. :-)

Roz
10-30-2007, 07:45 PM
Hi Sally, I hadn't seen your post when I posted requesting advice re doses. Glad to hear that there is someone out there also experimenting with doses. I am off it for a week, then 3 Tykerb + Xeloda. I see my onc to start back on the meds on Monday. I think I will suggest staying off Xeloda for another week and just battle with Tykerb in a reduced form for a week. It makes sense to go slowly when your system has been beaten black and blue.
Regards, Roz

hutchibk
10-30-2007, 08:30 PM
I haven't heard of that type of ramp up, but I like that your doc is being creative to slowly give your body a chance to get used to it.

I started Xeloda for 10 days before I got the Tykerb in the mail and started it... I think that may have helped me tolerate the regimine at the start! :~)

chrisy
10-30-2007, 08:56 PM
Esther, who posts as "luv2ski", got whalloped with the Tykerb side effects when she began it. She pulled way back on the dosage then worked back up. She was a naughty girl and did it on her own without asking her doctor (she's an independent gal!) but has done quite well. So it's definitely worth a try!

Good luck
Chris