PDA

View Full Version : Pathology question?

Alice
10-13-2007, 08:07 AM
Hi There,
I don't often think about my pathology review but arecent post had me wondering about a couple of things. Does anyone have any info on KI67 or P53? I remember them to be important prognostic indicators and I don't hear much about them. I'm not sure how big a part they play. It seems to me they must be important enough for the pathologist to include them on the report. My pathology reads as follows:

ER- (0%)
PR- (0%)
Her2 3+
KI67 + (90%)
P53 + (90%)

All 5 are considered to be in the unfavorable range with a poor prognosis. I have been lucky in that I had a very good responce to treatment and feel better each month about the future.
Thanks, Alice

Becky
10-13-2007, 08:18 AM
Dear Alice

KI 67 measures how fast the cancer cells are reproducing. Most Her2+ cancers reproduce fast. The higher the % the faster it is reproducing.

P53 is the tumor suppressor gene. I am not sure what is measured. Mine was 10% and my mom's was less than 5%. I think it measures how many cells have a mutated p53.

Do not think about prognosis. Chemo kills cells that are rapidly reproducing. Prognosis is still "measured" prior to good chemo regimes and adjuvant Herceptin.

Feel well, smile and put the pathology report back in your file where it belongs and have a nice weekend.

Alice
10-13-2007, 08:38 AM
Thanks Becky
I don't think about prognosis these days. I feel as though I have a good prognosis due to the good responce I had to treatment. If I think about it it is just in passing. If I dwell on what could be I feel as though I am cheating myself out of the rest of my life and if I am going to do that I may as well have not gone through the treatment because cancer will have robbed me of my happiness. It has taken a while to get to this place in my attitude and I am not willing to go backwards from here! All of you on this board are an inspiration to me and I am grateful for all the support and information you bring to us all.

Thanks, Alice

Brenda_D
10-13-2007, 10:13 AM
Alice, all of mine were unfavorable too, but like Becky said, the prognosis doesn't take into account the fact that we have Herceptin and Tykerb now.

I set small goals, of making it through today, this week, this month, and try to extend those goals as I go.
My main goal is to try to feel as good as I can Today, and repeat that tomorrow.

Alice
10-13-2007, 10:22 AM
Thanks Brenda. I am going to try the feeling good today method. I haven't tried that one but it sounds good. I had heart trouble while on herseptin but I know if bc comes back they will try it again. Also if it comes back there may be new treatments as we are seeing developed all the time.
Alice