PDA

View Full Version : Alcohol increases breast cancer risk by 10% and 40%

Vic
10-12-2007, 07:02 PM
How do some of you feel about Brian Williams news story from last month that included Robert Bazell's piece on alcohol and its connection with breast cancer as shown here: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21083325/ (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21083325/)

I enjoy a glass of champagne with dinner, but now it has me scared, since it says one glass of any alcohol (wine, beer or hard liquor) can increase breast cancer risk by 10% and as much as 40% with three or more glasses.

I'd love to hear your thoughts on this, especially those of you who have continued to drink alcoholic beverages.

Vicki

StillHere
10-12-2007, 07:35 PM
Hi Vic, I am going for quality of life vs quantity. Cheers!

fauxgypsy
10-12-2007, 07:45 PM
Up until last month I hadn't had a beer since I started chemo. I like to have a beer occasionally. Then I see this research. I think "d@#&*t. Then I remind myself of the following story. Years ago I was on a beach in N.C. It was cold and I had the beach to myself. A guy came over after a while and we started talking. He said he was a priest and we talked for a little while. Then he offered me an illegal substance (many long years ago). I was shocked, not by the substance but by the priest having it. When I questioned him, he said that he was an Episcopalian priest, that they believed in all things in moderation. So when I start to obsess about something like my occasional beer, I remember the priest on the beach. Quality of life is good!

Leslie

PinkGirl
10-12-2007, 08:03 PM
Love that beach story Faux - everything in moderation, even for the priests.

I have never been much of a drinker. On Christmas morning I sometimes put some Bailey's in my coffee. I have met so many women who have none of the risk factors for BC but get it anyway. That research would not stop me from having an occasional drink if I wanted one. I'll still be throwing the Bailey's in my coffee this Christmas.

Jeanette
10-12-2007, 08:37 PM
I enjoy having my wine and cheese in the evenings. There are people out there that have never smoked or drank and are riddled with cancer. I am not saying go out and drink for drinking sake, but like the last few posters , every thing in moderation. I had an aunt that maybe had a drink twice a year and died of breast cancer. So it is an individual choice, for myself I will continue to have my wine in the evenings, Blessing s to all, Jeanette

Debra
10-12-2007, 08:44 PM
Well from what I understand, it is the excess estrogen secreted from alcohol use that increases the risk.
I have had a hysterectomy and I am on an AI, so you know what-----I don't have any estrogen!! So, I will enjoy my glass of wine!

hutchibk
10-12-2007, 09:45 PM
You know, I'm not much of a drinker either. (see nickname: 'half beer brenda') But I do have about 3 beers a month and at least one margarita a month. I can't imagine that that small amount would be very harmful. Now I will probably reconsider and not have any at all if I ever start to show up with Liver mets....

R.B.
10-13-2007, 03:45 AM
This is an interesting informative yet understandable article on alcohol and BC, and should be considered in the light of the later articles on alcohol and BC status. As usual it appears to be complex.

http://jama.ama-assn.org/cgi/content/full/286/17/2143?ijkey=802fbffaa17ee77c83fdcb88842e128dc81feff c

ABSTRACT

"Recommendations

The potential risks vs benefits of alcohol consumption should be considered in individual decision making.215 Clearly, alcohol abuse and excessive drinking (>=3 drinks per day) should be discouraged, in light of the numerous deleterious health consequences accompanying such behavior.216 Also, women abstaining for personal, ethical, or religious reasons should not be encouraged to drink to reap a perceived health benefit. For those considered sporadic or occasional social drinkers (<1 drink per day), alcohol consumption is unlikely to significantly affect breast cancer risk. Regular consumption of alcohol as low as 1 to 2 drinks per day may contribute to a modest increase in risk. However, when considering low-to-moderate levels of consumption, recommendations based on a woman's overall risk profile for chronic disease seem prudent.20, 217-218 Thus, recommendations about alcohol consumption remain valid1, 219 (ie, women who do not drink should not start, and those who do drink should do so in moderation, which is generally recognized to be about 1 drink per day).

Alcohol intake is one of the few modifiable breast cancer risk factors yet identified.220 To better understand the etiologic nature of the effect of alcohol on breast carcinogenesis, more research is needed. In particular, studies should focus on interactions between alcohol and other risk factors221 and on additional insights into the multiple biological mechanisms involved."

This is an interesting review

This and the two other items below all seem to suggest alcohol impacts aromatase and oestrogen related products.

It suggests risk may be BC type related.

RB

http://cebp.aacrjournals.org/cgi/content/full/12/10/1061

"Reviews and meta-analyses of observational studies evaluating alcohol use and breast cancer risk have consistently shown that alcohol use is a moderate risk factor for breast cancer (1, 2, 3, 4) . Specifically, a recent pooled analysis of 53 epidemiological studies reported that breast cancer risk increases 7.1% with each additional 10 g/day of alcohol consumed (1) ."

The Relationship between Alcohol Use and Risk of Breast Cancer by Histology and Hormone Receptor Status among Women 65–79 Years of Age1
Christopher I. Li2, Kathleen E. Malone, Peggy L. Porter, Noel S. Weiss, Mei-Tzu C. Tang and Janet R. Daling

"Alcohol consumption is associated with a moderate increase in breast cancer risk, possibly because alcohol increases estrogen levels in blood. Certain types of breast carcinomas are more hormonally responsive than others, including those that have a lobular histology or are hormone receptor positive, but few studies evaluating alcohol use and breast cancer risk have stratified results by histology or estrogen receptor (ER)/progesterone receptor (PR) status. We conducted a population-based case-control study of women 65–79 years of age in western Washington State. Women (975) diagnosed with invasive breast cancer during 1997–1999 were compared with 1007 controls. Ever-use of alcohol over the past 20 years was associated with a 1.3-fold [95% confidence interval (CI), 1.0–1.5] increased risk of breast cancer, although this increase was primarily limited to women who consumed >=30.0 g/day of alcohol [odds ratio (OR), 1.7; 95% CI, 1.1–2.6]. Differences in risk by histology were observed: ever-use of alcohol was associated with a 1.8-fold (95% CI, 1.3–2.5) increased risk of lobular cancer but only a 1.2-fold (95% CI, 0.9–1.4) increased risk of ductal cancer. Ever-users of alcohol had an increase in risk of ER+/PR+ tumors (OR, 1.3; 95% CI, 1.1–1.7), but no change in their risks of ER+/PR- or ER-/PR- tumors. Alcohol use appears to be more strongly associated with risk of lobular carcinomas and hormone receptor-positive tumors than it is with other types of breast cancer. These results are consistent with there being an underlying hormonal basis for the known association between alcohol use and breast cancer incidence....."

R.B.
10-13-2007, 04:00 AM
Here is a trial in the lab again suggesting differences in effect for different BC status.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/entrez?cmd=retrieve&db=pubmed&list_uids=11275361&dopt=AbstractPlus

"Treatment of ER+ human breast cancer cells (MCF-7 and ZR75.1) with ethanol at concentrations between 10 and 100 mM was associated with increased cell numbers compared to controls. The ERalpha content and the amount of intracellular cAMP also increased in ER+ cells exposed to ethanol, compared to controls. On the other hand, ethanol treatment did not increase cell proliferation or cAMP levels in the ER- (BT-20 and MDA-MB-231) human breast cancer cells. Therefore, ethanol added at physiologically relevant concentrations to ER+ human breast cancer cell cultures can enhance cell proliferation and increase the content of ERalpha."

R.B.
10-13-2007, 04:04 AM
And in the lab alcohol pushes up aromatase expression.

RB

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/entrez?Db=pubmed&Cmd=ShowDetailView&Ter&itool=EntrezSystem2.PEntrez.Pubmed.Pubmed_ResultsP anel.Pubmed_RVAbstractPlus

Ethanol stimulates proliferation, ERalpha and aromatase expression in MCF-7 human breast cancer cells.
Etique N, Chardard D, Chesnel A, Merlin JL, Flament S, Grillier-Vuissoz I.

ABSTRACT

"At the same stage, RT-PCR studies demonstrate a 2.4-fold increase in aromatase mRNA level which is confirmed at the protein level by western blots performed after immuno-precipitation of the enzyme. Taken together, these results are in agreement with the involvement of ER signalling in ethanol-induced stimulation of breast cancer cell proliferation and could help to understand why alcohol consumption is associated with breast cancer risk."

Mary Jo
10-13-2007, 07:33 AM
I stand with "Stillhere"http://www.her2support.org/vbulletin/images/icons/icon14.gif

Cheers back at ya,

Mary Jo

Becky
10-13-2007, 07:48 AM
Hey Vicki

I owe you a letter but thought I'd reply to this. Remember when we were in Atlanta together and met that oncologist from Meridian, Mississippi? I think we had just come back from a presentation on bc and alcohol (or maybe we were just thinking of consuming some alcohol!!??) Anyway, he told us to make sure we consumed 1000mg of folic acid if we were going to have more than 2 alcoholic drinks and that he did.

There are studies on this. I really don't think alcohol is a big deal unless you really go for it every day (3+ per day). Most weekdays, I don't drink because I get too tired to run, cook,clean up etc - even one glass of wine will do it. But on Friday - Sunday, my mood and metabolism are running high and Pete and I will split a bottle of wine. If we go out to dinner, we will have a cocktail AND split a bottle of wine. I will also have 2 glasses of wine on a Friday and Sunday night too. I figure, I eat right, exercise, take my supplements - I went through 2 years of treatment to live - and I'm not supposed to enjoy whatever time God has decided I am supposed to be here for? If I did everything bad, I might be more concerned but if I did everything bad, I wouldn't care either (nor would you). You take super care of yourself and are vigiliant as I am and most of us on the board. Have your drinks when you want to. Just eat your greens too (rich in folate!!)

Love you Vicki. I will privately write soon.

Mary Anne in TX
10-13-2007, 07:50 AM
Gee'z! I've spent the last 30 years having had NO alcohol at all and very little before then. I was just in the process of planning a most inviting introduction into "wine tasting" for the purpose of relaxation and some fun finding those I would enjoy! I love research!!!
Still sounds like a good plan though! I've been in denial mode far too long!!!
What do you think? Continue the tee-totler (is that spelled right?) life or give life a whirl?
You know, maybe Tip could give us some advice on this one! I noticed that he really does appear to be an inquisitive sort of guy. And I'll bet with his spirit of adventure, he might have picked something up on his travels within the medical environment! Worth a try, you know!
mary anne

Marlys
10-13-2007, 07:51 AM
Well, I guess statistically I am doomed. I did everything to excess (and quite frankly I enjoyed most of it immensely). However, without that I would have never found the life I have today. And for that I am grateful. I drank until I could drink no more and I smoked until I decided I wasn't going to pay that much for them anymore. However, I am not going to give up eating anytime soon.
Sometimes reports of scientific studies get to be too much.
For those of you who drink so little (which I cannot understand) keep it up. Don't give up on the quality of life that you have.
Love & hugs,
Marlys

KRISS
10-13-2007, 07:53 AM
You know before all this started I was a pretty hard core drinker. Around 3 drinks a day, every day for years. I have no family history of BC and often wonder if I did this to myself. But since chemo and all I can hardly drink at all. For one the taste is not the same. I used to love red wine and now find it hard to go down. Every now and then I crave a glass of white and go for it but all other alcohol does not appeal to me( ok a margharita at our mexican place, but a small one not the big honker I used to knock back). Maybe this is Gods way of saving me from some other illness or problem. But moderation is the key.

KRISS
10-13-2007, 07:57 AM
Marlys, you crack me up! I love your spirit and zest for life!

Hopeful
10-13-2007, 09:41 AM
Wine is my hobby and a very big part of my life. I enjoy wine three to four times a week with wine friends. We pour a lot, but pour out a lot, too - we taste rather than drink, but the tastes add up. I would say it comes to to two three glasses on those occassions.

All of the doctors involved in my treatment are aware of this, and not one of them has suggested to me to cut down or cut out the wine. I have no intention of changing my consumption habits. I have added a folic acid supplement to my diet since dx.

Hopeful

Vic
10-13-2007, 10:32 AM
Hi Wonderful Wise Women,

Wow, I am blown away by the great response to me posting and that's why I love each and every one of you! It's nice to know we can count on each other for sage advice and support and it's fun to see everyone's special personality shine through.

Thanks, Becky, for the pleasant reminder of our great time together and, yes, I do recall Mr. Onc. from Mississippi telling us about the 1,000 mg. of folic acid. So, I will continue to eat my greens and go to the health food store and buy some folic acid when I imbibe. I also take milk thistle on occasion after I've had some drinks, too, as I hear it's good for liver cleansing. This sounds like I live in a "bottle," and I really don't; I just want to watch what I'm doing internally while I'm enjoying life. (Becky, I look forward to talking with you online!).

So, here's a toast to each of you for keeping everything in perspective. Thanks again.

Love and hugs from Calif. and have a great weekend,

Vicki

Sheila
10-13-2007, 10:42 AM
Funny. my Mom has never drank in her life...she has breast cancer, and me, I like an occasional martini, margarita, bloody mary, glass of wine, and oh don't forget the Miller Lite...or the new Miller Freeze!....but all in moderation.... and I have breast cancer... I live life each day! Last night I tasted a Bacardi Mohito for the first time....didn't like it at all...taste like cough medicine!

Grace
10-13-2007, 12:49 PM
I love wine but stopped drinking in 2001 when my husband stopped because he had been diagnosed with diabetes. The day I was diagnosed with BC in 2006 I stopped at the local wine shop and purchased a bottle of champagne. Herceptin altered my taste buds so I didn't drink much in the last year, but now that I'm off herceptin I have my wine and enjoy it immensely. I don't enjoy the folic acid supplements as much, but I take those as well.

StephN
10-13-2007, 01:16 PM
I am in with those who say a bit of alcohol in moderation adds to their quality of life. Can recall some gals here posting on another "alcohol thread" that they needed a glass or two of wine to help them sleep after their diagnosis.

During treatment my med onc was all for a glass of wine with dinner. He also recommended the folic acid, which I no longer use as a supplement by itself, but get in other ways. Again the taste buds were badly affected as well as stomach acid from the chemos. Managed to enjoy lighter wines such as Beaujolais and low alcohol German wines or from the Loire Valley.

This quote from the article in Vic's link was something I noticed in some other research:

Indeed, wine, beer and spirits can cause both the increase in breast cancer risk and the reduction in heart disease risk. In lab studies alcohol increases the amount of the female hormone estrogen, which could account for its effects on both heart disease (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19336574/) and breast cancer.

Being estogen neg, my question was answered.

Patb
10-13-2007, 01:53 PM
Here's to folic acid with a little wine. I agree everything in moderation.
Chicken, beef, etc is full of hormones so I really watch that and I
found a new wine called New Age that is lower in alcohol but very
good on ice with lime. In fact I plan to have one tonight. Cheers!
patb

hutchibk
10-13-2007, 04:20 PM
Oh yeah, Sheila - thanks for reminding me, I also usually have a mojito at least once a month, too. Suddenly Half Beer Brenda is sounding more like Have another one Brenda... LOL

Mary Jo
10-13-2007, 04:30 PM
Hahahahahahahahaha Brenda (or should I say "have one more Brenda) - that made me laugh.

Mary Jo

dberg
10-14-2007, 04:01 PM
I spent the better part of my 20s, 30s and 40s taking really good care of myself. I ran marathons, watched what I ate, didn't smoke, breast fed my three kids, etc. It was a lifestyle that was easy for me to maintain and I smugly thought I was set for life. At 45 I was dx with very aggressive bc that had all sorts of nasty proliferative markers. Ironically I was training for a half marathon at the time, weighed 110 llbs, and was strong as an ox. Go figure.

I'm 3 years out now and have to admit that I drink more now than I did before my dx. And I have absolutely no intention of giving up wine or our annual trips to Napa/Sonoma. I'm not stupid though. I'm going to add folic acid to my grocery list. Right underneath the margarita salt.

janet/FL
10-16-2007, 08:42 PM
If you are serious about taking large amounts of folic acid, you might consider that there may also be negative side effects. I had just gotten a prescription for 1 mg of folic acid when I read a study that said it could increase the risk of some kinds of cancer. As usual, darned if you do and darned if don't.

A Web MD. study on folic acid and colon cancer says--
"The take-home message from our study is people should be cautious about taking supplements to prevent diseases such as cancer because those treatments might be ineffective and could be harmful," he says."

The next report recommends 600mcgs a day if you drink.

Maybe I will just cut the 1 mg in half. :-)
Janet/FL

http://www.webmd.com/colorectal-cancer/news/20070605/folic-acid-may-not-avert-colon-cancer?page=2

http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/alcohol.html#sidebar

Kathy S in Tokyo
10-18-2007, 09:34 PM
I've stopped worrying about the risk of getting breast cancer now that I have it and am enjoying life :-). I drink about 12 glasses of wine a year, so this is rather moderate, in my opinion. I asked my onc. about it before and he joked that my chemo was in an alcohol suspension, so that if I couldn't handle my wine, I might need help getting home from chemo if I got too drunk on my IV.

Sheila
10-19-2007, 09:00 AM
Kathy
I'm with you....I figues all the poison that gets infused into me, a little alcohol certainly can't hurt...I just never drink any on chemo days and for about 4 days before and after...good thing I'm on the every 2 weeks plan!