PDA

View Full Version : Meeting with the onc

Faith in Him
10-08-2007, 09:33 PM
Just sharing my thoughts with you wonderful ladies as I know I could share this with my family and they would not have a clue as to what I was talking about. Or they would think I was not being grateful.

I went for my herceptin infusion today but I had to meet with the onc first. The meeting went well. I learn my muga was good, I had a physical exam - it was good, I have great energy and and the onc is very pleased with how things are going.

So I then go to get the infusion and the nurse leaves the docs notes in my room and walks out. So I have to read them, it is just to tempting. His notes read: no masses, no areas of concern and is in a clincial remission. Well, you'd think I would be excited about those last two words: clincial remission but I wasn't. I wished it said clincially cured, forever.

The thought of being in remission and not cured is bothering me. I guess, I just needed to vent a little. Tomorrow, I hope I feel differently.

Vanessa
10-08-2007, 09:40 PM
I don't think they can officially call it cured, until you have been NED for 5 years. Somebody correct me if I am wrong. I am very happy that you are in clinical remission and I hope you stay that way. That is my wish for you. No masses and no areas of concern sound pretty good, also. Best wishes to you.

Mary Anne in TX
10-09-2007, 12:41 AM
A little anger and frustration is ok! Wishing for a cure is what we all want! But I think I'm a bit jealous! Think I'll go back to sleep and dream it was my notes you read. You have a right to your feelings, whatever they are! Let them be, then have a huge celebration for the great news that was there! A piece of chocolate pie surely does sound good to me. Maybe add a cup of green tea! Best wishes, Mary Anne

Becky
10-09-2007, 03:10 AM
Remission is the word that is used over cure. Oncs are never sure if you are cured although I believe some women are truly cured. Susan Love's breast book says they feel everyone is in remission yet, recently, the ASCO site had a study on triple negative disease saying if they haven't recurred in 8 years, they are considered cured. There is a long time for hormone positive disease recurrence (although small).

Remission is great! You are NED and doing well with good energy. You are truly blessed.

MJo
10-09-2007, 06:34 AM
My oncologist won't use the word "cured," although he has said "probably cured." I don't think we can use the word "cured" with cancer --- Yet.

PinkGirl
10-09-2007, 06:51 AM
Hi Faith
I have decided (just my opinion) that I'm going to die from something other than breast cancer, when I'm 100 years old, and just before I die I will raise my middle finger to breast cancer. That's my idea of "cure".

I also was compelled once to read my file. There was nothing in it that I didn't already know, but it upset me to read it anyway. I was reading a "drug sheet" about Herceptin and it said something about it being for a type of cancer that, before Herceptin, was considered to have a poor prognosis. I knew that, but it gave me a sinking feeling to read it. But there was no way I could have NOT read my file.

I'm happy for your "remission". Cure would be nice, and maybe with all the wonderful research that's going on, we will get to that. For now, "remission" is fantastic.