PDA

View Full Version : BRCA Results in - I'm negative!

caya
10-15-2007, 11:31 AM
Had my meeting with the genetics councellor this morning and got the very happy news that I am negative for both BRCA 1 & 2. There is virtually no direct family history on either side of the family, but they tested me because I was 48, premenopausal at dx and Ashkenazi Jewish background.

Needless to say I am relieved, mostly for my 2 beautiful DDs age 18 and 21. I saw my onc. afterwards, who had told me I would be negative, and of course he was very happy for me. But he also reminded me that my DDs, mother and any sister I have (only brothers, he said they would not be at risk now) still have 2x the risk of the general population. Well, we'll be vigilant, but I am so thankful that I am negative for these genes.

Mary Jo
10-15-2007, 12:14 PM
That is wonderful Caya. I'm sure being the mother of daughter's it is a huge relief to you. I was never tested because I was told that the odd's of me having the brca 1 or 2 gene was very slight. I do not have daughter's so decided to not do it.

Once again, that is wonderful news for you. Thanks for sharing.

Mary Jo

Belinda
10-15-2007, 02:13 PM
ongratulations Caya! That's wonderful news and it must be such a relief. I have arranged a referral to do the same - just waiting for the appt now. Best wishes - BElindax

SusieQ
10-15-2007, 02:33 PM
Great news!!! Thank you for sharing!

Vanessa
10-15-2007, 09:05 PM
What a relief, especially since you have daughters. Best wishes.

Becky
10-16-2007, 06:03 PM
Yea! It is a relief to find out the news. Congratulations.

hutchibk
10-16-2007, 06:20 PM
Yippee Caya! I was relieved when I learned I was brac neg! Good going.

Debra
10-18-2007, 11:00 AM
Caya -

Great news! I am having my blood drawn next week for the same thing so I hope I receive the same news as you! Yes---mainly for my kids as well.

MagnoliaforJenny
10-18-2007, 11:37 AM
I'm not sure what this means, I'm sorry to ask so many questions.

My grandmother had breast cancer twice....I don't know what kind it was, but is there some kind of test I need to take? Or my daughter needs to take?

I'm seeing a new gyn next week about a few issues I've been having due to my hysterectomy and some bladder work. I also have some calcifications the doc is keeping watch on, a chip was inserted there and they do a mammogram each year. So far, no changes. The only thing I'll bring up with my new gyn doc is that I do have a sore lump that appears and disappears under my arm. I've asked my family doc and my former gyn doc about it, as well as mentioned it to the mammogram technician. All have said it's nothing to worry about. I hope they're right!

Anyway, back to the original question, I'm not sure what kind of breast cancer my Grandmother had. HER2 is a fairly new finding, as all breast cancers were treated the same until the past few years. She was treated 30 years ago. She had 2 radical mastectomies and remained cancer free until her death from heart problems. My mammo tech. said my calcifications are in a "tea cup" pattern and she is watching them very closely as they tend to lead to cancer, but one that is easily treated.....again, not sure what I'm talking about yet really.

Forgive me for rambling so much!!

rinaina
10-18-2007, 02:45 PM
Caya, congrats on being negative for gene test. I know that is a good feeling as I too found that out not that long ago.

Soccermom
10-18-2007, 03:43 PM
Dear Caya,
WONDERFUL news! I share your Ashkenasi backround and was BRCA negative as well despite a significant family history . I have a 14 yo DD that will still have to be vigilant anyway... BUT BRCA negative is something to celebrate!
Congratulations!
Marcia