PDA

View Full Version : don't throw your milk out yet

Lani
10-16-2007, 09:39 AM
1)haven't been able to access whole article yet
2) unclear what artificial milk is
3) unclear if cows treated with hormones
4) chinese people lack some enzymes to process milk proteins so results may not be applicable to all ethnic groups
5) soymilk apparently may have similar effect

RB--this is apparently not fat related as effect same with nonfat and whole milk

Cancer Detect Prev. 2007 Oct 10; [Epub ahead of print]
Consumption of commercial whole and non-fat milk increases the incidence of 7,12-dimethylbenz(a)anthracene-induced mammary tumors in rats.

Qin LQ, Xu JY, Tezuka H, Li J, Arita J, Hoshi K, Sato A.
Department of Obstetrics & Gynecology, School of Medicine, Yamanashi University, Chuo City, Shimokato 1110, Yamanashi 409-3898, Japan; School of Radiation Medicine & Public Health, Soochow University, Suzhou, China.
Background: Breast cancer has become the most common cancer among women worldwide. Although the consumptions of milk and dairy products were considered to be a risk factor for breast cancer in some epidemiological studies, the results were inconsistent. Methods: In the present study, female Sprague-Dawley rats received a single oral dose of 5mg 7,12-dimethylbenz(a)anthracene (DMBA). One week later, the animals were divided into four groups: whole milk (WM), artificial whole milk (A-WM), non-fat milk (NFM) or artificial non-fat milk (A-NFM) mixed with commercial powder chow. Rats were palpated weekly to monitor tumor development. At week 20 after DMBA administration, rats were decapitated and the volume and weight of mammary tumor were recorded. Results: Tumor incidence, the cumulative number of tumors and the sums of tumor volume were higher in the WM and NFM groups than in the A-WM and A-NFM groups both at palpation and at autopsy. Conclusion: Combining our previous studies, we found the consumption of milk promoted the development of DMBA-induced mammary tumors in rats independent of the fat level.
PMID: 17935906 [PubMed - as supplied by publisher]

Related Links
Low-fat milk promotes the development of 7,12-dimethylbenz(A)anthracene (DMBA)-induced mammary tumors in rats. [Int J Cancer. 2004]
NTP Studies of Magnetic Field Promotion (DMBA Initiation) in Female Sprague-Dawley Rats (Whole-body Exposure/Gavage Studies). [Natl Toxicol Program Tech Rep Ser. 1999]
Exposure of Sprague-Dawley rats to a 50-Hertz, 100-microTesla magnetic field for 27 weeks facilitates mammary tumorigenesis in the 7,12-dimethylbenz[a]-anthracene model of breast cancer. [Cancer Res. 1999]
Commercial soy milk enhances the development of 7,12-dimethylbenz(a)anthracene-induced mammary tumors in rats. [In Vivo. 2007]
Breast cancer risk in rats fed a diet high in n-6 polyunsaturated fatty acids during pregnancy.

fullofbeans
10-16-2007, 01:43 PM
"Conclusion: Combining our previous studies, we found the consumption of milk promoted the development of DMBA-induced mammary tumors in rats independent of the fat level."

vickie h
10-27-2007, 05:09 PM
Amen, Full of Beans! I wouldn't touch those dairy products! Vickie

Grace
10-27-2007, 05:28 PM
LOL, I read that post and thought, Wow I really do have chemo brain! A woman I know in Italy, who had breast cancer a few years back, refuses to eat any kind of diary product. I thought she was a bit excessive, but perhaps not. No more cheese for me!

Bev
10-27-2007, 08:42 PM
I have never been a big milk drinker, but here I am. I think I would need to see raw nimbers on thi one BB