PDA

View Full Version : Breast Specific Gamma Imaging

Hopeful
10-11-2007, 02:13 PM
This morning, I had my first BSGI test (Breast Specific Gamma Imaging). It is a nuclear medicine test, like a Muga scan. You get an injection of a radioactive isotope, then sit in a chair while the breast is lightly compressed between two panels. You have to sit still for the camera, and each picture takes ten minutes. They do two pictures of each breast. The idea is that cancer cells have a higher metabolism than regular cells, and will take up the isotope quicker. The entire test is done with a computer, that captures the images and prints them out for the patient. You see the radiologist immediately after the test is finished to receive your results. A written report to your doctor follows in a few days.

My surgery was in June, 2006, and my most recent mammo was my annual in April. I would have gone for a diagnostic mammogram, as my surgeon wants one every six months at this time, but my doctor and I decided to alternate the two tests instead. My breasts are very dense, and we thought this would provide us with additional information and a better idea of what was going on than we would know from just an image.

Now for the results – good news! The radiologist said both breasts were “stable – no hot spots.” My annual mammogram will be in April 2008.

Hopeful

tousled1
10-11-2007, 07:46 PM
That's wonderful news!! This is the first I heard of the Breast Specific Gamma Imaging. Sounds a lot less uncomfortable than a mammogram.

Hopeful
10-12-2007, 05:29 AM
Kate,

Like a lot of other great information, I learned about this from one of Lani's posts: http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=27929&referrerid=1173

I did not find it uncomfortable, in fact, the tech asked me each time if she had adjusted the plates too tightly.

Hopeful

Lani
10-12-2007, 06:34 AM
now with your post with personal experience (and your previous post citing a cost of 1/3 an MRI) let's see if others can request/get it.

Yesterday I posted the following, but as I listed it under "for those newly diagnosed"... you might have missed it: a new test combining BSGI and MRI
(sort of like combining PET AND CT, but obviously with no added radiation from the MRI) was found to be the new gold standard in determining size of the tumor noninvasively ie, better than mammography, scintigraphy alone, or MRI alone.

Another recent article cite combining herceptin in a radioimmunocomplex for her2 specific imaging, but that is farther from primetime as they have to be sure that complex is safe in humans (and of course it will be more expensive)

Three years ago digital mammography was relatively new, now MRI is becoming better utilized (at least for BRCA1/2 patients)...lets hope this test becomes more widely available soon.

By the way, what IS your local hospital, so everyone knows!

Thanks so much for your input, Hopeful.

Mary Anne in TX
10-12-2007, 06:45 AM
Hopeful, that is such super news! Congratulations and thank you for sharing about your experience with the new testing! And thanks to you too, Lani, for keeping us up to date! ma

Jean
10-12-2007, 06:53 AM
My Dear Hopeful,
So thrilled for you - hearing those results is a big gift! The test sounds
super easy and rather pleasant. Like you I have dense breasts, so
every 6 months I have a digital mammorgram and then alternate with
MRI.

I am calling my dr. today to ask if she has this machine and if not
when is she getting it. Sounds so better than the banging head
slamming noise from the MRI.

Please let us know where you are...and where you had this test
done...

God Bless,
Jean

Hopeful
10-12-2007, 08:07 AM
Dilon Technologies is the manufacturer of the camera used in BSGI. Here is a link to their website with a listing of the facilities that currently offer this testing: http://www.dilon.com/medprof_bsgireferencesites.php

I encourage anyone interested to navigate around their website, as it has a host of information on the process. If you click on "contact" at the toolbar on top of the page, you can e-mail the Dilon company as a potential patient, and ask if there are additional facilities to the ones listed that are offering the test or may offer it soon. If you click on "news and releases," it appears that the company is working on deals in Europe. I know I read an article in the business pages a few months ago that they had more orders to build cameras than their capacity allowed. The technology appears to have a bright future.

I would be interested in hearing of others' experiences with this system.

Hopeful

Jean
10-12-2007, 08:18 AM
Beth Isreal Hospital New York City
has this new BSGI available.

I have made an appointment for myself in Nov. instead of MRI
By the way the MRI is $1975 dollars the BSGI cost $500
Major difference in price.

The imaging is not done at the main hospital but at their Breast Imagining
building which is located at:

10 Union Square East
New York, NY - 3rd floor/room P
212 844-8880

They want you to bring your prior mamo's film the week before
your appointment.

I am most eager as the MRI is uncomfortable for the back and arms
plus the noise from the MRI machine is loud.

Jean

Hopeful
10-12-2007, 11:00 AM
Jean,

Good for you. Let me (and all of us) know what you think about it after you have the test.

Hopeful