PDA

View Full Version : Call from my doctor

Vanessa
10-07-2007, 07:17 PM
Today, I got a call from my doctor. (Yes, I know it is Sunday). She asked me to be at her office at 9:00am. She stated that she has not seen the results of my MRI, but that we would look at the results together. She also told me to take 2 Decadrons this afternoon and one before I go to bed. She also ask me to bring someone to the appointment with me. Does anyone have any ideas of what to make of that? I am extremely nervous now, even though she said she has not seen the results of the MRI. Remember, it was done late Friday afternoon. I cannot figure out why she would want me to take the Decadron. Again, any ideas?

StillHere
10-07-2007, 07:35 PM
Vanessa, I can only assume your oncol wants to start you on a treatment tomorrow that will need a predose of prednisone. Please take her advise and take someone with you so there are two people taking in and digesting the info she has for you. As hard as it will be, please try to rest tonight and not worry about tomorrow until tomorrow. I will be watching for your post tomorrow. Take Care, and sleep well. We need restive sleep to help us heal. Peace Karen

Bev
10-07-2007, 08:17 PM
If she fibbed about the MRI, tell her you'd appreciate that she discontinue the fibbing practice. I know they curb some of the info to keep us sane, but I don't think that works while prescribing premeds.

If you're the kind of person that wants to know everything, tell the onc that's what you want from here on out. I haven't decided yet if I want to know everything so I let my onc slide when it comes to exact numbers on tests etc. (then I ask the nurse ever so casually)

Very mysterious. I hope there's some sort of benign explanation. I know who's not sleeping well tonight. Keep us posted. Bev

Sandy in Silicon Valley
10-07-2007, 08:18 PM
Hi, Vanessa -

It's such an anxious time - waiting for results...

When I had some similar symptoms - not falling, but loss of balance and dizziness - my oncologist also sent me for a brain MRI, and then called me into his office on short notice.

In my case, it turned out that the culprit was a fairly large (robin's egg- sized) bcmet tumor in my cerebellum (balance center). It had grown from nothing to that size in only 10 months, and was too big at that point for stereotactic radiation surgery (SRS - CyberKnife). It was near the surface of my skull, and fortunately, it was encapsulated, and the entire met was removed surgically.

I still have occasional balance/vertigo problems, but am in physical therapy and am almost back to normal, almost 2.5 years later.

I have no idea if your situation is going to be similar to mine, or very different. In your shoes, I'd be very anxious, too - and, in fact, I get anxious over scan results in general, each and every time, whether the doctors' concern gives me the jitters or not.

That your doc told you to take some Decadron before she sees you may indicate that she thinks there's there might be swelling in your brain, that she wants to control - but maybe not.

Just writing to let you know that there's someone out here who's been through the agonizing wait, imagining, and then received bad news, and got through it. I hope that your news tomorrow is much better than what you might be imagining!

Whatever you find out tomorrow, I'm pulling for you to make a full recovery, and to be able to hold that baby granddaughter in your arms with confidence - no more falls!

(((hugs)))
Sandy in Silicon Valley

hutchibk
10-07-2007, 08:49 PM
It sounds to me, too, like she has either a treatment in mind or another test or scan of some type... and if so, that could be why she needs you to bring someone with you. She might just be acting from an abundance of caution. The fact that you have fallen may worry her and she might think that you shouldn't be driving yourself anywhere until she finds the cause of the falls. I am not predicting that you will see anything on the scan, but when we found mine, they were tiny (5 pin pricks and two smaller than 9 mm), my onc and rads onc both told me that by law they had to advise me that I was not supposed to be behind the wheel of a car with known brain metastasis. I know this is agonizing, and it would be silly to suggest for you not to worry. But, please don't worry, at least not too much.

lilyecuadorian
10-07-2007, 09:03 PM
Vaneessa put everything and God hands ....and try to sleep and tomorrow go to your doc ..just thinking the worst that can be is maybe something really small with a lot of solutions ..and what about if only are some precautions or is nothing and we all worried ....let wait until tomorrow ...i know is hard but we need to hear all this good things that sister said all the times ....are excellent when our faith is low ...so keep it up and show yourself your strengh

StephN
10-08-2007, 12:01 AM
Dear Vanessa -
I had just written a response and a Google update just wiped it out!

My feeling is that this news does not bode well for a clean scan. My med onc was calling me before I even got home when my MRI showed mets.

He had not actually seen the scan but had a call from the radiologist who read my MRI that something showed and I should immediately start the decadron. This was because I had some diffuse inflammation and they want to start curbing this right away. Any treatment will cause more inflammation, except Tykerb.

The practice is that the radiologist calls the med oncs if there is something new or tumors are enlarging so they can act quickly and get the patient back in.

My best thoughts go with you to this important appt. You may not see this reply until you get home, as it is late on the west coast.

Sheila
10-08-2007, 03:50 AM
Vanessa
You are in my prayers that the scan will be fine, but if not, be thankful it has been caught early. Sending a big hug and lots of love.

DonnaD
10-08-2007, 05:05 AM
Dear Vanessa,
I am sorry you have to go through this waiting, even for one night. It is early Mon. morning and you are in many "sisters" thoughts and prayers. Trust you Dr. Remember we are all fighters. You have two wonderful new grand babies to watch grow up.

Donna

KellyA
10-08-2007, 05:13 AM
Dear Vanessa,

I am so sorry that you are having to go through such an agonizing wait. My thoughts and prayers are with you that all turns out well.

Love, Kelly

Jeanette
10-08-2007, 05:52 AM
Dear Vanessa, hoping and praying for the best results. Hang in there, hugs, Jeanette

newgg
10-08-2007, 06:48 AM
Hi Vanessa,

Was up at 4 am and could not sleep and I bet you were up as well. Should have had some instant message going to you to share prayers !! Big hugs ! These wonderful gals have you full of knowledge and what to expect but most important....full of power coming your way.
Hugs, Bonnie

lexigirl
10-08-2007, 08:54 AM
Vanessa,

I know how scary not knowing is. It sounds like you are in good hands and your docs have a plan of action ready to go, whatever the results are showing. Hold tight! NED is on its way!

Hugs and Prayers,
Lexi

Vi Schorpp
10-08-2007, 09:01 AM
Vanessa, and hoping you're doing alright...keep us posted...we're all thinking of you.

SusieQ
10-08-2007, 09:02 AM
Thinking about you and sending prayers for strength....

Margerie
10-08-2007, 09:10 AM
Oh, I just saw this Vanessa. I am so sorry your onc called you on a Sunday. Tell her if she was trying not to stress you out, it didn't work!!

Argghhh. Be strong and know we are all routing for you!

Brenda_D
10-08-2007, 09:49 AM
She may have gotten a call from the radiologist that read the MRI, and is trying to give some advance warning.

I know the only time I received a call to come in before the doctor's office even opened, was when I was told the outcome of my biopsy. The radiologist had called my doctor at night, at her home and informed her.

I hope for the best outcome for you.

tousled1
10-08-2007, 09:54 AM
Vanessa,

I too would be concerned if I got a call from my oncologist on a Sunday - not to mention to take Decadron and bring someone with you Monday morning. I'm hoping that it just means that she has a treatment plan that she wants to discuss with you and that someone should be there simply because of your falling episodes. Please let us know what happens. You're in my prayers.

Ruth
10-08-2007, 10:58 AM
Vanessa ~

I was so worried when I read your message about falling down and was hoping it was chemo related. Just as so many others said I know that you were not able to sleep last night....what an agonizing wait. I wish there was more we could for you. I'm hoping for the best.

Ruth

Audrey
10-08-2007, 11:05 AM
Vanessa,
I'm thinking of you today, along with everyone else here, and am sending you cyber hugs and prayers. Please let us know how it goes with the doctor today...

Barbara H.
10-08-2007, 11:11 AM
Hi Vanessa,
I just want you to know that you are in my thoughts.
Barbara H.

Becky
10-08-2007, 11:30 AM
Vanessa

I have been thinking of you all weekend and all day today.

Love to you

Sandy in Silicon Valley
10-08-2007, 11:43 AM
Hi, Vanessa -

From the previous posts in response to your messages about having fallen down, and then your doctor's sudden call on Sunday - it's evident that many of us are concerned about what you found out at your doctor's appointment this morning, what, if any, treatment you've decided on, and how you are coping with whatever information you received today...

Please post again, with an update...

(((hugs & good wishes)))
Sandy in Silicon Valley

Julie2
10-08-2007, 12:09 PM
Venessa,

Thinking of you, please let us know the update.

Julie

RhondaH
10-08-2007, 12:51 PM
me too. Keep checking for an update. Prayers still coming.

Rhonda

jones7676
10-08-2007, 01:01 PM
I am thinking of you - the damn waiting is so hard. I hoping/believing that if they did find something it is treatable. I will be watching for an update, cyber hugs to you.

nitewind
10-08-2007, 01:20 PM
I'm praying for you too. Please let us know when you can.
Hugs

mts
10-08-2007, 02:14 PM
Hi Vanessa-

Thinking of you.

Maria

BonnieR
10-08-2007, 02:18 PM
Vanessa, you have quite a group backing you up here. It reminds me of that Verizon commercial! And we are all awaiting your update.

Mary Jo
10-08-2007, 02:33 PM
I'm sending hugs and prayers to you dear Vanessa.

Love,

Mary Jo

Mary Anne in TX
10-08-2007, 02:40 PM
Hi Vanessa!
I leave in a few minutes for a brain MRI myself, but I will be so in a hurry to get home to see if you have given us word of your condition. I'm hoping its an overly careful Onc. and nothing more. Whatever the results, you have a massive amount of prayers coming at you hard and fast. Hope you'll soak in those positive thoughts and prayers and let them hold you tight!
May God's sweetest angels fly at your side for the next few days!
Mary Anne

chrisy
10-08-2007, 02:42 PM
Vanessa,
I missed your post yesterday, and of course by now you have some answers, and possibly a plan of attack if necessary. Despite the anxiety, I think you are blessed to have a doctor who considers your care so important.

Best wishes to you, and much love
Chris

tricia keegan
10-08-2007, 03:01 PM
Vanessa I just saw your post and wanted you to know I'm wishing the best for you and hoping there's a reasonable explanation for all this.

Andrea Barnett Budin
10-08-2007, 03:38 PM
Vanessa, Sounds like a call I got once from my onc (when liver mets were found). Come in at 5: w/Paul. What's going on? See some *abnormal* cells. After he said he never likes to tell such news on the phone. Worries about driving half crazed.

So I am praying my instincts are wrong with you, anyway. Call on Sunday, take Decadron, bring a companion. Whatever it is -- you have all our prayers. Hoping this is caught early on if it is something and is ripe for total destruction. Please let us know what's happening with you, Vanessa, as we're all holding our breath since yesterday, much like you must be. No matter what, you seem to be in caring, able hands... And you are surrounded by much love...
Waiting to hear, Andi

Lolly
10-08-2007, 03:41 PM
Vanessa, I'm sending hugs and prayers right now. You are all our thoughts as we wait to hear from you.

<3 Lolly

Ceesun
10-08-2007, 03:55 PM
Vanessa-Worried and wondering-hoping for a good outcome. Cathy aka Ceesun

Yorkiegirl
10-08-2007, 04:19 PM
Vanessa, I have been checking the posts all afternoon waiting to see an update.

Prayers are being said.

madubois63
10-08-2007, 05:30 PM
I doubt you'll be getting any sleep tonight - decadron and worry. I pray your appointment will go lots better than my out of the ordinary phone call. Please know we are all thinking of you and praying hard for negative (if you know what I mean) news...

Love - Maryann

JerseyGirl
10-08-2007, 05:50 PM
Vanessa, just wanted you to know we're still praying for you. If the news was good, I hope you're out celebrating...if it wasn't, I'm sure your onc has a plan of action to kick cancer butt!! And you'll feel so much better once you take action and control.
Please let us know how you are!!! We'd love to see your smiling face peering out at us.
((hugs))
Julie

sassy
10-08-2007, 06:49 PM
Vanessa,

Joining with everyone else, praying for you.

StillHere
10-08-2007, 07:14 PM
Vanessa, Pls let us know how you are doing !!!!
We are all so concerned for you. You have been in my thoughts all day long. Please write to us just as soon as you are up to it. Luv Karen

Erin
10-08-2007, 07:19 PM
Vanessa,

Can't say any more than everyone else has said. You are in my prayers!

kareneg
10-08-2007, 07:26 PM
You are in thoughts and prayers also.

caya
10-08-2007, 07:28 PM
Vanessa -

Adding my thoughts and prayers. We are all behind you.

all the best
caya

karen raines hunt
10-08-2007, 07:47 PM
Dear Vanessa,

You are in my thoughts and prayers...................

Karen

tousled1
10-08-2007, 08:38 PM
Vanessa,

Hoping that you got some good news today at the oncologist's. Please let us know what's happening. I believe we are all as anxious as you about this -- well maybe not as anxious as you but anxious all the same.

Faith in Him
10-08-2007, 09:20 PM
Vanessa,

We all been praying hard for you today. I know that whatever came your way today, God will give you the courage and grace to get throught it. And your onc has a plan to deal with it.

Sending love your way.
Tonya

BonnieR
10-08-2007, 10:12 PM
Thought I would let you all know that Vanessa has started a new thread titled "Update" so check it out....

Mary Jo
10-09-2007, 03:56 AM
Vanessa,

Prayers for you continuing this Tuesday morning. You haven't left my heart.

Mary Jo

janet11
10-09-2007, 06:39 AM
Even more prayers are winging their way to you -- for you and for your doctors..

Chelee
10-09-2007, 02:03 PM
Vanessa, I sure hope we hear from you soon. I have really been praying for you and will continue. I will keep checking back in here to see if your ok. Until then, hang in there and know you are in my thoughts and prayers!

Chelee