PDA

View Full Version : Taxol benefit limited to Her2 breast cancer

fullofbeans
10-15-2007, 02:14 PM
[they] conducted a clinical study to evaluate the benefits of Taxol in patients with early breast cancer. This study included data from over 1,320 women with breast cancer that had spread to the lymph nodes under the arms (node-positive). All patients had been treated with chemotherapy consisting of Adriamycin® (doxorubicin) plus Cytoxan® (cyclophosphamide). One group of patients was then treated with Taxol, while the other group received no further chemotherapy.

Patients who were HER2-negative and ER-positive derived no benefit from the addition of Taxol.
Patients who were HER2-positive and either ER-positive or ER-negative had a 40% reduced risk of a cancer recurrence with the use of Taxol.
http://www.ufscc.ufl.edu/Patient/cancernews.aspx?section=cancernews&id=40690

Interesting..

julierene
10-15-2007, 02:15 PM
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2007/09/070912113909.htm

They are working on a new delivery with gold particles. This is SO exciting!

fullofbeans
10-15-2007, 02:43 PM
Thanks Julie for above although I am not quite sure what are th magic balls meant to specifically target on the cancer cell..and it seems that they have not yet managed to attached the drug to the ball either, but yep the concept is sound for sure.

Anyhow I feel like hugging a Yew tree right now ;-)

Julie2
10-15-2007, 04:35 PM
I thought Nanoparticle Taxol is already there which is abraxane. May be it is not made of gold balls.

Julie

fullofbeans
10-16-2007, 01:56 PM
Abraxane is simply the taxane given with albumine as oppose to a solvent. This means that your body does not have to deal with the negative effect of the solvent and onlt has to deal with the taxol. Albumine is a body friendly solvent.

What we want is to have chemo that locks up to particular target on cancer cells only and deliver its deadly package to the naughty cells only as oppose to attack all the cells that divides quickly.