PDA

View Full Version : New WINE brand for Breast cancer!!

StephN
10-15-2007, 12:49 PM
Oh! My Gawd! They've done it again. We can't go anyplace without being confronted by some product to support breast cancer research. How in the world are we ever to go out and just enjoy ourself in an EFFORT to forget our own breast cancer troubles with stuff like this going on??

Check out these labels - at least they are somewhat modest.

http://www.luxist.com/2007/10/10/cleavage-creek-wine-for-breast-cancer-research/

This is a good case for "There OTTA be a Law!"

Andrea Barnett Budin
10-15-2007, 05:12 PM
I am offended! I'm just saying...Andi

Believe51
10-17-2007, 11:17 AM
You know I was offended to hear of a site that sells things like:

Save the tata's
Save the boobies....is this what you are teaching our children. NO RESPECT>I know he has his plight but have some common decency!!!

And this too is very offensive and Steph, there ought to be a law like you said. Ow, the things people say and do, it almost makes the UNhuman!!!>>Believe51

MichelleH
10-18-2007, 08:39 AM
I'm with you girls. Considering all the talk about the link to alcohol & beast cancer I find this very tacky. This link (between alcohol & breast cancer) has been a suspicion for many years not just recently. All I can do is just shake my head in disgust. What's next?, putting pictures & stories of lung cancer survivors on a pack of cigarettes for a fund raiser?!!

Michelle

Andrea Barnett Budin
10-18-2007, 09:53 AM
Picture this: Prostate cancer survivors wearing thong bathing briefs, at the beach, bulging proudly. Selling sunscreen -- w/a portion of the proceedes going to some skin cancer org., promoting the prevention of melanoma, sarcoma and basal cell carcinomas...

Of course there's the obvious -- smiling skin cancer survivors lounging in a chaise lounge in bathing suits with bandages all over their bodies, having had many parts of them gouged out to biopsy and then removed. There pictures could adorn boxes of gauze pads, w/a portion of their proceeds going to do more research.

When did vulgar insensitivity become fun????

Andi

chrisy
10-18-2007, 03:12 PM
Well, I'll go against the tide a little bit. I think the labels and marketing are tacky and could easily be offensive, and in reading the comments on the link to the site, it sounds like an even worse insult is it's not REALLY GOOD wine.

However, the owner of this winery clearly understands the seriousness and devastation this disease can cause - having lost his wife of 48 years to breast cancer. I guess if you are a winemaker and you want to raise funds to eradicate the disease that just took the love of your life, maybe it's not out of line to try and leverage the business you know.

I think the motivation is good - some may (and do) disagree with the specifics of the program.

On the whole, tho, I am much more annoyed by over the top breast cancer bandwagonning (is that a word?) done by companies all over the place in October who donate a tiny tiny % to solve the problem, and are mainly in it for the marketing opportunity of being "pink"

I do agree, tho, where's the "balls out bordeaux"?

dhealey
10-18-2007, 04:53 PM
I am deeply offended. The last thing I want to see is some young woman's cleavage on a wine bottle, especially after have double mastectomies. You don't see ads like this for men's prostate cancer. How degrading to those of us fighting this disease. Very insensative!!!!

Andrea Barnett Budin
10-18-2007, 05:47 PM
Chrisy, Are you drinking bordeaux? With testicular twizzle stick? Here's to manhood!

Andi http://cdn-cf.aol.com/se/smi/0201e05fca/08

StephN
10-20-2007, 12:48 PM
Righto, Chrisy,

The wine is pricy at $50 for the cabernet, $45 for the Petit Syrah, and on down to $15 for a blended white. Even if 10% is for charity that means a $45 dollar bottle at the top end.

The KICKER for me was when I got into the winery's web site wanting to know where they would donate the 10% promised. They ADMIT that a charity or foundation has not been chosen as yet!!

Gets to sounding more like a marketing scheme as you delve into the site.

KRISS
10-21-2007, 08:03 AM
Well, I can see both sides. I do think some class should be given to the labeling and such. But I do not mind seeing PINK everywhere. I know a small % goes to the cause but just think of all those small % they add up. I guess I kinda wear my BC as a badge of honor. And all this month I wear pink or some sort of reminder to show the world. And that includes my TATAS are survivors Tshirt. Because they are. I work with a bunch of early thirty somethings and they all have save the tata's magnets on their cars. If it promotes awareness to other age groups I'm for it.