PDA

View Full Version : I am pretty concerned, help!

KellyA
10-09-2007, 12:17 AM
I am pretty concerned and trying to stay calm. About 48 hours ago,I started with some mild pain (but consistant) under my ribs on the right side (not my ribs) and was very sore to the touch. I am also having some back pain and pain in my side. It has got prgressively worse and right now I am pretty nauseated and running a low grade fever (99.9). It's 3:00am and I am awake because I rolled over and almost went through the roof. It hurts to even sit up for more than a minute.

Please tell me that liver mets don't come on like this. Could it be gallbladder or appendix or something? If it wasn't so far over on the side, I might think it was my stomach. I am actually thinking about calling the doctor (I've never done that in the middle of the night). Definitely a little worried...

Kelly

Mary Anne in TX
10-09-2007, 12:35 AM
Call whoever you need to call and take care of yourself!

Kavy
10-09-2007, 12:44 AM
Kelly,
I am sorry you are going through so much pain, but it can be from anything, not necessarily liver mets. I had several small liver mets and I never had any pain, nausea or fever. But if you are in pain, call your doctor right now, do not worry about how late it is.
I hope that you will feel much better soon.
Hugs,
KarlaV.

KellyA
10-09-2007, 12:46 AM
CR_P!! This is my luck- hubby is away in Switzerland and I have all three boys and they start school in a few hours. My onc is gonna love this wake up call.

Kelly

Kavy
10-09-2007, 01:16 AM
Kelly,
If you do not want to call your oncologist that late, take some pain medication ( I like Motrin), and see how you feel. This will help you to get some sleep. And call him in the morning and let him know about your pain, he probably will order some tests like an ultrasound to find out what is going on.
I do not think you have liver mets, just my opinion.
Take care,
KarlaV.

RhondaH
10-09-2007, 02:52 AM
Honestly, I'm thinking it's your gall bladder, but if it's THAT bad, you should definately get it checked out as pain is not comfortable AND the anxiety of the unknown is more painful than the known....I know, I'm waiting for the results of a breast mri I had on Sun...AND I'm feeling some aches in the area you are describing also. ALSO, radiation can cause these aches too. Take care and God bless. Let us know what you find out.

Rhonda

Here are past posts on the discussion...might help ease your mind.

http://her2support.org/vbulletin/search.php?searchid=140192

Becky
10-09-2007, 03:04 AM
This sounds like a bad case of the stomach virus, appendix or gallbladder. Mets do not cause such pain in the beginning - not through the roof pain. Go to the emergency room for that kind of pain now. Call a relative or neighbor for the boys (and for you - maybe you should not drive)

I wish I was there to help you - business traveling spouse replacement service.

KellyA
10-09-2007, 03:15 AM
Just checking in- Karla, I took some pain meds as you suggested and rested for a while. Not as bad, but still there. It's six or so and I'm gonna get the kids off to school (On top of everything, it's my middle son's b-day) and call in to the doctor. I'm really hoping that its my gallbladder or something (never thought I'd hear the day that I'd say that!) I find it hard to believe that pain would just start like that with the liver. Concerned though as it is exactly located there and wraps around my side.

Will let you know what happens. Thanks Becky, that would be a great service...

Love, Kelly

Sheila
10-09-2007, 04:44 AM
Kelly
I have to agree with Becky, sudden intense pain does not sound like mets...it sounds like appendix, gallbladder or kidney stone....you do need to get it checked out at the E.R. These things never occur when its convenient...as if it ever is! Sending you my prayers that this episode gets resolved quickly and is over.

Grace
10-09-2007, 05:52 AM
Kelly,

Hopefully, you've called a doctor by now and your pain is resolved. I've had both gallbladder and appendix and was in severe pain with both. I didn't have nausea with gallbladder but did with appendix. Both can come on slowly over time, or very quickly, although I believe when the pain comes that quickly it's more likely appendix. My appendix started about 8:00 in the evening and by ten the next day I was on the operating table. Gallbladder took months of intermittent pain before it got that bad. Don't walk, run to the doctor. And please let us know how you're doing.

MJo
10-09-2007, 06:25 AM
Oh Kelly, by now I hope you are getting some help. Husband out of town, first day of school for three little boys and birthday for one of them-- it sounds like the perfect set up for mjommy having a gall bladder attack or appendicitis. Life goes on. Please let us know what happens.

PinkGirl
10-09-2007, 06:31 AM
Geez Kelly A, what a bummer. This sounds like Murphy's Law - all this pain in the middle of the night, husband is out of town, and it's your son's birthday.
I will keep all my fingers and toes crossed for you that this is NOT
mets. It sure sounds like something acute like appendix or gallbladder.
Careful you don't sprain your ankle or crack a tooth - that's how "Murphy's Law" days seem to end. Keep us posted - we're all worried for you.

Kavy
10-09-2007, 09:59 AM
Kelly,
I hope you are pain free by now, and that your doctor found the source of your pain so that you can celebrate your son's birthday without pain and worry. Happy birthday to your son.
Please, keep us posted.
Hugs,
KarlaV.

DonnaD
10-09-2007, 10:59 AM
Kelly,
I hope you will keep us informed. Many are concerned, thinking and praying for you.

Donna

chrisy
10-09-2007, 11:06 AM
Kelly,
Do get it checked out, but don't panic. I had basically no symptoms - certainly no pain - when I was diagnosed with extensive liver mets.

That was meant to make you feel better - your pain is not necessarily anything cancer related at all!

Andrea Barnett Budin
10-09-2007, 11:07 AM
KELLY -- I CONCUR WITH THE MEDICAL PROFESSIONALS ABOVE! No time for humor, I know. Sounds like APPENDIX -- which must be attended to IMMEDIATELY! I really mean that. It can be a benign matter of life and death. Not to scare you, but to get you MOVING...

Or, it could be gall bladder. Both very painful, inconvenient and unwanted to be sure. Call a friend/family to cover. Where are husbands when you need them? Not in Switzerland...

I do *not* think liver mets. I had multiple tumors in liver and NONE of your symptoms. No pain. No nausea. I felt fine! Just a little metastatic bc is all.

Our thoughts and prayers are with you -- no matter what the source of your urgent pain! Anxiously waiting to hear from you, Kelly...

With love,
Andi

Mary Jo
10-09-2007, 12:21 PM
Hi Kelly,

I'm assuming by now you have seen the doctor and know what is causing you to feel so badly. I can't wait to hear from you.

Sending love and peace your way.

Mary Jo

tricia keegan
10-09-2007, 01:47 PM
kelly I hope you've seen the Dr by now and are feeling better. This definatly sounds like what I went through with gall stones before dx with bc...I used to go to the ER about once a week for a pain relieving injection before they finally removed the whole thing!
Please keep us posted

Margerie
10-09-2007, 01:51 PM
Kelly I am betting on gall stones because the same sudden symptoms happened to me. It was like a labor contraction under my ribs that wouldn't subside. Did you anything fatty a few hours beforehand? I took some pain meds and that helped- but uugghh it was not pleasant! Had the gall bladder out with the ovaires.

Hope you are feeling better this afternoon.

Barbara H.
10-09-2007, 02:07 PM
Hi Kelly,
I'm thinking of you. If it is your appendix, I don't think you are supposed to take pain meds. I'm sure by now you are in treatment. I hope all goes well. Your son will never forget this birthday. I'm sure you will find a way to celebrate later in the week if necessary. We are all thinking of you.
Barbara H.

Chelee
10-09-2007, 02:13 PM
Kelly, I agree with Margerie. My brother called me one night with almost the exact same symptoms your having. He was really concerned. He said he had some pain the prior two days but nothing as bad as the night he wanted me over there. He felt so bad he was afraid to drive and thats so unlike my brother. Took him to hospital and it WAS gallstones. Hopefully you've been seen by now and have some relief and answers. Can't wait to hear from you. Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers.

Chelee

JerseyGirl
10-09-2007, 02:27 PM
Kelly, I'm with the others. I'd say gallbladder, then appendix. The appendix is lower right, gallbladder is upper. And mets don't come on that suddenly I don't think. Of course I've never felt anything with my liver mets!! It's gotta be pretty far gone to have pain, I think. Let us know what it is; I know it's hard to ignore the daily tasks, but we have to take care of ourselves so we're here to do the daily tasks! Let us know how you are.
Julie

lexigirl
10-09-2007, 02:48 PM
Dear Kelly,

I hope you are feeling better and have found the culprit for your side ache. I am hoping it is just your pesky gall bladder. Who needs it any way?!

Pleas let us know how you are doing.

Hugs,
Lexi

KellyA
10-09-2007, 02:57 PM
Hi all,

Sorry I am just getting back with you. What a day. For some ridiculous reason,I thought I could go to work today and call my onc. from there. It was my middle son's b-day and I didn't want to miss his celebration. Long about 8:15, I realized that wasn't such a good decision. I spent the day at my onc's and getting an abdominal ultrasound. I am waiting to hear the results as I am typing this. He's supposed to let me know tonight. He felt very strongly that it was my gallbladder. I pray that that is all it is. Thank you so much for your concern and advice. Sorry to be such a panicky mess this am.

I will let you know when I hear for sure.

Love, Kelly

Vanessa
10-09-2007, 03:04 PM
I hope you get your results back soon. I am with the rest of the group, my liver mets did not feel like that at all. I will be thinking of you, keep us posted.

rinaina
10-09-2007, 03:14 PM
maybe kidney stone, the pain is very intense and comes on like gangbusters with no warning.

Grace
10-09-2007, 04:39 PM
Kelly,

If it is gallbladder and you need it out, I hope it works as mine did. I woke up from surgery and felt wonderful--mainly because I was finally out of pain after many months. I spent one night in hospital, was walking around next day, and aside from taking it easy for a week, was fine. Appendix removal was worse, but probably because it was removed twenty-five years earlier, when surgery was more difficult. Both surgeries are relatively benign these days. And, for you, the best news of all, not cancer!

Andrea Barnett Budin
10-09-2007, 05:01 PM
Well hello Kelly! So glad to hear from you. And, don't be silly, we know you're no sissy. The kind of pain you described is not a trivial matter. Pain is alarming, in addition to hurting like hell. It is a sign something is very wrong. *We* on this board naturally go immediately to the worst case scenario. That's how we know we will survive -- catching bc before it progresses, in the nick of time, making it a matter of life vs *!#*^!! We've trained ourselves to be alert and in tune w/ev single change in our bodies, and we try to do it without obsessing, which is a neat trick, as we all know. And we all seem to feel, IN OUR MEDICAL OPINION, that this is not ca...

I was just hoping it wasn't appendix, as I have a friend who had the same urgent excruciating pain as you described and went to the doc and was insistent that they keep looking cause she knew this was serious. She is not a complainer. When they decided that it was appendix and immediately did the surgery they said it was a good thing because it was about to burst and become life threatening. She had refused to leave the doc's office (top doc of course) because her Inner Voice told her not to budge. So I wanted to be sure, Kelly, that yours wasn't a similar situation. That happened a 100 yrs ago but I have filed the info away in my brain.

Gall bladder is also severely painful. Though I never experienced that. I did have a kidney stone that sent me to the floor unable to move, after vomiting my guts up and feel sicker than I ever imagined possible. But the pain was in the back, in my kidney area, so I assumed your pain was different -- under the ribs in the front.

Any way thank you so much for relieving our anxiety as we have all been with you all day. Our thoughts and our hearts are still with you. Is hubby coming home soon? Waiting to hear sono results. With loving, healing, soothing energy,
Andi

tousled1
10-09-2007, 05:17 PM
Vanessa,

Hoping you get the call from the oncologist that's it's just your gallbladder. You're in my prayers

hutchibk
10-09-2007, 08:31 PM
Ya know, we don't really need our gallbladder anyway, right? It's fairly expendible. LOL

fauxgypsy
10-09-2007, 08:41 PM
I realized that I didn't miss my gallbladder nearly as much as I miss my breast. It was really a relief to get it out. If it has to be something then I hope it is something simple. I am so glad that you were able to get back to us. Take care.

Leslie

Bev
10-09-2007, 08:41 PM
Sorry the Bday plans didn't all work out. Hope they can fix whatever it is. Bev

StephN
10-09-2007, 09:21 PM
With a sharp pain under the ribs like that, it reminds me of an attack of pleurisy. An inflammation in the lining between the ribs. Very painful and stayed for days. It did come on rather quickly as well.

Don't know if the ultrasound would pick that up.

Never had the gall bladder or appendicitis thing. And liver mets only started to bother me on the right side when very advanced.

vickie h
10-10-2007, 11:20 PM
i agree with Steph. It almost sounds like pleurisy or something going on with an inflammation in the lungs, I had severe pain and ended up in the hospital with radiation pneumonitis for 10 days. Have you had radiation within the past 3 months or so? Let us know how you are...we are all thinking of you and praying alot...Love, Vickie

Catherine
10-10-2007, 11:30 PM
Hey Kelly,
Thank goodness our medical staff was on duty at 3am. Do not play super human mom and tough girl. If you have pain, call for help. Hoping this is something that can be taken care of and you can get on with your son's birthday party....even if it is a few days late.

Hope to hear from you soon.
Hugs and prayers, Catherine